A Forum Where...

JasmineTea

• Members

Formites tell other forumites what they can and cannot hear.

Opinions are enforced, and the herd mentality is encouraged by the enforcers, and the herd.

A discussion as to whether handmade guitars are worth the price goes into 10 pages.

There are tone def luthiers who get pushy with anyone who can hear subtle differences in saddle material, bridge pins, tunning machines, and of all things, back and side woods.

I used to get private messeges from various people, some I hardly knew, begging me to come back to the forum because it was going to {censored} without me. Now however, I'm called a troll when I encourage others to think and listen for themselves.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JT,

I have known you since I joined the forum. You have always provided good information and usefull guidance, though usually with a bit of an edge. Over the years you seemed to have become an increaslingly angry person and I am not sure why. I don't judge you as I hardly know you, just an "observation". I hope your life in general is happier than it appears to be while you are here. It is really just the internet, you know?

• Members

Opinions are enforced, and the herd mentality is encouraged by the enforcers, and the herd.

A discussion as to whether handmade guitars are worth the price goes into 10 pages.

There are tone def luthiers who get pushy with anyone who
can
hear subtle differences in saddle material, bridge pins, tunning machines, and of all things, back and side woods.

You might like AGF.

• Members

I remember your "Totamus is a dumbass" thread. It never bothered me, nor do you. That was a nice way to demonstrate all a forum can be, eh? I enjoy your posts for the most part, but it seems like you are calling the kettle black.

I could not possibly express it any better than Dave W did: "I hope your life in general is happier than it appears to be while you are here. It is really just the internet, you know?"

• Members

There are tone def luthiers who get pushy with anyone who
can
hear subtle differences in saddle material, bridge pins, tunning machines, and of all things, back and side woods.

I used to get private messeges from various people, some I hardly knew, begging me to come back to the forum because it was going to {censored} without me. Now however, I'm called a troll when I encourage others to think and listen for themselves.

That's right. It really is just an internet forum, on which there are many many people you have not met in person. It's really not worth getting worked up about anything on HC. You can never tell what is behind these virtual words. You can hardly tell when you look someone in the eye, let alone when they are thousands of miles away from a different culture and just typing.

On the other hand, there are lots of people exercising their ego. Definitely worth bearing in mind before you lose any sleep.

• Members

I don't disagree with some of your points. However, I assume most of us choose to ignore/filter those who we deem are ego driven/trolls/agenda driven and take the positive comments and input for what its worth. If you can't manage that, then I guess you need to decide if you want to stay or not.

• Members

for the great majority of us I think the sense of community, the sharing of ideas and information and some good laughs is what we come here for. I personally have learnt a massive amount from this forum, have a lot of fun with some of the threads and posts and have great admiration with some of the playing I see and hear. Why the bitterness? +1000 to Dave W.'s "it's really just the internet" but what's the matter with "virtual acquaintances" getting together and sharing experiences and expertise?

Personally in my early days here Totamus helped me get in contact with a guitar store from which I nearly bought a HD-28 (lovely people to talk to and deal with), I bought a beautiful Guild from Bernie P. Gary made me a new bone saddle for my D-35 (yes - he is a very skilled luthier and simply a nice guy), Garthman has helped me immensely with sorting out an under saddle pickup and I have great pm's with TESmith about life in general. Knockwood makes me piss myself laughing with regularity too :lol:. None of this would have occurred without that sense of community.

I greatly respect the opinions of the experienced players here and it all contributes to my learning and love of the instrument.

If you really don't want to be part of that you don't have to be and I have to agree with others who mention your imbalanced nature ... I'm sure many have nothing against you - so again - why the bitterness?

• Members

The world is a clique-ish place. This, like any other internet forum, is no different than the real world.

When you were in school, did you go around shaming various groups for sharing the same likes and dislikes because they didn't include yours?

If you don't like what you're reading, ignore it or go away. You are acting very similar to the pucker-butts of the world that don't like the smut they see on TV or in the movies. If this place isn't your cup of tea, then find something that is, or start your own.

• Members

I've seen many "I had enough of this forum I'm leaving for good" posts since I joined and thought the same thing each time... If you are leaving why are posting about it just ummm go? If you are looking for the forum community to beg you back then you have problems to address in your life that have nothing to do with bone vs plastic saddle material.

• Members

I think the idea is that he's nostalgic for the Good Old Days and by bringing these issues to the forefront, he can remold the forum to his ideal.

Trying to guilt somebody into doing something doesn't work.

Leading by example might.

• Members

It is often said, "If you do not like the show, change the channel".

Any gathering of people that involves sharing thoughts, you will find varying opinions.....But the cool thing about places like this is that we can spout out our thoughts and opinions......

I have to chime in in agreement, I also have learned a great deal on this site, made a few friendships,that are growing beyond just guitar speak, also on here, had a few laughs and shed a few tears.....

Oh I have gotten worked up and pissed off on occasion, But THAT IS WHEN YOU HAVE TO LAUGH.....it is an Internet forum, not a world problem solving summit!

Over all there are a great bunch of people here

Sure there are some you will not agree with, some that will rub you the wrong way......But that is the same as any gathering in life. We do seem blessed with more than a few genuine and good hearted people, and that is a good thing!

Oh I have to ask why does it matter how many pages are written on a particular subject........Are we running out of space?

You ever hear the old saying, to each his own? Please if you wish participate, share when you wish, be quite when you wish But in this place the same as anywhere else in life.......Opinions are like Aholes, we most all have them:)

• Members

Funny how people are always apalled by human behavior. We all belong to the same race. I kinda feel at home here. I read what I want, ignore what I don't like and sometimes even join in with an opinion. I am my own ultimate censor.

• Members

Slightly OT.

TES, I found your last sentence somewhat disturbing. Do you know someone who doesn't?
:eek:

;) Just thought with people reading what they may into words I better cover my bases, someone would come along and quote about the guy that lost his ass in an accident, to cancer, from a dog bite or something so I decided to make it a tad more conservative in case some smart ass could come up with some one that did not have one! I did wonder if anyone would call me put on that!

• Members

I have nothing against JT, nor is he my best friend. I have found some of his posts to very good and some not so good. Most of what we discuss on this forum is subjective. It is opinion to a large extent and we all think our own opinions are right. Hearing is a sense - a perception. We all perceive differently. I have seen much information from luthiers that I think is sound and much that I think is baloney. I won't say who I think doesn't know what they're talking about so all the luthiers on the forum can be pissed off at me in unison. Some continue to beat a dead horse to death, are absolutely wrong, and place themselves above others on this forum. Their blinders are underwhelming! Some call themselves luthiers, but have absolutely no apprenticeship type training whatsoever. It's just not that simple.

That being said, I enjoy this forum. I have learned much in it and laughed much. I just need to take everything with a grain of salt. I have been attacked in this forum, but I also have attacked. It doesn't change what I believe unless the dissenter convinces me otherwise. I learned a long time ago that if you put yourself in front of a shooting gallery you are bound to be shot at. The more you post, the more others will differ with what you have to say. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. I consider everyone on this forum my friend. It will never mean that I will agree with everything you post. We're here for the common thread of the guitar and the music.

BigAl :blah:

• Members

I must confess that I have never really understood the term "crack whore." Is this a whore who is just really exceptionally good at her profession? Or a whore who smokes crack? Of course I recognize that the two are not mutually exclusive, but I suspect it is one or the other. It is all very confusing.

Archived