Rant: why kids and guitars don't mix...

kwakatak

• Members

FWIW I've got a 2 year-old who gets into everything and a 5 year-old who's autistic. Part of his autism seems to be ADHD (never stops, never listens) and OCD (finds hiding places for everything.) Yeah, I was a little mad but what're you gonna do. You cannot discipline this child - even though I'm not an attentive parent. I'm more like the cleanup crew, really.

As for the guitar: laminated back & sides & top so no harm I guess. There's extra lumber inside like BItt81's git and mine cost even less than his. Cheap and beat as it is it still has sentimental value form long years of ownership. For the time being I'm gonna put it on the front porch - away from the sandbox. :cop:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The sugar in the orange juice will act as glue when it dries. Your guitar will be stronger (and healthier - vitamin C). ;)

Seriously, as a father of 3 ranging in age from 2 to 13, I feel your pain. All 3 of my kids constantly spill stuff (yes, even the 13 year old). The best thing to do is take a deep breath and try and calm down after they do something dumb. It is important to always remember they are kids.

• Members

Seriously, as a father of 3 ranging in age from 2 to 13, I feel your pain. All 3 of my kids constantly spill stuff (yes, even the 13 year old). The best thing to do is take a deep breath and try and calm down after they do something dumb. It is important to always remember they are kids.

It's a known fact that children create a gravity warp in their aura. The laws of physics are suspended, actually until they move out of the house. This explains how they can drop things that are already flat on the floor and why you have stains on your ceiling.

It is written on the tablets at the alter of Our Lady of Perpetual Motion.

You think I'm making this up. :facepalm:

• Members
Geez... How do you get that stuff out? It gets all sticky and nasty. I can imagine the summer will be interesting 'cause wasps and yellow jackets really go fo that stuff.
And I second Big Al's question about how Sammi managed to get her guitars skunked. Two at the same time? Eeeesh.

Blame an innocent dog and my f***tard ex.

Both gits were out on their stands one evening.

The beagle took a huge, close-range hit from a skunk, then ran in the house via the doggie door.

My ex grabbed the dog, dragged her into my office/music room and said to me: "here, I have a little present for you"

The poor dog was shaking herself and rubbing all over everything....including my gits and worse.....me!!

In the meantime, the HVAC system was going full blast and distributed the stench throughout the house in very short order.

It was NOT a pleasant evening, nor was the week that followed. :mad:

I can tell you....people look at you real funny when you're in the checkout line at Wal-Mart and your buggy contains 10 gallons of Febreeze, 10 giant boxes of baking soda, 50 scented candles and numerous cans of air freshener. :facepalm:

• Members

When I was still with my 2nd wife (I'm on number 3 now) my dog Smokey had never seen a skunk before as we always kept him locked in our backyard in Katy, TX. When we moved to CT the rock wall at the apartments we lived at had skunks nesting in them. The dumb-s**t dog thought one was another dog, stuck his snout under the tail and got the rudest awakening of his life. He literally crawled on all fours crying into our apartment where we tried the old wives remedy of tomato juice. Our bathroom looked like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre after we finished and he still stunk. We got this stuff Skunk-away from the vet to kill the smell and that half worked. He smelled slightly like skunk til the day we put him down several years later.

BigAl :lol::blah:

• Members

I wish I had a temperament like you guys. OJ in my guitar would flip me out.

+1. That's stuff's way too expensive to be feeding to a Tak.

No complaints here. My kids are weird. From early on they were bookworms and still at 10 and 15 you can find them squirreled away in their rooms reading or playing keyboard or violin, respectively. I'm getting a bit of resistance from the older one about learning to drive. No interest there whatsoever.

• Members

+1. That's stuff's way too expensive to be feeding to a Tak.

No complaints here. My kids are weird. From early on they were bookworms and still at 10 and 15 you can find them squirreled away in their rooms reading or playing keyboard or violin, respectively. I'm getting a bit of resistance from the older one about learning to drive. No interest there whatsoever.

Ok you are right, they sound weird,

BUT a very good weird!

I can appreciate your "no complaints" You have gotten lucky or Done a good job, Congratulations!

• Members

i think kids acting out and messing with guitars and stuff has a lot to do with a lack of dicipline on the part of the parents. people just don't fart in their kids' faces anymore. sad, really.

love,
eor

• Members

I keep a cheap mandolin for the grandkids to play when I have them over. One was staying with us for a couple of weeks. I came home from work and the Tele I leave on the stand didn't have any knobs on it!:confused::cry:

I looked everywhere and finally I asked my grandson, of course he didn't know what happened. Anyway, after a couple of days he came into my office and grabbed the mandolin and it rattled something awful, I determined the location of my Tele knobs.:lol:

• Members

I'm beyond giving a {censored} what people in public think; I'm just trying to live a normal life just like they are.
:facepalm:

Here's the point, Neil. If I pay $100 for dinner out with my girlfriend, I'm not actually paying $100 for a steak (or whatever). I'm paying for atmosphere and service and an enjoyable evening. That is, after all, what they are selling.

This can be destroyed by a child throwing a temper tantrum and screaming for a long time.

It is the responsibility of the parents to remove the child from the restaurant if they cannot control the child.

If they do not, and if the manager didn't ask them to, then I would not include a gratuity, and I would not return to the restaurant. I would certainly feel cheated out of all the reasons I went there in the first place.

If I want to hear screaming, I can just turn on the TV and listen to a Billy Mays infomercial. (An option I seldom avail myself of.)

• Members

My girlfriend's son is 3.5 I woke one morning to find him jumping up and down on my Taylor 210 in it's case. Not the best way to start a day.

Egads!

I'd have started the day with a Bloody Mary after waking up to that! (Right after flushing the child down the toilet)

• Members
Here's the point, Neil. If I pay $100 for dinner out with my girlfriend, I'm not actually paying $100 for a steak (or whatever). I'm paying for atmosphere and service and an enjoyable evening. That is, after all, what they are selling.

This can be destroyed by a child throwing a temper tantrum and screaming for a long time.

It is the responsibility of the parents to remove the child from the restaurant if they cannot control the child.

If they do not, and if the manager didn't ask them to, then I would not include a gratuity, and I would not return to the restaurant. I would certainly feel cheated out of all the reasons I went there in the first place.

If I want to hear screaming, I can just turn on the TV and listen to a Billy Mays infomercial. (An option I seldom avail myself of.)

Fair enough. Just bear in mind that some of us with kids prone to throwing tantrums in public do not do it just to annoy you. It may not even be the parents' fault. Some kids just do not have any other way to communicate and give little warning when frustration reaches a certain point. :blah::blah::blah:

Archived