My first gig - well kinda sorta

kwakatak

• Members
No, this isn't a good enough reason to go out and buy that D35.

You need to come home with the bacon, slap it down with some flowers and wine and then cut out a picture of a new ladies Rolex and a card that says...

There's no telling what I could earn with a D35 in my hands.

Love,

Kwak

You see, its these little subtle hints that eventually get you to the show.

:facepalm:

My wife wasn't born yesterday, man. She hates flowers too.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:facepalm:

My wife wasn't born yesterday, man. She hates flowers too.

This works like magic ...

I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

• Members

Go for it, Neil. :thu: I'm really tickled that you're going to do this and wish I could be there.

You're more than ready, as I've been telling you all along.

Take your Tak and the OM, play a bit with each and determine which git fits the mix better.

Most of all, HAVE FUN !!!!!!

• Members

Hmmm. Well, I think I'm gonna go through with it. I'll give her a call tomorrow and try to get more specifics on who else she asked and what particular songs she was planning on playing/singing. She writes a lot of her own stuff so I'm guessing I'm gonna have to learn some new stuff.

Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! It sounds like it'll be great fun and your skill level is top notch.

RT1

• Members

OK, so I emailed her this morning and we're on for a trio, not a quartet. IIRC the 3rd guy is gonna be a mando player and looking at her youtubes from the open mic she's pretty much a folk singer, so we're going to have a sort of Americana vibe. She told of a couple of songs from her repertoire which I assume were covers but they didn't ring a bell. She asked me to bring stuff that would make use of a female background singer/duet but I'm gonna have to put some thought into that.

Meanwhile, this has kicked my GAS into a new frenzy. I'm nearly convinced that I'm gonna need a new guitar for this based upon how loudly I've seen her sing and play in the past. She hits her D-15 pretty hard and her voice rings loudly above it so I'm pretty sure my Tak is gonna be buried and my OM-03R is gonna sound shrill or break up if I have to drive the strings hard enough to be heard. The HD-35 is well out of reach and my second choice of a Larriv

• Members

All acoustic, with a mando player and a singer/songwriter playing her Martin D-15 with and without a pick. Her voice is very strong and bright and IMO my Larrivee might interfere and my Takamine might get buried. I'll also be doing some lead vocals and tend to strum, which the Larrivee does not do so well IMO (I wanted it solely for fingerpicking) and again the Tak would get buried.

• Members

Good luck Kwak

In a group and getting paid - with a good female singer. :thu:

At some of the local mikes I go to there is this group called loose change. They have an exceptionally talented female singer and a song writer who plays the fiddly bits on the guitar and another guitarist who sings and provides rthym. They play both plugged in and un plugged. You end up with a group like them (which yours sounds like in make up) and your made.

As an excuse for buying your Martin? Well try this one if ... if you were in England they would cost twice as much so you'd better get one in case things 'change'

Enjoy

Phil

• Members

Well, despite a seeming setback regarding auto repairs I'm still looking forward to this and have been exchanging emails back and forth. She gave me a list of songs she does (along with youtube links of her originals that she did at the open mic) and I've been thinking of songs that I can do or would like to. I've never actually written down a list of all the songs I know though. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Heart of the Matter

• Members

It sounds like you have your mind made up to buy a new axe. My advice is this--don't buy something just for this gig.

Take your time and find out what you will enjoy the most and get the most use out of in the long run. If you rush to buy something just for this one gig you may regret your purchase in the future.

• Members

He he - so I've been told! ;)

I'm probably not gonna buy a new guitar but try and get through this gig with my rosewood/sitka OM-03R which I have strung with mediums. I don't know how it will hold up against an all-mahogany D-15 but we'll see.

• Members
Well, despite a seeming setback regarding auto repairs I'm still looking forward to this and have been exchanging emails back and forth. She gave me a list of songs she does (along with youtube links of her originals that she did at the open mic) and I've been thinking of songs that I can do or would like to. I've never actually written down a list of all the songs I know though. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Heart of the Matter

• Members

Are you ready?

You're lucky we are 400+ miles apart or I would slap the {censored} out of you. :lol:

Seriously, you are one of the best "amateur" guitar players I ever played with. You need to get over doubting yourself and start doing something with your talent. You are wasting a gift by not sharing it. The bad part? You aren't getting any younger.....

• Members
Are you ready?

You're lucky we are 400+ miles apart or I would slap the {censored} out of you.
:lol:

Seriously, you are one of the best "amateur" guitar players I ever played with. You need to get over doubting yourself and start doing something with your talent. You are wasting a gift by not sharing it. The bad part? You aren't getting any younger.....

"Slap the {censored}" out of me?!? Have you been talking to my mother? :lol:

• Members
He he - so I've been told!
;)

I'm probably not gonna buy a new guitar but try and get through this gig with my rosewood/sitka OM-03R which I have strung with mediums. I don't know how it will hold up against an all-mahogany D-15 but we'll see.

Break out that Strat and a small amp. That will cut through nicely ;).
Seriously though, I'm sure the Larrivee will work out fine in the mix. Position yourself away from the Martin. I'd tape your practice sessions (at least 1 of them) with the recording device out in the room a ways and see how it sounds for reference.

• Members

Kwak I remember years ago on another forum you had the same concerns when you had been asked to audition for your worship group band. Alot of us told you then to just go for it. You did and you had a blast if I remember right. Same thing man. Except your way mo bettah.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

UPDATE: we finally got together for our first practice and it's a little different than I imagined, but still doable IMO. Another guy (from her songwriting circle I imagine) and I met at her house and practiced for about an hour. It seemed to go well but I'm a little confused about what she expects of me.

We started off with some of her selections which are sort of country/folk/bluegrass. Some were her own compositions, others were either covers or traditional songs that she wanted to put her own slant on. To be honest I wasn't really familiar with much of it but was happy (and I thought I was doing well on) adding rhythm support and some alternate rhythms. I didn't jump in on vocals because I simply didn't know the songs or the melodies - but I hope to learn them before the gig, which is coming up quickly.

Her friend's style seems to match hers more closely than mine and he'd played with her previously. Both used their capos a LOT and were able to do harmonic singing, which seemed hard for me to break into. I think I did OK by matching their rhythms and after about an hour felt as if I could find a spot somewhere vocally.

Now as for my stuff, I don't know if it would fit in unless I somehow am able to put words to some of my instrumental stuff. She asked me to supply a list of songs I knew and basically picked the first 4, which is OK I suppose. Well, after practicing it seemed like she only liked 2 of them and even then had reservations about doing "covers" so I'm inclined to nix those final 2 as well.

By the end of the night we went through her songbook and she had me try a couple of "traditional" songs that I'm going to try around my kinds. I told her that I liked to play "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands"

BTW, for you gearheads here's how it played out: She had her D-15 but mostly focused on vocals and at times played a tambourine. Her friend on what looked like a Taylor 210CE or 310CE (sapale back & sides, black body binding, preamp on the upper bout and a cutaway) and he strummed/fingerpicked it while singing. I brought my Larriv

• Members

Yeah. I told her pretty much that I'd never even heard of some of these songs. I'll give it my best shot, but will chalk it up as experience.

BTW - the gig is only 1.5 hours in a library setting which she did last year, so she expects people to be coming and going and as such we'll be repeating songs. I think we have maybe only 12-15 picked out. :idk:

Archived