Does anyone here NOT like Van Halen?

Nerine

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've always thought it was horrible music.

+1

The only people I've ever known to own/play VH records was the odd teenage girl circa the 80s.

Those 80s teenage girls who are now middle aged women.

yeah play VH, {censored} milfs. What is wrong with that? I've been doing it for years.

Tap that neck, tap that ass. :)

• Members

I love some VH.

I'm also not at all buying the idea that their music doesnt translate to the UK due to some aesthetic issues.

A FAR worse version of VH, Bon Jovi, are huge in the UK--4 gold albums and 5 platinum. Slippery When Went actually went 3X platinum.

If you read Hagar's biography he explicitly states how shocked he was at VH's lack of pull in most of Western Europe. The reason is simple--they never toured much there with DLR and tried to get big. DLR wanted to be the biggest band in America. Outside of Canada, Australia, and Japan they only did some very limited touring in non-US markets for that reason. They just didnt bother to put the time in and hit the road in those Euro markets

• Members

I love some VH.

I'm also not at all buying the idea that their music doesnt translate to the UK due to some aesthetic issues.

A FAR worse version of VH, Bon Jovi, are huge in the UK--4 gold albums and 5 platinum. Slippery When Went actually went 3X platinum.

If you read Hagar's biography he explicitly states how shocked he was at VH's lack of pull in most of Western Europe. The reason is simple--they never toured much there with DLR and tried to get big. DLR wanted to be the biggest band in America. Outside of Canada, Australia, and Japan they only did some very limited touring in non-US markets for that reason. They just didnt bother to put the time in and hit the road in those Euro markets

No, it's because JBJ is seen by the ladies as being more honest/sincere/husband-material than the one night stand and no call back offered by DLR.

• Members

DLR era VH is good {censored}. Eddie is in the top 3 most influential guitarists of the solid body electric guitar era of the 20th century. We all owe him a debt of gratitude. Rock/metal guitarists that don't get that ... are fools

• Members

hmmm..."valid"...yet "unjustified".

derp! Gonna have to try that one!

The generalisation about the UK is unjustifiable* because we don't all like Morrisey - but the point that liking Morrissey invalidates any other opinion one has about music is perfectly valid.

*Not 'unjustified' - that's a different word. I know, I know. They put in some different letters at the end and try to make out that that changes the meaning. Bastards.

• Members
women and children first, fair warning, and 1984 are totally genius rock records. van halen and van halen ii are great.. but those three...

c'mon now.

Indeed. WACF and FW simply because they contain some real gems that didn't get (over)played.

Could it be EVH suffers from a bit of Malmsteen-malady? Seems to me he used the same {censored} over and over quite a bit.

Can't discount his influence...though I only signed up for that a couple years as a young teen. After I saw everyone AND their bother and sister copying, I gleaned on to YJM and RR. I know...imagine me bucking the hot trend. :rolleyes:

• Members

The generalisation about the UK is unjustifiable* because we don't all like Morrisey - but the point that liking Morrissey invalidates any other opinion one has about music is perfectly valid.

*Not 'unjustified' - that's a different word. I know, I know. They put in some different letters at the end and try to make out that that changes the meaning. Bastards.

:o . Did not mean to misquote ya mate!

• Members

Actual fans from a VH gig two weeks ago.

snip

:lol:

and the guy who took them:

006.tockids.firstwords.staff.Jake.jpg

A Morrissey fan for sure. Probably looking for the worst possible pics to make him feel better about his own gayness.

The last VH show here in LA was packed with hot chicks, fyi.

• Members
Actual fans from a VH gig two weeks ago.

371.mu.VanHalenHair01.jpg
371.mu.VanHalenHair02.jpg
371.mu.VanHalenHair03.jpg
371.mu.VanHalenHair04.jpg
371.mu.VanHalenHair05.jpg
371.mu.VanHalenHair06.jpg
371.mu.VanHalenHair07.jpg
371.mu.VanHalenHair08.jpg
371.mu.VanHalenHair09.jpg

:lol:

What you expect 40 somethings to stop listening to what they grew up with - LOL at you. If nothing else, we were lucky enough to live through the 80's when music was f'n awesome compared to the utter {censored} today & we had massive arena shows with uber bands like VH. The self-pwnt is strong with this one ...

Archived