Taylor Swift CAN'T SING!

TN.Frank

• Members

Debating Taylor Swift in the context of her success and how marketing plays a role in that equation is not a thread derailment as some folks claimed. Especially when the OP opens up with "Taylor Swift CAN'T SING"....

She is experiencing huge pop success. There are many here that believe all pop is created equally: bubble gum pop.

There have been some great musicians and bands in the Top 40 over the years. When you hit the Top 40 your CD gets displayed in the same rack as the Jonas Brother, 3Oh3 and Miley Cyrus.

Does that make the music pop? Coldplay, the Killers and U2 have enjoyed great pop success over the past few years. The argument could be made they are pop bands (even though they are alternative bands).

Is Taylor Swift a pop star? Technically, she is a country artist. Does she have talent? I think so, but I'm not a fan of her music.

My point was lost completely on many posters here because I used "Led Zeppelin" as my example. The love of the band brought out emotional responses.

Music is music, labels are for marketing stiffs. Rock, Metal, R&B, Country and Alternative bands routinely end up in the pop aisle in the music store. One could argue, there is no one kind of pop music.

Go ahead and lump me with the assholes that made personal attacks on me in this thread if it makes you feel better.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

..... There are many here that believe all pop is created equally: bubble gum pop........

As has been said, 'pop' stands for 'popular', but what does popular mean as it pertains to music? Music that sells! In the pre-recording era, popularity was based on sales of sheet music. Today popularity is based on sales of CD's, albums, mp3's, and downloads. Popular or pop is not a genre or category, it is what it is because a lot of people like it. Being popular, at WHATEVER degree, is what unites Taylor Swift, Led Zeppelin, and many many others regardless of their genre.

• Members

As has been said, 'pop' stands for 'popular', but what does popular mean as it pertains to music? Music that sells! In the pre-recording era, popularity was based on sales of sheet music. Today popularity is based on sales of CD's, albums, mp3's, and downloads. Popular or pop is not a genre or category, it is what it is because a lot of people like it. Being popular, at WHATEVER degree, is what unites Taylor Swift, Led Zeppelin, and many many others regardless of their genre.

Exactly.....:thu:

• Members

Anyone else feel that way? She's a sweet girl but she can't carry a tune in a bucket. She's often flat and sounds like she's out of breath. Don't have a clue why she won 3 awards at the CMA's tonight. One being Entertainer of the Year. Kenny, Keith or Brad were much more deserving of that award. Guess it's not who ya' know it's, well, you see where I'm coming from here. LOL.
:confused:

I've never heard her sing live, so I couldn't really say.

But I will say that the jokers on her production staff apparently don't know how to retune her without leaving obvious and ugly wrench marks all over the retuned vocals.

And that is almost more pathetic on some level.

• Members

Go ahead and lump me with the assholes that made personal attacks on me in this thread if it makes you feel better.

Only one person made a personal attack on you, and I was the only person who called him out for being wrong for doing that. Yes, I mocked your city (Detroit) but I apologized for that in another thread. Sorry, but slamming someone's hometown is NOT a personal attack. You, yourself branded yourself as a "liar" and such, I never said or implied either. On the contrary, I said you have an opinion which I believe was wrong concerning Lad Zeppelin being Pop music, that's it.

Maybe it's just in this thread, but you seem to be a self-deprecating person who reads "into" what people have posted instead of what's actually there in black and white. It also seems you don't know how to bury the hatchet and move on as you keep harping on false innuendo and supposition. You seem to be well-liked around here and I'm sure you make helpful, insightful contributions to this forum. But in this thread you're dragging out a pile of nonsense that no longer needs to be discussed.

Getting back to Taylor, I think she'll be done and gone in less than 3 years when the younger crowd finds a new "flavor of the month" to go ga-ga over.

• Members

Darius Rucker, Jewel, Kid Rock, Michelle Branch to name a few all now performing Country.

Country may be coming the new Pop ...

They made calculated decisions to cross over into country.

Country is more mainstream now. It is very common for country songs to garner pop success.

Further proving, pop is made up of multiple genres.

• Members

I think the title of the post is over-doing it a bit.

"Taylor Swift can't sing very well" would have been more appropriate.

Only one person made a personal attack on you, and I was the
only
person who called him out for being wrong for doing that. Yes, I mocked your city (Detroit) but I apologized for that in another thread. Sorry, but slamming someone's hometown is NOT a personal attack. You, yourself branded yourself as a "liar" and such, I never said or implied either. On the contrary, I said you have an opinion which I believe was wrong concerning Lad Zeppelin being Pop music, that's it.

Maybe it's just in this thread, but you seem to be a self-deprecating person who reads "into" what people have posted instead of what's actually there in black and white. It also seems you don't know how to bury the hatchet and move on as you keep harping on false innuendo and supposition. You seem to be well-liked around here and I'm sure you make helpful, insightful contributions to this forum. But in this thread you're dragging out a pile of nonsense that no longer needs to be discussed.

Getting back to Taylor, I think she'll be done and gone in less than 3 years when the younger crowd finds a new "flavor of the month" to go ga-ga over.

You don't know anything about me, you pompous asshole.

{censored} off.

• Members

Darius Rucker, Jewel, Kid Rock, Michelle Branch to name a few all now performing Country.

Country may be coming the new Pop ...

Gentlemen! (trying to find some common ground here now.)

So what is "the take-away"? (as millions of junior MBAs are saying these days)

I think that we can all agree that Taylor Swift can sing, but she can't sing very well.

But she sings good enough for Country Music.

• Members

Gentlemen! (trying to find some common ground here now.)

So what is "
the take-away
"? (as millions of junior MBAs are saying these days)

I think that we can all agree that Taylor Swift can sing, but she can't sing very well.

But she sings
good enough for Country Music.

Zing! I really don't mind country music at all. In fact, some of it is actually sincere. It's the unsome I can't tell from a toothache.

• Members

Maybe it's just in this thread, but you seem to be a self-deprecating person who reads "into" what people have posted instead of what's actually there in black and white.
It also seems you don't know how to bury the hatchet and move on as you keep harping on false innuendo and supposition.
You seem to be well-liked around here and I'm sure you make helpful, insightful contributions to this forum.
But in this thread you're dragging out a pile of nonsense that no longer needs to be discussed.

It seems like you too are having trouble "burying the hatchet." If none of this is a big deal, then why are you going to such trouble to make it into one? And since this thread is such a "pile of nonsense that no longer needs to be discussed," perhaps you should stop discussing it.

I'm not trying to pick sides here, but I don't think you're as innocent as you're making yourself out to be. Perhaps Hudman said some things he shouldn't have, but it seems like you have too. Whether or not you (or Hudman, or anyone else) meant their comments to be offensive is irrelevant, because they've been interpreted that way. When all you've got to go on is a few words on a computer screen, it's easy to misunderstand someone's meaning. I think a few apologies all around are in order.

• Members

In the pop world, I think you're right. She might have longer staying power in the country world. Carrie Underwood is still going full steam ahead. Then again, so is Kelly Clarkson in the pop world. Who knows?

Archived