Why Do You Need More Than 15 Watts?

Stonedtone

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because I don't like power amp distortion?

how is that possible? it's marginally different than some preamp distortion, but it's kinda like saying 'i don't like manual transmissions'. on what kind of car? geared how? with what engine? in what conditions?

i understand what you're saying.. but it ain't always the same with every amp, and mebbe it's just a 'right condition/combination' sorta scenario that'd change your mind.

• Members
WTF is that? An outdoor "solo" gig in front of several hundred people with no P.A.??

First off, that's a {censored}ty gig, second, what the hell are you singing through?

Someone calling another persons gigs {censored}ty. :facepalm:

I play those type of gigs all of the time. Not {censored}ty at all unless you don't like easy money.

I play "clean" instrumentals solo through a very small 400 watt amp on the Chapman Stick.

My set-up is quick and the sound is very full. I could never get this sound with only 15 watts.

• Members

how is that possible? it's marginally different than some preamp distortion, but it's kinda like saying 'i don't like manual transmissions'. on what kind of car? geared how? with what engine? in what conditions?

i understand what you're saying.. but it ain't always the same with every amp, and mebbe it's just a 'right condition/combination' sorta scenario that'd change your mind.

My sound doesn't work with power amp distortion - I use a dual recto stack.

I played a gig with my Randall RM20 and Grail module and once it got up to gig level it sounded like ass as it was all "BLART" from the maxed out EL84s.

I use a tight, defined, high fidelity, high gain sound. At the volumes I play at (rock band), a 15W amp is running flat out and the power amp distortion {censored}s up my sound.

• Members

The OP asked "Why do you need more than 15 watts?", I answered for myself, not for everyone.

My sound doesn't work with power amp distortion - I use a dual recto stack.

I played a gig with my Randall RM20 and Grail module and once it got up to gig level it sounded like ass as it was all "BLART" from the maxed out EL84s.

I use a tight, defined, high fidelity, high gain sound. At the volumes I play at (rock band), a 15W amp is running flat out and the power amp distortion {censored}s up my sound.

i'm not saying it's for everyone-- but you can GET a high fidelity gain sound out of 15 watts. you just need to turn the bass down significantly to KEEP it from 'blarting' :D not a METAL tone, probably-- but you can get pretty far into dirt that way-- but it's a COMPLETELY different way of using an amp than a cascaded gain 100w master volume monster.

i'm not really trying to convince you to switch-- but sometimes people make the mistake of thinking one channel low watters are some inflexible beast that always sounds like it's gargling phlegm and coughing at low volumes. i'm just saying that expecting one to be like the other can be folly-- but they CAN do a lot of the same things.. it's just a different application.

• Members

i'm not saying it's for everyone-- but you can GET a high fidelity gain sound out of 15 watts. you just need to turn the bass down significantly to KEEP it from 'blarting'
:D
not a METAL tone, probably-- but you can get pretty far into dirt that way-- but it's a COMPLETELY different way of using an amp than a cascaded gain 100w master volume monster.

i'm not really trying to convince you to switch-- but sometimes people make the mistake of thinking one channel low watters are some inflexible beast that always sounds like it's gargling phlegm and coughing at low volumes. i'm just saying that expecting one to be like the other can be folly-- but they CAN do a lot of the same things.. it's just a different application.

I played a Matamp for ages, then a power-soaked plexi and a JMP - all of them requiring power amp distortion to get the gain up high enough for what I play.

I just don't like the sound of power amp distortion and have been extremely happy with my sound ever since I moved to the recto.

Big difference between all the amps I played before and the recto? Mesa power amp doesn't distort at the levels I'm using it at.

I've heard enough power amp dirt through enough amps to know the sound. It doesn't work for me.

This is my band playing in our practice room

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beQMJ64rhfQ

No way 15W is gonna work for that. I'm on the left BTW

• Members

I haven't had that problem. My Univalve and Carvin Vintage 16 are always very loud.

No they aren't.

I only class my JCM800 as fairly loud. Most class them as monsters.

I think my 1987 was pokier then my 800.

My JTM 45 runs out of headroom when I play with my blues band

So CLEARLY your experience is just yours..

Don't tar all of us with your tiny brush. :o

• Members

For the same reason that I put my whole penis in a woman when scientists argue that the vag is most sensitive in the first 3 inches. Sometimes they need more, and you can give them less if you have more, but you can't give them more if you have less.

How much difference do you think your extra 0.5" makes?

• Members

10x the power is only an increase of 6dB.

Wrong... 10x power = +10dbs and is twice as loud... dBs aren't linear

Getting a good metal tone starts getting hard below 50w (not impossible though). And over driven EL34 >>>>> over driven EL84... My clean channel on full = secks :love:

• Members

How many watts is a
:snax:
?

fyi: good metal tone comes from the preamp...which typically aren't high wattage.

You could still put the :snax: or any other good preamp through a low wattage power amp and it would tend to be mushy and not super tight as most metal heads prefer.... and of course you totally erased the "(not impossible though)" part in my quote :o

edit: AND the :snax: happens to be modeling high wattage amps :o

• Members

I favor a 40-watter that is never turned up higher than half-way, and fairly often only turned about 1/3 of the way up...but, I also mic it through my PA, if needed, to get it as loud as the gig requires.

Used to gig w/ a SF Fender Princeton Reverb, that's what? 12 watts rms? It sounded pretty good mic'd, as well.

OTOH, my gigs are "grown-up music", not metal, so the right 15-watter is great! :p

• Members

I use a 100 watt NMV Marshall pinned almost flat out into two 4x12 cabs so I can hear over my drummer who hits his oak kit like a gorilla using 2B sticks, rides as crash cymbals, and a 14" rack tom.

Oh and my bass player who cranks a Mesa 400+ (500 watt tube amp) into an 8x10 cabinet.

Clubs let us play. I've met way more sound guys who are willing to make it work than pissy ones who like to argue.

Archived