Taylor Swift CAN'T SING!

TN.Frank

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And yes, I said Led Zeppelin and pop in the same sentence. They may be classic rock Gods, but they were pop stars in the '70's.....

You couldn't be more wrong.

Led Zeppelin was the band that pioneered "album rock" as opposed to the Pop stars of that era who relied on Top 40 singles (45RPM - remember those?).

On December 6, 1969, Led Zeppelin entered the Top 40 with

• Members

She IS hot: if you have pedophilic leanings.

She looks like a young woman of legal age to me. yup, i'm a healthy heterosexual male.

If I want to be dazzled with vocal gymnastics, I'd listen to John Legend. Guitar playing prowess; Martin Taylor.

Taylor Swift does neither for me. But godammit, does she entertain me.

• Members

I don't like pop...so I feel comfortable commenting on levels of talent.

Real Singers...like Bonnie Raitt, Eva Cassidy, Ella Fitzgerald, Pat Banatar, Sheryl Crow, Janis Joplin to name a few over a range of different genre, all have something in common....talent.

To quote a famous movie...."Looks and talent don't always go together, Katerina".

In my opinion, the Music Industry is about "Looks", not talent. Packaging is more important than the output. Who can be the most liked and sell. Maybe it's always been that way, certainly the Beatles were "packaged" for success. But at least they had the talent...can't say that about most "pop" female/male stars. Even Paul McCartney has over the years, dangerously toyed with "pop" music. It kinda makes me shutter.

• Members

You couldn't be more wrong.

Led Zeppelin was the band that pioneered "album rock" as opposed to the Pop stars of that era who relied on Top 40 singles (45RPM - remember those?).

On December 6, 1969, Led Zeppelin entered the Top 40 with

• Members

I don't like pop...so I feel comfortable commenting on levels of talent.

Real Singers...like Bonnie Raitt, Eva Cassidy, Ella Fitzgerald, Pat Banatar, Sheryl Crow, Janis Joplin to name a few over a range of different genre, all have something in common....talent.

To quote a famous movie...."Looks and talent don't always go together, Katerina".

In my opinion, the Music Industry is about "Looks", not talent. Packaging is more important than the output. Who can be the most liked and sell. Maybe it's always been that way, certainly the Beatles were "packaged" for success. But at least they had the talent...can't say that about most "pop" female/male stars. Even Paul McCartney has over the years, dangerously toyed with "pop" music. It kinda makes me shutter.

Interesting......Bonnie Raitt, Pat Benatar and Sheryl Crow had huge pop singles.

I think you are throwing a lot of great artists out the window by throwing around marketing labels.

Pop is a marketing label for popular music. There have been tons of great artists with Top 40 (pop) hits over the years. Assuming anyone with pop success is not a talented musician or is a music label creation is not fair.

• Members

It's been fun discussing this topic with you guys.

The anti-pop bias will never make sense to me.

I love music. I don't need a marketing company to tell what is good or what is bad.

I don't believe in slamming musicians (people that actully play instruments and write songs) because I don't like the section of the record store the music label places the musician's CD's.

I'm out of this one.

:thu:

• Members

Sarah Boyle is a perfect example. She doesn't look like she can sing a note BUT she has pipes as good as anyone I've ever heard. If it were Sarah Boyle vs Taylor Swift who do you think would win and why. Like many here have said, it's NOT about tallent, it's about popularity and there's a lot of people that are popular that have Zero tallent, like that Hotel Chick, Paris Hilton.

I just joined the Taylor Swift Fan Club!!

Can't wait till I get my T-shirt!! :thu:

Seriously, I dig music from pop to classical and beyond... :eek:

If you got a decent hook, I'm listening. You got to be pretty good to get on the radio period.

That being said... I am a princess and this is a fairytale!!!!!

• Members
Fact: Pop music is short for popular music. It isn't a "type" of music. Rock, metal, R&B, alternative, soft rock, ballads, country, rap, etc, etc, etc, etc make up the Top 40. "Pop" is a marketing label for the top selling music - period. It doesn't make it bad.

Fact: Stairway to Heavan was the most over played song of the 1970's and 1980's. It continues to be played too much today. By pure definition it is the ultimate pop song.

Fact: If Led Zeppelin arrived in 2009 rather than 1969 they would be competing with Taylor Swift in the Top 40.

Bend it anyway you want, Led Zeppelin can easily be defined as pop.

Your defense of Led Zeppelin proved my point.
;)

You guys are both right. Music of Led Zeppelin wasn't 'pop' when it was newly recorded & released. It was "underground", FM music.
"Pop" music in those days was played on the AM stations, and prior to Led Zeppelin and bands of that ilk and era, the FM dial had been reserved primarily for classical music stations.
Only afterward, as perhaps one of the most oft-played "classic rock" bands did Led Zeppelin become pop, as in popular.
So statements such as, "You couldn't be more wrong" are um... not entirely accurate, shall we say.

• Members

Led Zeppelin ripped off teh real bloozmen, just like SRV and Eric Clapton did. I find it kind of ironic that John Mayer is emulating these frauds.

Meanwhile, more power to Taylor Swift. We need more vapid "la la la" songs in this current time of economic turmoil.

BTW, that there's a joke, son!

foghorn.jpg

• Members

I guess everyone kinda defines "pop" a little different. The music I like really doesn't appeal much to most teenagers...which is ok. I guess they are the ones buying most of the music these days. I just look at it as packaging and selling to an easy mark. I was a teenager once, but other than the Beatles, I liked my Blues, Sinatra, Bennett, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Chuck B, Fats Domino, etc. Never found the bubble gum stuff very appealing...which is what I think of todays music by singers like Swift.

Admittedly, I haven't listened to much of it...cause I don't care to, so I am kinda just .....throwing out the baby with the bath water.

• Members
Fact: Pop music is short for popular music. It isn't a "type" of music. Rock, metal, R&B, alternative, soft rock, ballads, country, rap, etc, etc, etc, etc make up the Top 40. "Pop" is a marketing label for the top selling music - period. It doesn't make it bad.

Fact: Stairway to Heavan was the most over played song of the 1970's and 1980's. It continues to be played too much today. By pure definition it is the ultimate pop song.

Fact: If Led Zeppelin arrived in 2009 rather than 1969 they would be competing with Taylor Swift in the Top 40.

Bend it anyway you want, Led Zeppelin can easily be defined as pop.

Your defense of Led Zeppelin proved my point.
;)

Again, you are wrong, wrong, wrong.

I know that the word Pop is short for popular, but that refers to music that has broad appeal to a wide spectrum of age ranges. "Pop music" refers to songs that have mass appeal to both the old and young. The Macarena, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Billie Jean, FunkyTown, Love Shack.... these are "Pop" songs that have mass appeal.

In their day, Led Zeppelin appealed mainly to the young crowd, mostly those 25 and under at the time. Sure, they have become Classic Rock mainstays who have since been "popularized" on Rock and Classic Rock stations. But don't confuse their present status with their (at the time) ground-breaking status as the innovators of album-oriented Rock which fused Blues and Jazz with hard-driving, up tempo beats and soaring vocals.

You're referring to what they are now, not the pioneers they once were. I know this because I've followed Zeppelin from the very start.

I know Led Zeppelin... and you, sir, are no Led Zeppelin! :D:D:D

• Members
You guys are both right. Music of Led Zeppelin wasn't 'pop' when it was newly recorded & released. It was "underground", FM music.

"Pop" music in those days was played on the AM stations, and prior to Led Zeppelin and bands of that ilk and era, the FM dial had been reserved primarily for classical music stations.

Only afterward, as perhaps one of the most oft-played "classic rock" bands did Led Zeppelin become pop, as in popular.

So statements such as, "You couldn't be more wrong" are um... not entirely accurate, shall we say.

I wish I read this before I responded, because it backs up *exactly* what I've been saying.

Zeppelin wasn't "Pop" music when they were churning out albums and touring during the 70's.

Good post! :thu:

• Members

I wish I read this before I responded, because it backs up *exactly* what I've been saying.

Zeppelin wasn't "Pop" music when they were churning out albums and touring during the 70's.

Good post!
:thu:

OK, I said I was done, but I will chime in one more time.

If Zeppelin came out in 2009 they would be in the Top 40 Countdown (just like they were in 1969).

They would be classified as pop and be next to Swift, Coldplay and the Jonas Brothers at Wal-Mart.

I thought I made it clear what I was saying.

Of course the music industry was different in the 1970's but the goal was to sell records. Now the goal is to sell CD's - the media distribution and marketing is more refined.

I stand by my statement.

Seems like some of you guys gave up on current music in the 1970's....;)

I know Led Zeppelin too. They are one of my favorite bands and one of the biggest bands of the 1970's.

Name one big band of the 2000's?

• Members

Listen, no one is begrudging the kid a career, or even financial success.

The torsion to my testicles is that she won all those fab categories of awards at the CMA in a room full of singers and artists who blow her collegen enhanced lips off.

And that biogrophy posted by Hudman reads between the lines of some wannabe stage parent behind the scenes pushing their little darling to be Little Miss Country Sunshine.

• Members

Actually, Zeppelin wouldn't be in the top 40 countdown that much. They weren't when they were still a group. They were album oriented and resisted releasing singles. Their record company did release some singles in the US, against their wishes mind you, and I believe that only 6 songs made it into the top 40 with "Whole Lotta Love" making it to #4. "Stairway" never charted I don't believe, despite being overplayed on FM.

This is coming from "The Billboard book of top 40 hits" By Joel Whitburn btw.

Archived