A Forum Where...

JasmineTea

• Members

I think the forum is useful for sharing info and having a joke now and then.

But on a forum discussing something as subjective and personal as an acoustic guitar, not to mention the player, the community effect of each opinion should be kept in mind by the person posting.

I think I am having trouble explaining my point because it seems like it should not need explaining...

It's ok to have an opinion, but I think it's wrong to try to control others with it, or ostracize and form little groups and such.

That undermines the whole community aspect.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I must confess that I have never really understood the term "crack whore." Is this a whore who is just really exceptionally good at her profession? Or a whore who smokes crack? Of course I recognize that the two are not mutually exclusive, but I suspect it is one or the other. It is all very confusing.

Atonement can be an uplifting experience. I confess as much as possible but unfortunately the depths of the morality I seek forgiveness from are humanly impossible. So, I tell bar jokes and everyone is happy.

JT is a pretty even-handed fellow. I've spoken with him a few times and can't say he's any different than most here. He just doesn't engage in any kind of debate where inexperienced salesmanship is being cloaked as a knowledge-grounded discussion. That is, until such time as the bull{censored} begins to reach the saturation point. I engage early to try to identify the sheep from the wolves, with regard to opinions, and keep the noobs from getting the wrong impression from the inexperienced experts. That last part is the fire to the fuse and JT gets a bit explosive on that point. He's a pretty experienced player and we have discussed the acoustic guitar at length from build to concepts. Though I'd probably not let it get to me like he does I still get equally put off by some of the comments I try to run interference on.

• Members

I must confess that I have never really understood the term "crack whore." Is this a whore who is just really exceptionally good at her profession? Or a whore who smokes crack? Of course I recognize that the two are not mutually exclusive, but I suspect it is one or the other. It is all very confusing.

It is my understanding that a crack whore is (1) someone who whores themselves out, sometimes in exchange for crack, because (2) they smoke crack. Thus, that person is a whore who smokes crack. Your first definition, I confess I have never heard of. I would think that such a person would be termed a 'courtesan' or some such thing instead of simply a whore.

YMMV.

• Members

I don't know. I've always thought JT was a complete wacko, but an informative wacko with an open mind. I suspect he's (she?) a bonafide "musician" as most musicians I've known are wackos.

I myself have been run over by the herd here on occasion. Takes the fun outta the community thing.

• Members

I have met and conversed with quite a few so called "Crack Whores", and actually they are some nice people who have gone astray somewhere down the line. They are not Bad people, they just made some wrong choices.

For those that don't know it, there is Hope after Dope.

• Members

To me, nothing is more tedious than when the forum becomes the topic of the forum.

There are members here who rub me the wrong way, opinions I disagree with, and egos I find insufferable. Sometimes I take a little break from it when I find myself having actual emotional responses to what is said here. In the grand scheme of things, HCAG is just a a pleasant diversion, and a source of some camaraderie and often some useful information.

Oh --- and after listening to and participating in the latest VOM, I have to say that I am very impressed with the caliber of musicianship around here, and that has really improved my overall opinion of the forum.

• Members

Just so no one misconstrued the remark in my earlier post calling JT "friend".

I consider JT to be one of the friends I have on this forum.

Those of you calling troll are way off base. If stating an opinion strongly, and with conviction, is trolling I'm damned well guilty.

Yeah, JT can be annoying at times and certainly opinionated. So are we all at times and it's my belief that if you don't like what or how a particular person posts you have the ability to not only not read those posts but go into your profile and place that particular poster on your ignore list.

• Members

I don't know. I've always thought JT was a complete wacko, but an informative wacko with an open mind. I suspect he's (she?) a bonafide "musician" as most musicians I've known are wackos.

I myself have been run over by the herd here on occasion. Takes the fun outta the community thing.

Does'nt it kinda make any of you wonder why Jasmine Tea started this turd of a thread, (that you have all so readily replied to), and then has'nt posted again? And why 70>0 has the same unique habit of misplacing apostrophes?

YHBT. Look it up. :facepalm:

• Members

Formites tell other forumites what they can and cannot hear.

Opinions are enforced, and the herd mentality is encouraged by the enforcers, and the herd.

A discussion as to whether handmade guitars are worth the price goes into 10 pages.

There are tone def luthiers who get pushy with anyone who
can
hear subtle differences in saddle material, bridge pins, tunning machines, and of all things, back and side woods.

I used to get private messeges from various people, some I hardly knew, begging me to come back to the forum because it was going to {censored} without me. Now however, I'm called a troll when I encourage others to think and listen for themselves.

These sentiments have inspired a song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GAHFrLAxzM

• Members

Does'nt
it kinda make
any
of you wonder why Jasmine Tea started this turd of a thread, (that you have all so readily replied to), and then
has'nt
posted again? And why 70>0 has the same unique habit of misplacing apostrophes?

YHBT
. Look it up.
:facepalm:

It is'nt that unique.

I happen to think it's a good topic he's posted and find it shows a good cross section of the people here. For the most part I find it disturbing when musicians argue, especially about music and instruments. Makes no sense at all, and takes the fun out of music.

• Members

Does'nt
it kinda make
any
of you wonder why Jasmine Tea started this turd of a thread, (that you have all so readily replied to), and then
has'nt
posted again? And why 70>0 has the same unique habit of misplacing apostrophes?

When I read the line, "I'm called a troll when I encourage others to think and listen for themselves," I immediately thought of 70>0's absurd threads from a couple of months ago. Lo and behold, he rears his self-absorbed head here. You're right, Broke: IHBT.

• Members

Hahaha, I hate it when I have to stop lurking, and sign in, just to say hahaaha. JT is using us for entertainment. I don't know if he's a good guy or not, but he shares info, opinions, and knowledge. And I appreciate it.

There are alot more 'look at me' types here that bother me more. Just saying. I belong to music sites, motorcycle sites, fishing sites, and retired gigalo sites. (JK, I'm not retired). All of them have the same personas, with different names.

If the internet was ALL polite, friendly people, like this forum used to be, there would be more input from more souls. In closing though, this is the favorite time wasting forum I belong to. So thanks everyone. See ya JT.

• Members

All joking and crack whores and paranoia about multiple moniker disorder aside, JT has been a very good friend for some years now and I have had occasion to jam with the dude (if one can call sitting with git in lap, too stunned by the dope chops to take a swing at a chord, "jamming").

Dude is a really good dude.

And really one hell of a musician. Maybe the best I've ever met.

Clearly Dude can sometimes rub people the wrong way. After several years on this forum, it's also clear to me that just about all of us have this ability. JT just has his own way of wrong-way. Several responses in this thread have pointed to the ability to look the other way, change the channel, etc. This is good advice - but good advice that works in more than one direction. We all go a bit bat{censored} now and then - I've been there quite often myself in response to the kind of stuff JT is alluding to in the OP.

Grain o' salt.

• Members

When I read the line, "I'm called a troll when I encourage others to think and listen for themselves," I immediately thought of 70>0's absurd threads from a couple of months ago. Lo and behold, he rears his self-absorbed head here. You're right, Broke: IHBT.

I happen to think it's nice that a few others at-least-sort-of share my pov, and my misspellings. Or, maybe it's too bad for them, having been associated with me.

Oh well, I guess that's more people for assholes like you to ostracize.

...I don't think I've known you to post anything useful, ever. I mean, ever..I mean, there is such a thing as wasted cyberspace. Would probly make more sense to shove that guitar up your ass like a spit and roast your piggy-ass over a fire.

Archived