Does anyone here NOT like Van Halen?

Nerine

• Members

Oooooooooohhhh, you're so hip and artsy, can I touch you?
:love::lol:

Honestly not trying to imply my "path" on the guitar was any better than anyone elses -- just trying to clarify that when the EVH thing "blew up" in '78-79, I was 10,000% not on-board with that craze. I didn't "get it" then, and i still don't. :idk:

But that's just me; fiercely independent, anti-lemming and march to the beat of my own drummer.

No doubt some great players bore out of the whole Eddie thing though; Vita Bratta, Nuno, Reb Beach ... the list goes on....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's hard to NOT like them! I dunno, those four guys together, were absolute magic, no denying that. Dave wasnt exactly a fantastic singer, but they created a {censored} ton of distinctly memorable music together. The four of them were exactly what needed to be there to produce what they produced. {censored} is timeless.

• Members
I'm a big fan of every album they've put out except for III.

The only reason I don't like III is that I literally can't understand anything Gary Cherone is saying. It's unintelligible.

Unintelligible? Because he doesn't use sleazy lingo/sexual innuendos plus a lot of BABY BABY BABY in his lyrics? :facepalm:

• Members

Me...even though they were the 1st concert I went to. 1984 Tour!

Me too, except mine was during the 3 tour w/ Cherone. I like them, but I agree w/ the post that said only Americans seem to like them, despite 2 members being Dutch.

• Members

While Eddie was a media sensation as a lead guitarist and due to the media forcing him down our throats he influenced a lot of players... just not a fan of his lead playing or their songs. He's a great rhythm guitarist, but not so much a great lead player to my ears.

I also hate AC/DC & LZ.

Derek

• Members

I tried to like it.

I enjoy eruption but beyond that its simply not for me.

No denying their abilities to write hooks and eddie's abilities and influence on guitar but its simply a band I am not capable of enjoying.

That is pretty much my take on VH as well...

• Members

And NWOBH like Iron Maiden Motor Head Venom Diamond head etc... You should think about it before you type. Also check the venues Van halen played and where on the Bills.

They have never been so big in the UK, I am not saying they suck, just the UK doesn't get it, its not hot like Florida its miserable and wet like Seattle.

That's why we had bands like the smiths.

They have silver and gold albums in the UK. Just about as many as AC/DC for that matter. Again, somebody there likes them.

• Members

Interesting topic...I absolutely LOVE EVH as a guitarist, keyboardist, composer, musician, same goes for his brother on drums and MA on bass, and I really do love a lot of their music (both with Hagar and DLR...didn't care much for what they did with Cherone, niether did anyone else on the planet either apparently LOL), but as an entity, no, not really, the music comes off as really cheezy (ESPECIALLY during the DLR years LOL) and the whole "party band" vibe thing they try to give off as well as their personalities don't really do antything for me. But solely based on their music, and EVH's abilities, then yes.

• Members

They have silver and gold albums in the UK. Just about as many as AC/DC for that matter. Again, somebody there likes them.

Nah, we bought them to warn our children.

My wife - the New Jersey girl - loves 'em. And she has a thing for 80's vintage David Lee Roth. Me, I think he set new and unassailable standards of self-regarding {censored}wittery.

Archived