Taylor Swift CAN'T SING!

TN.Frank

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Point well-made. It appears she has artistic credibility. I don't mind her music at all. I just wonder if she was the same person, with the same voice, but looked "different", if she would be such a sensation---or even publicly known. Country music has become incredibly image oriented and to some degree, at the expense of the music (at least in my estimation). This is particularly evident with female solo artists.

Maybe my favorite female voice of all time, but I suspect Patsy Cline herself would have a tough time making it today.

• Members

I'm sure my little thread here is making her cry all the way to the bank. LOL

It's nothing new here.

Harmony Central is famous for hacking on pop stars.

I will never understand it.

Is it envy? Maybe.....

Heck, I am struggling to get the courage to sing on a YouTube video. I can appreciate the courage and talent it takes to follow your dreams. I never had that kind of confidence......

• Members

It's nothing new here.

Harmony Central is famous for hacking on pop stars.

I will never understand it.

Is it envy? Maybe.....

Heck, I am struggling to get the courage to sing on a YouTube video. I can appreciate the courage and talent it takes to follow your dreams. I never had that kind of confidence......

You should try it sometime, it's not that bad, it's just the interwebz

• Members

Maybe my favorite female voice of all time, but I suspect Patsy Cline herself would have a tough time making it today.

Excellent point. Country music is now mainstream, and there's a huge visual component with the internet and television allowing people 24/7 access to live footage and music videos. In Cline's era, only the people who saw her live in concert would have ever seen her at all.

• Members

Point well-made. It appears she has artistic credibility. I don't mind her music at all. I just wonder if she was the same person, with the same voice, but looked "different", if she would be such a sensation---or even publicly known. Country music has become incredibly image oriented and to some degree, at the expense of the music (at least in my estimation). This is particularly evident with female solo artists.

I copied that off Wikipedia....

I'm not a Taylor Swift fan, but I'm impressed that she got a songwriting deal at age 14 (after playing guitar for 2 years). One of Miley Cyrus's latest top 40 hits was written by Swift.

I hate it when guitar players dog pop stars that actually play instruments and write their own material. They want to lump all pop stars with Spears and Madonna.....it makes ZERO sense.

• Members

Wow. I had no idea she was from rural PA. I can't be hatin' on a homegirl yo.

My point still stands though: there are a lot of girls from her generation who are so talented it's scary. Seriously, check out those youtubes I posted. Any one of those girls could hit it big. One nearly did in a national contest. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

• Members

Wow. I had no idea she was from rural PA. I can't be hatin' on a homegirl yo.

My point still stands though: there are a lot of girls from her generation who are so talented it's scary. Seriously, check out those youtubes I posted. Any one of those girls could hit it big. One nearly did in a national contest. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

Ya, I did check em out. They sounded good, even on Youtube camcordered videos, which aint always easy. There is such immense talent even in amateur performers nowadays. I guess that's why people get so critical of some of those who have made it big. Is it jealousy? Maybe, but it could be a lot of things. Seems like some people, no matter how talented will never get past amateur. Way it goes I guess.

• Members

What is it with guitarists and the bigtime? Seems that one instrument divines more water under the bridge than any other. Or, should I visit a trombone forum to learn the truth?

I don't know, but the guitar playing folks here hate any young person that has commercial success.

I don't know how many times I read John Mayer sucks.......

• Members

I will never understand why guitarists feel the need to slam people that have pop success.

Face it, Taylor Swift may not be great, but she has accomplished more with music than most of us ever will.

A pretty face, youth and a nice figure sure helps.

It's something that none of us have, that's for sure.

Do you think Brittany Spears would have been a Pop star if she looked like your average chubby, pimple-faced teenager?

Sorry, but it ain't gonna happen.

• Members

A pretty face, youth and a nice figure sure helps.

It's something that none of
us
have, that's for sure.

Do you think Brittany Spears would have been a Pop star if she looked like your average chubby, pimple-faced teenager?

Sorry, but it ain't gonna happen.

Sure, looks play a role in EVERY successful pop / country artist's success. There are few ugly pop stars (male or female).

However, lumping Spears with Swift based on looks alone is not fair.

Comparing Swift's pop success to Spear's pop success is like comparing Led Zeppelin's pop success to Shaun Cassidy's pop

success.

And yes, I said Led Zeppelin and pop in the same sentence. They may be classic rock Gods, but they were pop stars in the '70's.....

• Members

Nashville is every bit as image-drive as Hollywood, and has been for a long time. The fact that I've never had a hit record doesn't prevent me from opining that Taylor Swift's success is based as much (or more) on her image than her music.

That's the popular music biz. I'm not bitter about it, it's been that way my whole life and I accept it. But I don't see any problem pointing out that there's a lot of people out there with a lot more talent than the stuff the industry spoon feeds us because it hits the right demographic.

• Members

DAMN you guys are tough...
a young girl gets up in front of the cream of the country music crop and -now this is the surprise - she chokes up a little. give the kid a freakin break. no wonder all these child stars end up drunk drugged and broke. they always have to be perfect in every way. one bad day and they are taken out back and shot after they dig their shallow grave. ohhh the humanity

Archived