Sort of OT. Question about vocalists at church...

austikins

• Members

Here's my question:

How do you feel about the vocalists in a praise band holding their mics as opposed to singing with it on a stand?

I ask because I am applying for a job leading worship at a church, so we have visited a few times to see if it would be a good fit for us, and the singers all hold their mics. After talking about it a little my wife and I both feel like it kind of gives the impression of a performance rather than worship. It's definitely not something that would stop us from going there, or me from applying for the job, but I'm just curious to hear what other people think about it.

• Members

It really just depends on what is comfortable for the vocalist/choir...makes no difference, in the long run, though.

...After talking about it a little my wife and I both feel like it kind of gives the impression of a performance rather than worship....

Speaking from one non-Christian's point of view, we of The Old Faith have no problem w/ the two concepts being the same...giving our performance as a form of worship to the gods/goddesses.

• Members

I don't think it matters...

First of, worship is a state of the heart not outward appearance. I understand that giving the right impression is still necessary, especially for a church worship band. As long as the heart of worship is there, and as long as people are given freedom to express it, "Worship" will be visible through various expressions, eg. musical dynamics, facial expressions, hand gestures, standing position, etc. In the grand scheme of things, holding mic vs. using a stand doesn't matter.

• Members

I think it depends on the person. My daughter does better holding a mic, because it gives her something to do with her hands so she doesn't get as nervous, but she's 13, too, which probably makes a difference there. I would say let them do whatever they are comfortable doing. Being a guitar player myself, I don't get a choice, mine is pretty much always on a stand.

• Members

That seems like an absurd distinction. To me, it seems about like playing guitar while sitting vs. playing guitar while standing--is one less worshipful than the other?

On a side note, when I do karaoke, I always prefer to use a stand, because I'm more able to "perform" with it--do my stand tilts, leaning on it, pulling the mike off, etc.

• Members

I guess it's not that big of a deal, that was just our first impression regarding the music. Them holding the mics made it seem like it was more about being in front of people and having them see/hear you sing than about worshiping. Of course we can't know their hearts, but you know the old saying, "Perception is reality," makes me wonder what other people are interpreting it as.

Like I said, it won't prevent me from wanting the job, I mean it's not a theological issue by any means, we just got to talking about it on the car ride home.

That seems like an absurd distinction. To me, it seems about like playing guitar while sitting vs. playing guitar while standing--is one less worshipful than the other?

On a side note, when I do karaoke, I always prefer to use a stand, because I'm more able to "perform" with it--do my stand tilts, leaning on it, pulling the mike off, etc.

I guess it's not really about what is more "worshipful", but about how others percive it. If someone was sitting down playing guitar my perception would be that it is less professional than standing. Sitting on a stool would make it more intimate to me, but a chair would look a little amateur.

The thing about using a stand to perform more is interesting, though. I doubt people in church would do all of that, but I'll remember it if I do get the job.

• Members

I guess it's not really about what is more "worshipful", but about how others percive it. If someone was sitting down playing guitar my perception would be that it is less professional than standing. Sitting on a stool would make it more intimate to me, but a chair would look a little amateur.

The thing about using a stand to perform more is interesting, though. I doubt people in church would do all of that, but I'll remember it if I do get the job.

I don't imagine they'll be doing any stand humping or anything, I just brought it up to emphasize how weird a distinction it is to me. The sitting/standing thing was supposed to be analogous, but it sounds like you have preconceptions there, too. If I saw a guy sitting on a [whatever], I'd assume he preferred playing while sitting on [whatever] :idk:. Nothing pore.

• Members

Your are giving a performance. Use the mic which ever way that allows you to sing your best.

You are performing in front of the folks in the church. Make it good and give them an additional reason to look forward to church next week.

The goal is to fill the pews. ;)

• Members

No. And huh?

it is a performance whether you choose to admit it or not. there are rehearsals and there is a stage and costumes and lights and microphones and music and an audience.

They even pass the hat.

And you are applying for a job, so you have a role to play in this performance. :poke:

(If you don't know what "Whooping" is, click on the link.)

• Members

. . . worship is a state of the heart not outward appearance.

:thu:

That's the key. If the singers are really worshiping, then how they hold their microphones doesn't matter to God. FWIW, all of the singers in my church worship band (of which I'm a member) hold their mics when they're singing. I sing backup vocals sometimes and I usually use a stand, but that's more or less because I haven't quite figured out how to play a guitar and hold a mic at the same time ;).

Seriously though, I don't think it matters. In fact, if they're more comfortable holding their mics, they might be uncomfortable---and perhaps evenless worshipful---if they were forced to put them in a stand.

• Members

I had this friend once who sang in church. Not only did he sit on a chair, but he also held the microphone rather than leaving it on a stand. Then he got run over by an ice cream truck and he was sent to hell, where I hear they've been feeding him nothing but chicken. The weird thing is that he's Jewish, and we don't really even believe in hell, and he actually kind of likes chicken. He hates ice cream, though. What I've been thinking, though, is that since it is hell, maybe the cooks are only telling him it's chicken when in reality it's something else altogether, like soy chicken. I haven't emailed him about this theory, though, because why make him worry?

• Members

Personally, I'd prefer to see a lot fewer mics in church. Most "praise bands" are too stinkin' loud to begin with, and could stand to be distance mic'd rather than having everyone competing for volume with individual mics. High volume is fine in the proper context (like a heavy version of "A Mighty Fortress" or equivalent), but it drives me nuts to be screamed at during communion. I'm a metalhead, and if I'm thinking about plugging my ears, it's just too loud - and this has become common practice in an awful lot of churches.

I say this as someone who has been performing both in church as a vocalist and in clubs as a metal guitarist for over 20 years....

• Members

Most "praise bands" are too stinkin' loud to begin with, and could stand to be distance mic'd rather than having everyone competing for volume with individual mics. High volume is fine in the proper context (like a heavy version of "A Mighty Fortress" or equivalent), but it drives me nuts to be screamed at during communion. I'm a metalhead, and if I'm thinking about plugging my ears, it's just too loud - and this has become common practice in an awful lot of churches.

In a large church setting, this problem can be solved by simply turning down the PA system. However, in a small church setting, a common problem is where all musicians / vocalists are competing with the drums, which cause everyone to jackup their volumes. In general, if the congregation cannot hear their own voice while singing, then the music is too loud.

My lordy me!! I do love that movie and I love that scene!! Can I get an Amen???!!!

David sang and danced before the Lord. That feeling of worshipping with every cell inside of you popping is amazing. But like the man said. If you're gonna whoop, then whoop with integrity and remember you are doing it primarily for worship of the Lord. It's great when you do it well enough that people are charged up to join you in that worship!!!!

As for your question. Try it out and see what feeling you get there. Unfortunately, there are too many worship teams that act like they are the main event. It's not hard to separate them from honest worshippers.

• Members

What a strange thread.
:confused::idk:

The thread addresses the question of religious service and who it is really for.

While some may feel compelled to choose between piety and performance, others are content to see it as both.

Much is left unsaid in this thread because we don't really talk about religion, per se in this forum. We talk all around it.

(And some of us are at times amused by this, too.)

Archived