Rant: why kids and guitars don't mix...

kwakatak

• Members

Fair enough. Just bear in mind that some of us with kids prone to throwing tantrums in public do not do it just to annoy you. It may not even be the parents' fault. Some kids just do not have any other way to communicate and give little warning when frustration reaches a certain point.
:blah:

I don't mean to suggest that it is deliberate or ill-intended. And anything can happen, but parents need to deal with it when it happens.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Egads!

I'd have started the day with a Bloody Mary after waking up to that! (Right after flushing the child down the toilet)

I practically rugby tackled him off of it. LOL.

Luckily no damage to the case or guitar... These days I keep 'em well away from him... but bought him a little guitar for his birthday so he can strum along, you can't start them too early, and he really enjoys it. (And I enjoy playing nursery rhymes to him)

<Apicture1doj.png>

I was surprised how decent it sounded for

• Members

I don't mean to suggest that it is deliberate or ill-intended. And anything can happen, but parents need to deal with it when it happens.

I have to side with you on this one. I always took my kids outside when they were young and prone to outbursts. That's just me. Besides, have you ever glanced around restaurants and watched the table manners and etiquette of other diners? Disgusting. Go to some fine dining joint and over there sits a guy sloppily devouring at his trough. Japanese diners are the worst. They eat like animals. Fer crissake lose the chop sticks, stop gnawing off mouthfuls and use a knife and fork for that slab of meat! I'll still go to restaurants with the family but I'll usually just have a drink.

• Members

I guess this is where I differ from most about the kids............Kids will be kids, and yes, sometimes the parents need to handle the situation appropriately.

It's the Damn Cell Phones that are going off in the Restaurants that drive me crazy........Fer cry'n out loud leave the F#ck'n things in your car.

• Members

Seriously, as a father of 3 ranging in age from 2 to 13, I feel your pain. All 3 of my kids constantly spill stuff (yes, even the 13 year old). The best thing to do is take a deep breath and try and calm down after they do something dumb. It is important to always remember they are kids.

Does your 13 year old still drop plates and glasses on the kitchen tile several times a month when doing the dishes?

We both (the kid and I) get very stressed looks on our faces when she does that. Deep, calming breaths, and occaisionally sending her to her room for her own protection are usually necessary. The 9yo gets sent to his room much more frequently.

I never knew that, as a child, when I got sent to my room, it wasn't really a punishment, but my parents getting me away from them while they tried to calm down and not do violence upon my person. I asked them about that recently. They confessed to using that for the same reason I do.

• Members

Why is it that parents allow their kids to misbehave in planes and restaurants?

I do not blame the children.

The general public, while loving and caring for our collective children, does not find every shrill scream, rant and temper tantrum to be adorable.

If you can't or won't control them, can you please leave them at home?

Otherwise, be prepared to suffer insults such as Dave W's (and worse).

Do you have kids? Idk, I don't think you do. You can do as much as you can to make them behave, but its never gonna happen every minute of every day. Especially not when you're out somewhere new. Sorry, but that's where they get the most stimulation, and the most opportunities to get into crap.

Also, small children lack the mental filter that adults have. When they first learn how to feel emotions beyond the basic needs of the human body. That's what they are developing in the 2-3 year range. They can feel an emotion, but not just to a certain degree...i.e.: if they feel a little anger over something, it is translated in the brain as full blown anger. If they are sad because you say no, it is translated into end of the world sadness. It is NOT a fault of the parent, but merely the way that ALL HUMANS develop. Including YOU. Yes, at one point, you were that way. IT IS NOT PREVENTABLE. It is a fact of nature. Yes, many parents should learn how to deal with it better. But lemme tell you, with three babies of my own, 6, 3, and 2, sometimes I find myself a little worn out, a little ragged, and a little outnumbered. And, sometimes, you can't just leave the store, because you really do need to have something critical. i.e.: baby's all out of diapers, and shat in the one she's wearing. Yep, it happens.

• Members

Do you have kids? Idk, I don't think you do. You can do as much as you can to make them behave, but its never gonna happen every minute of every day. Especially not when you're out somewhere new. Sorry, but that's where they get the most stimulation, and the most opportunities to get into crap.

Also, small children lack the mental filter that adults have. When they first learn how to feel emotions beyond the basic needs of the human body. That's what they are developing in the 2-3 year range. They can feel an emotion, but not just to a certain degree...i.e.: if they feel a little anger over something, it is translated in the brain as full blown anger. If they are sad because you say no, it is translated into end of the world sadness. It is NOT a fault of the parent, but merely the way that ALL HUMANS develop. Including YOU. Yes, at one point, you were that way. IT IS NOT PREVENTABLE. It is a fact of nature. Yes, many parents should learn how to deal with it better. But lemme tell you, with three babies of my own, 6, 3, and 2, sometimes I find myself a little worn out, a little ragged, and a little outnumbered. And, sometimes, you can't just leave the store, because you really do need to have something critical. i.e.: baby's all out of diapers, and shat in the one she's wearing. Yep, it happens.

Well, I raised two kids. I actually do understand all of this. I am not being critical of the children. I love kids. And now I am a grandfather.

Generally, the children I see are well-behaved. Not always. I was only referring to parents who fail to take any action when their children act out. I do not expect children to behave "every minute of every day". That is not what I said.

Part of being a good parent is to teach the child good social skills. Occasionally in public this seems to be lacking.

That is all.

And by the way, kathryn, let me say... :wave:

Welcome to the HC Acoustic Guitar Forum. Glad to have you here.

(I'm not really a beast, although several forumites will take issue with me on that point.) :D

• Members

Both Kathryn and Q have it right.

Kids are going to be kids. But adults are smarter. As such, we're supposed to know how to handle kids when they're being kids.

If you know they'll stick foreign objects in your guitars (because it will happen), put them out their reach (if the gits mean enough to you). When they get out of hand in public (because it will happen), do what's necessary to bring them back in line.

Too often, one sees a child screaming and the parent is ignoring them. This might work at home where you're trying to teach them that their acting out is not going to get your attention, but when you're in public, you have to be somewhat considerate of others and handle the situation. In other words, don't practice in public.

You'll never stop kids being kids. But as a smarter adult, you should know how to increase the chance that their actions will have minimal effect.

• Members

Well, I raised two kids. I actually do understand all of this. I am not being critical of the children. I love kids. And now I am a grandfather.

Generally, the children I see are well-behaved. Not always. I was only referring to parents who fail to take any action when their children act out. I do not expect children to behave "every minute of every day". That is not what I said.

Part of being a good parent is to teach the child good social skills. Occasionally in public this seems to be lacking.

That is all.

And by the way, kathryn, let me say...
:wave:
Welcome to the HC Acoustic Guitar Forum. Glad to have you here.

(I'm not really a beast, although several forumites will take issue with me on that point.)
:D

I do appreciate the clarification, the rant seemed a bit onesided to me. Sorry I took offense to it, I do appreciate that there are parents out there who don't do things the right way with their children. But, there are instances when it happens even to the best parents, and sometimes, there just isn't much you can do about it....I had one such instance with an insane temper-tantrum from my 2 year old, and was so shocked and embarassed, I really didn't know what to do. I mean, you can't give in to the chold, because that just makes it worse, and it was one of her first tantrums ever... I ended up holding her and gently trying to cover her mouth while running for cover, lol! It was awkward, embarassing, and I didn't seem to get any understanding from people either way I did it. While she was screaming, people stared at me rudely, while I was trying to escape with her that way, people looked at me like I was a monster, honestly, I was completely unable to do any better. WHAT a MESS!

Thank you for the welcome, I do hope to be seeing you on here again! I do enjoy a good debate! Helps you know, what with three little ones being my only real stimuli most of the day!

• Members

I do appreciate the clarification, the rant seemed a bit onesided to me. Sorry I took offense to it, I do appreciate that there are parents out there who don't do things the right way with their children. But, there are instances when it happens even to the best parents, and sometimes, there just isn't much you can do about it....I had one such instance with an insane temper-tantrum from my 2 year old, and was so shocked and embarassed, I really didn't know what to do. I mean, you can't give in to the chold, because that just makes it worse, and it was one of her first tantrums ever... I ended up holding her and gently trying to cover her mouth while running for cover, lol! It was awkward, embarassing, and I didn't seem to get any understanding from people either way I did it. While she was screaming, people stared at me rudely, while I was trying to escape with her that way, people looked at me like I was a monster, honestly, I was completely unable to do any better. WHAT a MESS!

Thank you for the welcome, I do hope to be seeing you on here again! I do enjoy a good debate! Helps you know, what with
three little ones being my only real stimuli most of the day
!

:facepalm: Egads.

Thanks for giving a quick personal profile. It'll help when your (hopefully occasional) posts read like unrecognizable babble. I do like a good cipher now and then.

My kids never really spontaneously exploded. It was more like a storm on the horizon heralding the end of the bar-b-que. I took the duty of running interference for my wife when I was home. Ours were 5 years apart so it was a very negotiable young years period with both boys.

Welcome aboard.

• Members

Thank you for the welcome, I do hope to be seeing you on here again! I do enjoy a good debate! Helps you know, what with three little ones being my only real stimuli most of the day!

If good debates is what you are looking for, you are home. Fortunately there is not much flaming, for that you can go to the electric side. That is fun too sometimes...

Welcome

:wave:

• Members

Update: the guitar is dried out and restrung. It actually smells better. I was worried that it was gonna smell like bad fruit. This guitar is a true beater but I love raving about it and playing it with no restraint.

Archived