Rant: why kids and guitars don't mix...

kwakatak

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awwww, Neil.....soooo sorry to hear about that.

Actually, if you were able to dry it out quickly, I'm sure there will be no harm done.

When my gits got skunked, I used orange and lemon peels and a handful of cloves inside them to rid them of the skunk stench. Worked great. Just sit the dear old Tak outdoors or near an open window during the day and let it air out. A couple of weeks later, the citrus fragrance had abated and the gits smelled like gits again.

Lastly, be glad it wasn't beer....that stinks up a git almost as bad as skunk!!

P.S. I second Stack's suggestion of Vodka. I can remember a time or two a little "medicinal dose" of an adult beverage removed the temptation to throttle a small child....LOL

• Members

You're angry now. But in a couple years (OK maybe a decade or so) this will be one of those funny family stories that you can use to get back at them. Trust me you'll need ammo because they wily as they age.

• Members

You're angry now. But in a couple years (OK maybe a decade or so) this will be one of those funny family stories that you can use to get back at them. Trust me you'll need ammo because they wily as they age.

Pretty much my exact thoughts......

Remember the time with the kids goes by so quickly so that is just part of the ride them going from little to large........So what do you think, was it premeditated or accidental or as Kids often are experimental to see what happens?

• Members

Pretty much my exact thoughts......

Remember the time with the kids goes by so quickly so that is just part of the ride them going from little to large........So what do you think, was it premeditated or accidental or as Kids often are experimental to see what happens?

They do it for the same reasons the PB&J sammiches used to go in the VCR, because they can.

• Members

We had a party a few weeks ago and for whatever reason, all the kids assembled themselves in my room and started making a mess. I'm still not sure why---I guess they must've needed a footstool or something---but I came in to find someone standing on my guitar case. With a guitar inside, of course.

It was a hard TKL case and my Gretsch is just fine (kudos to TKL), but it was VERY hard to ask the kid nicely to get off my guitar case.

Orange juice in the guitar, eh? Maybe they thought it was thirsty or something :facepalm:. lol...bad joke. I hope your guitar will be OK, man!

• Members

We had a party a few weeks ago and for whatever reason, all the kids assembled themselves in my room and started making a mess. I'm still not sure why---I guess they must've needed a footstool or something---but I came in to find someone standing on my guitar case. With a guitar inside, of course.

It was a hard TKL case and my Gretsch is just fine (kudos to TKL),
but it was VERY hard to ask the kid nicely to get off my guitar case.

Orange juice in the guitar, eh? Maybe they thought it was thirsty or something
:facepalm:
. lol...bad joke. I hope your guitar will be OK, man!

+1000

That sort of thing infuriates me, but the little ones simply don't understand. Sometimes it's VERY hard to be kind.

• Members

+1000

That sort of thing infuriates me, but the little ones simply don't understand. Sometimes it's VERY hard to be kind.

I knew the kid from church and she's really a sweet girl. I'm sure she probably didn't realize how potentially bad a situation that was and she obviously didn't mean it. Still, though...

• Members

P.S. I second Stack's suggestion of Vodka. I can remember a time or two a little "medicinal dose" of an adult beverage removed the temptation to throttle a small child....LOL

At a restaruant I once offered to buy a particularlly unruly two year old gentelman a vodka tonic in the interest of improving his attitude. Needless to say his parents were not amused. It was an expensive place and I would think the dinner he wasted would have paid for a baby sitter.

• Members

Why is it that parents allow their kids to misbehave in planes and restaurants?

I do not blame the children.

The general public, while loving and caring for our collective children, does not find every shrill scream, rant and temper tantrum to be adorable.

If you can't or won't control them, can you please leave them at home?

Otherwise, be prepared to suffer insults such as Dave W's (and worse).

• Members

Why is it that parents allow their kids to misbehave in planes and restaurants?

I do not blame the children.

The general public, while loving and caring for our collective children, does not find every shrill scream, rant and temper tantrum or be adorable.

If you can't or won't control them, can you please leave them at home?

Otherwise, be prepared to suffer insults such as Dave W (and worse).

Some parents are enablers. I while back I was at a local pawn shop trying some guitars. I treat any guitar with the same respect I treat my own. A couple with a five year old comes in. The kid hears the guitar, runs up to me , watches for a second, then tries to grab for the guitar. I lift up the guitar high enough so he can't reach it, and in response the kid falls on his back and lets out a banshee wail that would put Robert Plant to shame. The next thing I know I have a pair of angry parents in my face.

• Members

Some parents are enablers.

Present company excluded, of course. I get the impression that Kwak is a particularly attentive parent. :thu:

Otherwise, Q, it ain't just planes and restaurants. I'm driven nearly insane by kids run amok in the supermarket, on the subway, in the front courtyard of my apartment building (which several morons who've bred mini-morons have evidently mistaken for a 24-hour playground [Edit: I live on the first floor...]), in movie theaters (which I seldom visit anymore), on the street... Man, don't get me started on "Bring Your Kids to Work" Day... :mad:

What sets my ire on fire is that the parents are clearly deaf to their own kids in most or all of these cases. They've developed that thousand-yard stare that allows them to look right past the worst behavior in their children. If parents want to practice that kind of denial in their well sound-proofed homes, I have no problem with that. But once you're out in public, pay some frickin' attention to what's going on.

A little OJ in a git, though... That kind of thing is going to happen. Eventually I'm sure I'll get around to flooding one of my own gits with the coffee I always tell myself not to put where I always put it...

• Members

I found a cheap laminated wood dread at a yard sale. Paid $5 for it cause the heal at the neck was pulling away from the body. A drilled hole, a block of wood inside the body, and a long nut and bolt and the guit is playable. That's the one that's within reach for the grandsons (1 & 3 y/o). If they beat the crap out of that one, I don't care. The 3 y/o will pick it up and strum on it once in a while...if I'm lucky he'll some day ask grampa to teach him to really play.

• Members

I found a cheap laminated wood dread at a yard sale. That's the one that's within reach for the grandsons (1 & 3 y/o). If they beat the crap out of that one, I don't care.

Yeah thats basically what I did to get my guitars past my three boys for the past 10 years. Each kid got his own beater early on which de-mystifies the instrument and muzzles any curiosity. BUT, when their little friends are over, it is amazing the universal impulse to twist on the tuning keys.

• Members

I found a cheap laminated wood dread at a yard sale. Paid $5 for it cause the heal at the neck was pulling away from the body. A drilled hole, a block of wood inside the body, and a long nut and bolt and the guit is playable. That's the one that's within reach for the grandsons (1 & 3 y/o). If they beat the crap out of that one, I don't care. The 3 y/o will pick it up and strum on it once in a while...if I'm lucky he'll some day ask grampa to teach him to really play.

Yup...this is what I generally do. I've got an ancient Yammie FG160, from the mid 70s, that is, apparently, indestructible, and that's the one I leave out where visiting rugrats (and drunken adults) can strum a bit. :thu:

• Members

Geez... How do you get that stuff out? It gets all sticky and nasty. I can imagine the summer will be interesting 'cause wasps and yellow jackets really go fo that stuff. And I second Big Al's question about how Sammi managed to get her guitars skunked. Two at the same time? Eeeesh.

Archived