Why Do You Need More Than 15 Watts?

Stonedtone

• Members

Because a 60w and 4x12 v30s just barely cuts it my world. We all don't play the same stuff. I play 80s style hardcore punk, and my band, and hardcore punk bands in general are {censored}ing loud. We all aren't bar bands doing Van Morrison covers.

And this.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use a 100 watt NMV Marshall pinned almost flat out into two 4x12 cabs so I can hear over my drummer who hits his oak kit like a gorilla using 2B sticks, rides as crash cymbals, and a 14" rack tom.

Oh and my bass player who cranks a Mesa 400+ (500 watt tube amp) into an 8x10 cabinet.

Clubs let us play. I've met way more sound guys who are willing to make it work than pissy ones who like to argue.

Oh dude, I feel your pain. My bass player runs the exact same rig as yours. {censored}. Dude gets his overdriven distorted bass tone(which sounds fantastic BTW) by driving the power section on his amp into clipping.

IT'S LOUD AS {censored}

• Members

For the record, "Why do you need more than 15 watts?" is such a ridiculous question.

This isn't TGP, most guys here play metal. Ever try playing metal or similar genres with a low-watt tube amp? Yeah it sounds like {censored}. (yes, yes, mini Rec I KNOW) but even then the EL84s don't exactly deliver the same character as the big bottles.

• Members

Thats ridic, what cab does he use?

My bass player uses an Ampeg fridge, he'd blow the speakers to smithereens before he hit output distortion with that thing hahaha.

He's using 2 Ampeg 4x10s which is basically a fridge. But he is using a Mesa 400+. {censored} sounds sick but I worry ear plugs aren't enough sometimes because I feel it through my whole body so much so that I worry it's vibrating {censored} in my ears that isn't supposed to vibrate like that.

• Members

15 watts won't cut it with a hard hitting drummer in a 2 guitar Metal/Hard Rock band.
Simply just not enough volume.

With the band I'm currently in, I run my DSL 50 with the Master on 4.
I have been in bands in the past, using 100 watters with Master ran on 6-8.

No 15 watter would ever be heard in these situations.

So 15 watts, not for everyone. :poke:

• Members

same as horsepower , for when you do need it .

+1. And while there's a chance you will never need it, it is a nice option to have if by chance you do ever need it. Also, in some cases you don't have a choice..... For example: if you wanted Mesa Rectifier Tone your options were 50, 100, and 150 watts until just recently (Mini Recto 25). And quite frankly last time I checked it was a free country not to mention what works for someone may not work for someone else. Having said that, use whatever works for your personal needs and shut the hell up.... :)

• Members
I favor a 40-watter that is never turned up higher than half-way, and fairly often only turned about 1/3 of the way up...but, I also mic it through my PA, if needed, to get it as loud as the gig requires.

Used to gig w/ a SF Fender Princeton Reverb, that's what? 12 watts rms? It sounded pretty good mic'd, as well.

OTOH, my gigs are "grown-up music", not metal, so the right 15-watter is great!
:p

Your gigs aren't "gown-up" music" and neither are you if you have to make a statement like that.

• Members

I had an AC15C1. Loved that amp. I wasn't gigging or jamming with anyone and I loved everything about it.

Buddies call up to ask me to do a tribute gig. 'Sure' I say. 'What band?' Motley Crue...

So, we go to rehearsal and I'm loving the sound of the Vox. When it came time for me to do a solo... No go. Not enough headroom left. We weren't terribly loud either. The rhythm guitarist had a 50 watt JCM 800 combo, but it kept it fairly tame, and the drummer is fantastic, and can do the Crue stuff without tearing our heads off. But the 15 watts just couldn't quite cut.

I play a Fender Blues Deluxe with a CMATMODS Brownie now. No issues with volume...

I would like nothing more than to still have that AC15, but it just wasn't quite enough. If I was the only guitarist I could make it work.

• Members

Me? No, 15 watts is perfect for the current band (indoor or outdoor gigs, always mic'ed, & moderate drummer).
It is a damn loud amp for 15 w: homebrew Lightning 15.

That said, I wouldn't think of playing heavier styles with that amp. IMO, 15w doesn't produce enough low-end "thump" for convincing hard-rock/HM rhythm playing.

• Members

well,

with nice efficient speakers and playing dirty a lot, 15 or so watts can be really fun IF you don't play with a hard-hitting drummer. i have filled in for a couple of bands lately and the first one 15 watts was PLENTY. the guy i played with this past weekend, 15 watts wasn't nearly enough. for dirt it was cool, but the cleans were farting out. awesome PA too, but i don't like my amp in the monitor; i like to use my amp as a monitor and people who are at the stage, between the speakers, won't hear you well enough if your stage volume isn't cutting it. different venues make for various needs in terms of on-stage volume.

in summary, 5-15 watts can be really fun if everything fits in just nicely, but a higher wattage amp is more versatile in that it can be as soft or quiet as any low wattage amp but can also be much louder if you need it to be.

• Members

{censored} Terje I thought this was an old thread...didn't you start a thread like this a week ago?

Find me a 15 watt amp that sounds as massive as my Soldano. IMO a 15 watt amp can hang in a band unmiced if you have efficient speakers but it's still pushing it. I could use my JCA20 in a loud 2-guitar band, but barely.

Also, tonewise - most lower wattage amps come with EL84s or 6V6s, many don't like the small amp tone. I'd rather have the headroom and fat low end.

• Members

I've been playing live in that way for quite a long time. Playing outside is different, but I've never had a problem keeping up with my 15 watters.

I know everyone will point to headroom. I get the headroom I need. It doesn't have to be killer loud. I just like pushing the tubes. That's the tone I go for. You can't do that in most clubs with a 100W

Best answer I can say is headroom and bass. Baritone-guitar-clean-feel-it-in-your-gut BASS.

Clean and deep just ain't happening with your tiny 15W Princeton Reverb and it's 10" speaker...even if you mic it to the PA.

Archived