Does anyone here NOT like Van Halen?

Nerine

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Being a punk... I love when other punks talk {censored} about EVH, so I can bust their balls... about how Eddie's playing was non-conformist, his guitar and gear ethos were DIY and lead to revolutionizing the industry, and knew how to make a Marshall go ballistic...

Other than that... Van Halen
as a band
, mostly suck...

You're a self -proclaimed punk in 2012.

Way to buck the system there, rebel-rebel...........

• Members

The new album is such a disappointment and i'm sick of the classic stuff. i moved on years ago anyway.

:freak:

Now this I just don't get. I can't see how ANY old-school VH fan can't LOVE the new record. {censored}, it should've been called 1985! It's overall the heaviest, hardest-rocking record they've ever made, and many of those songs wouldn't have been at all out of place on one of the early records. (Particularly the 6 that were written back then!)

Still, to each his own, I suppose. :idk:

• Members

They also like bad euro pop, I can't account for taste or lack of it.

Joking apart van Halen have never been so popular on the uk. It was always bans a bit rougher like AC/DC and Iron Maiden.

Didn't stop them from several sold-out tours in the UK, though. :idk:

Considering the veritable tidal wave of limp-dick/homo-erotic synth pop that came out of the UK in the 80s, I'd have thought Van Halen would've come off VERY "rough" by comparison. :o

• Members

Mostly because they never wrote any great songs.

One thing Eddie did well is figure out to make heavy guitar based songs RADIO FRIENDLY. This is what separated them from most in the day - it was pretty heavy {censored} back then & you could still hear it on the radio ...

The whole "radio friendly" thing is something the heavier bands of today might want to rethink... I guess nobody wants to be a bonafied rock star anymore

• Members

Ok, I'll fess up. From DAY ONE, when I heard a copy of the Gene Simmons VH demo floating around back in 1977, I did not like Van Halen. This was largely confirmed when VH1 was released. I didn't like their songs, I hated DLR's "singing," and quite honestly, I had zero emotional connection to Eddie's guitar playing. Sure, he had chops, but it just wasn't "my thing" and it didn't catch my ears one bit.

So while everyone on the planet was losing their minds and finger tapping their brains out, I was coping cool horn lines from Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman :idk:

:wave:

• Members

Ok, I'll fess up. From DAY ONE, when I heard a copy of the Gene Simmons VH demo floating around back in 1977, I did not like Van Halen. This was largely confirmed when VH1 was released. I didn't like their songs, I hated DLR's "singing," and quite honestly, I had zero emotional connection to Eddie's guitar playing. Sure, he had chops, but it just wasn't "my thing" and it didn't catch my ears one bit.

So while everyone on the planet was losing their minds and finger tapping their brains out, I was coping cool horn lines from Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman
:idk:

:wave:

Oooooooooohhhh, you're so hip and artsy, can I touch you? :love::lol:

• Members
Didn't stop them from several sold-out tours in the UK, though.
:idk:

Considering the veritable tidal wave of limp-dick/homo-erotic synth pop that came out of the UK in the 80s, I'd have thought Van Halen would've come off VERY "rough" by comparison.
:o

And NWOBH like Iron Maiden Motor Head Venom Diamond head etc... You should think about it before you type. Also check the venues Van halen played and where on the Bills.
They have never been so big in the UK, I am not saying they suck, just the UK doesn't get it, its not hot like Florida its miserable and wet like Seattle.
That's why we had bands like the smiths.

• Members

I don't listen to VH very often, but every so often I find myself in the mood for it, and I'll usually listen to Balance or Fair Warning when I do.

F.U.C.K is also a pretty enjoyable album. VH I and 1984 are probably a bit overplayed to me, so I rarely listen to either one of those.

• Members

How can you play guitar and not like VH even a little bit?

Watch...

Here I am playing guitar.

And - hold on - here I am not liking Van Halen even a little bit.

Wait, wait. It gets better...

Here I am playing guitar and not liking Van Halen even a little bit at the same time!

I know, I know. It's staggering isn't it? Just natural ability and a lot of hard work. Please leave folding money only in the hat.

• Members

Watch...

Here I am playing guitar.

And - hold on - here I am not liking Van Halen even a little bit.

Wait, wait. It gets better...

Here I am playing guitar and not liking Van Halen even a little bit
at the same time!

I know, I know. It's staggering isn't it? Just natural ability and a lot of hard work. Please leave folding money only in the hat.

Clips?

• Members

I am only recently able to listen to VH. hear me out. I started working in a music store in 1981, and owned no VH records, so all I heard were lame attempts by customers. I hated VH. 30 years later, as the memories fade, it turns out they weren't so bad.

Well, maybe a little. Remeber the EVH line announcement at NAMM by Fender one year? I was walking by the ballroom as it was going on, and heard playing that sounded to me like a really drunk Eddie. The next day on Youtube I had confirmation that it WAS a really drunk Eddie.

Archived