My first gig - well kinda sorta

kwakatak

• Members

I got an email from a lady who plays sometimes at the same open mics that I've gone to in the past and she basically asked if I'd play a gig with her and maybe 1 or 2 others for a holiday gig in a public library up in the city. The pay won't be much and we'll be playing unplugged but it sounds like fun. I'm mostly flattered that she'd think of me based solely on the few OM's we've been at and my Youtubes. I think pretty highly of her abilities and am kind of envious that she's able to write her own stuff.

From talking with her over the phone, I think she may erroneously think that she and I and a few others got up together to do an impromptu jam but I don't remember doing that. She and I and a few others used to just chit chat in the back room during the OM and I loved the sense of cameraderie but don't recall ever getting up there with a groups since it's been a coupla years. My memory's shot but IIRC I've been strictly solo but I've been active with a band at church so I know how to blend in and not showboat.

Logistically it'd be pretty bare bones. She told me that since the pay's split 3-4 ways it wouldn't amount to much so she'd be leaving her sound system home and just be bringing her D-15. Another guy would be bringing a mandolin and as for the potential 4th person I don't know. My Tak's pretty quiet unplugged so I'd likely bring my OM-03R and provide leads/embellishments and hopefully not step on the mando's parts. I guess I'll get a better idea of what to do and what to expect after we all get together to rehearse a few times.

Anyway I seem to have painted it here though, I'm looking forward to it. I don't think I'll have any problems getting up in front of a crowd or anything and it'd be fun just playing with others again; I've been a shut-in and just doing my own thing for far too long. It'll take a little fitting in, learning others' stuff and documenting all the songs that I know but I'm actually looking forward to that. The gig itself is just the motivation I guess.

To those of you who are regulars here or have met me do you think I'm up for it? To those who don't, am I approaching this with the right frame of mind? I don't want it to be about the money or recognition; I just want to get together with some folks and have fun and hopefully grow as a musician in the process, that's all.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hehe - thanks, stack. Coming from you that's a gust of wind in my sails! :)

I can't help but think of how I'm gonna fit in though. This lady has a powerful voice and really pushes her D-15 hard. With my OM I'm all about restraint since I find its tone to be brash when pushed, but OTOH my Tak would be lost in the mix. No better time to push for a new guitar, eh? ;)

I'm just sayin' - I've been tryiing to justify my GAS for awhile now! :idk:

:p

• Members

LOL - you'd swear I was coming out of the closet or something!

Seriously though, I've been wanting to do the right thing and be here for my family, but it's been a 24/7 thing and I need something to recharge my batteries. Still, I'm afraid that it may become a distraction from family; I've never gotten the sense that they're behind my playing because I do sort of use it as an escape.

• Members

Seriously though, I've been wanting to do the right thing and be here for my family, but it's been a 24/7 thing and I need something to recharge my batteries. Still,
I'm afraid that it may become a distraction from family
; I've never gotten the sense that they're behind my playing because I
do
sort of use it as an escape.

I've learned, finally, that there is nothing at all wrong with a distraction from the family, at least now and then.

• Members

Go for it you have the talent, and the questions over how best to perform, what git etc. would be common to any performance.

You cannot be as good as you could be with your family if YOU are not as good as you could be in yourself.

If your very best friend asked if you could spare them some hours to help them, you'd find the time. Being a best friend to yourself occasionally is not something to feel guilty about. Suppressing too much of yourself ultimately leads to resentment, frustration and depression.

Taking time out to smell the flowers gives you joy and a buzz to share.

Enjoy. It's what life is for.

• Members

Go for it you have the talent, and the questions over how best to perform, what git etc. would be common to any performance.

You cannot be as good as you could be with your family if YOU are not as good as you could be in yourself.

If your very best friend asked if you could spare them some hours to help them, you'd find the time. Being a best friend to yourself occasionally is not something to feel guilty about. Suppressing too much of yourself ultimately leads to resentment, frustration and depression.

Taking time out to smell the flowers gives you joy and a buzz to share.

Enjoy. It's what life is for.

+1000 on these two sentiments.

If the roles were reversed in your family, i.e. you worked and your wife stayed home with the kids, wouldn't you understand, and even encourage, your wife wanting to get out and do something for herself from time to time?

We all have our roles and our responsibilities within our family, but we each deserve the same consideration when it comes to our other interests.

Personally, I love your playing and, like Gil, wish I could be there to hear y'all play.

• Members

No, this isn't a good enough reason to go out and buy that D35.

You need to come home with the bacon, slap it down with some flowers and wine and then cut out a picture of a new ladies Rolex and a card that says...

There's no telling what I could earn with a D35 in my hands.

Love,

Kwak

You see, its these little subtle hints that eventually get you to the show.

• Members

No, this isn't a good enough reason to go out and buy that D35.

You need to come home with the bacon, slap it down with some flowers and wine and then cut out a picture of a new ladies Rolex and a card that says...

There's no telling what I could earn with a D35 in my hands.

Love,

Kwak

You see, its these little subtle hints that eventually get you to the show.

Shrewed. Very shrewed. :)

You better hope your wife doesn't read this or your cover's blown. :p

• Members

Your family wants you to live your life to the fullest and you need to set an example for them that you are a whole person. Yes, a husband and a father but you were Neil before, and now, still, and in the future, with and/or without them. Teach them that there is life after early adulthood. Teach them that you are still growing and learning and blossoming as a person in addition to the role you fulfill for them at home. This should come as welcome news to them, for your children will need to know this in their own adult lives.

You ask, are you ready?

Are you kidding?

Neil, you are very good. (And I listen to the best of 'em on a pretty regular basis.)

• Members

Kwak....2 songs come to mind, True and Let It Be Me.

I often ask my GF to just sit and listen to both of these songs by my side.

Hopefully your fellow musicians will give you some love and share a piece of what you know.

I am happy for you and I wish you the best, which I know will come 'cause you have the proper attitude about it.

Have fun and I hope your earnings will get you closer to your dream guitar.

• Members

Seriously though, I've been wanting to do the right thing and be here for my family, but it's been a 24/7 thing and I need something to recharge my batteries. Still, I'm afraid that it may become a distraction from family; I've never gotten the sense that they're behind my playing because I
do
sort of use it as an escape.

I use my family as a distraction from playing guitar. Am I so wrong?

• Members

Hmmm. Well, I think I'm gonna go through with it. I'll give her a call tomorrow and try to get more specifics on who else she asked and what particular songs she was planning on playing/singing. She writes a lot of her own stuff so I'm guessing I'm gonna have to learn some new stuff.

Archived