Taylor Swift CAN'T SING!

TN.Frank

• Members

Pop Music: Music of general appeal to teenagers; a bland watered-down version of rock'n'roll with more rhythm and harmony and an emphasis on romantic love.

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Or, I would just say bubblegum music. Think Archies, Michael Jackson and other like pablum. I don't care to be sedated by music. I prefer to be given a rawness I can or have to deal with like it or not. Dylan slayed me with his lyrical mastery and invited me to cringe to hear him. A label just wouldn't hang on him. Too many rough edges.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So... how many Rock n' Rollers are actually living in Detroit these days?

I mean, without having to wear a bulletproof vest when they leave their house, that is.
:D

My guess is that you live in a suburb of Detroit like the rest of the caucasians who fled the city limits.

The term "Rock n' Roll" was invented by Cleveland disc jockey Allen Freed in the early 50's. The music itself was born out the South and many consider Memphis as the actual birthplace of Rock n' Roll. Motown made a big contribution years later. But I'm sorry... Rock n' Roll wasn't "invented" there and it's certainly not the home of Rock music.

I don't know what difference it makes to you....but I live 10 miles south of Detroit city limits and about 15 miles from downtown.

I lived in Detroit until I was 10 years old. I still have a lot of relatives living in the city (and yes they are Caucasian - all of them didn't move to the suburbs). Your stereotyping is ignorant.

I said Detroit is the "home of rock and roll". I didn't say Detroit invented the term "rock and roll".

Why? Detroit was known for their great rock and roll crowds at concerts.

Rock and Metal are still big in Detroit. There are tons of local bands playing every night.

Thanks again for the history lesson. I don't know how I made it 40 years without you.

• Members

Pop Music: Music of general appeal to teenagers; a bland watered-down version of rock'n'roll with more rhythm and harmony and an emphasis on romantic love.

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Or, I would just say bubblegum music. Think Archies, Michael Jackson and other like pablum. I don't care to be sedated by music. I prefer to be given a rawness I can or have to deal with like it or not. Dylan slayed me with his lyrical mastery and invited me to cringe to hear him. A label just wouldn't hang on him. Too many rough edges.

See above - I'm {censored}ing stupid.

It's a miracle I can operate a PC.

• Members

Didn't say it wasn't over played. It's actually one of the most requested songs to play on the radio...at least it was. But still, it's not Pop.

It's rock and roll or Hard Rock or whatever...but not "pop". You seem to be mixed up in what things are. It's no more "Pop" than it is "Rap" or "Soul". Pop is a genre of music. It always has been. Just because you broke it down to meaning "popular music" doesn't mean anything, because then ALL music genre's could be consider "pop". You don't seem to be getting this. If released today, you wouldn't be hearing Zeppelin played alongside a Britney Spears or Beyonc

• Members
I don't know what difference it makes to you....but I live 10 miles south of Detroit city limits and about 15 miles from downtown.

I lived in Detroit until I was 10 years old. I still have a lot of relatives living in the city (and yes they are Caucasian - all of them didn't move to the suburbs). Your stereotyping is ignorant.

I said Detroit is the "home of rock and roll". I didn't say Detroit invented the term "rock and roll".

Why? Detroit was known for their great rock and roll crowds at concerts.

Rock and Metal are still big in Detroit. There are tons of local bands playing every night.

Thanks again for the history lesson. I don't know how I made it 40 years without you.

Soooo... I am right about you not actually living in the city. I have dozens of friends from the Detroit area, but none who actually live within the city limits, as it's been a rat hole of a place to live for 3 decades now. I live in the city of Chicago, where you can still leave your house without the fear of being a victim of a felony crime. :D

I'd have to argue that Chicago has waaay more bands (especially within the city limits) than Detroit does, by far.

I'm glad to hear you made it to 40 years of age without me. Leaving the city of Detroit probably contributed to your ability to survive until now. ;)

• Members
I just think you guys sound ignorant when you slam everything in the pop aisle as be talentless {censored}. It's not very fair.

Were not.

This thread is specifically about Taylor Swift not being able to sing very well.

Haven't you read the title? :confused:

• Members

It's really nothing but what Hud points out about guitar forums. Maybe it's just the expression "pop music" that makes me gag and nothing more. When I hear it I think of pink guitars and a generation of sissy-boys raised on G.I Joe's and computer games. Am I so wrong?

• Members

Soooo... I am right about you not actually living in the city. I have dozens of friends from the Detroit area, but none who actually live within the city limits, as it's been a rat hole of a place to live for 3 decades now. I live in the city of Chicago, where you can still leave your house without the fear of being a victim of a felony crime.

I'd have to argue that Chicago has waaay more bands (especially within the city limits) than Detroit does, by far.

I'm glad to hear you made it to 40 years of age without me. Leaving the city of Detroit probably contributed to your ability to survive until now.
;)

I like Chicago.

What do you want from me?

• Members

But you're calling Led Zeppelin a "Pop" band and you claim to own every album they ever made.

Doesn't that make you a "Pop music" fan?

Were not.

This thread is specifically about Taylor Swift not being able to sing very well.

Haven't you read the title?
:confused:

Hey Buck - sorry if I offended you.

Do me a favor and put me on your ignore list.

• Members
I'm not a pop fan. I just think you guys sound ignorant when you slam everything in the pop aisle as be talentless {censored}. It's not very fair.

Honestly, I never slammed pop. Just said that I don't consider Zeppelin "pop".

I'm actually a big admirer of pop. I generally like songs from all genres of music and will I honestly not generalize (at least not mean to) put down a genre or place one over another. That's not to say I like everything, but the things I do like span quite a diverse swath. Not by choice or anything, just that I like what I like. :idk:

• Members

Oh man, Dream Theater are Prog Rock gods. I LOVE that group. Pop isn't bad, it's just "common" that's all. Most musicians that I know like to play something more uncommon, something that's more of a stretch for em'. IMHO Country Music has gone WAY Pop in the last few years. A lot of what ya' hear is a long way from Cash and Hank Sr. and more like pop stuff from the 90's. It doesn't make it bad, it's just not the same as it was. Heck, I love Brad Pasiley and Keith Urban with their guitar solos even if it's something more like Rock the Country. Music has a thousand faces, no two are the same. You just have to know what ya' like and what ya' don't like and hang with people that have the same tastes, that's all. I'm Classic Rock/Metal/Grunge/Bluegrass/Country/Blues/Smooth Jazz. Don't care much for Rap or Pop or other styles but I can listen to em' and appreciate what's going down. IF Music is from the Heart then that's really all that matters, unfortunatly most Pop isn't from the Heart, it's from the Wallet.

• Members

MHO Country Music has gone WAY Pop in the last few years. A lot of what ya' hear is a long way from Cash and Hank Sr. and more like pop stuff from the 90's. It doesn't make it bad, it's just not the same as it was. Heck, I love Brad Pasiley and Keith Urban with their guitar solos even if it's something more like Rock the Country.

I tend to agree with you on mainstream country. I like the road that Roots and Modern Bluegrass have gone, like with Alison Krauss and others. But mainstream country really just sounds the same. I couldn't tell one from the other. Back when I was growing up there was no mistaking Conway Twitty over Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson or Merle Hagard or Porter Wagner. Same with the women, Loretta, Dolly, EmmyLou. Today's modern country just seems generalized. To me at least.

• Members

Arguing about a band from 1969 being transported into the 2009 music industry and trying to project where they would fall in the musical spectrum is a nice brain exercise, but has no reality and nobody really gives a damn anyway. The music was great back then (mid 50s - mid 70s) and not as good today. That's all I know.

• Members

Todays Country is "what sells". When an outsider like Jammi Johnson or "back in the day" Travis Tritt comes along they have a heck of a time making in roads into the Country music business. Country has become "cookie cutter" unfortunatly. There's not much room for dirversity. That's why I love bands like Zac Brown Band and the like, they tend to break the mold a bit.

• Members

I'm trying as best as I can to get back to mocking Taylor Swift, but the conversation keeps going back to Led Zeppelin.
:confused:

Yeah and the demographics of Detroit and where I live and how I managed to survive and other assorted nonsense.

You have issues.

• Members
Yeah and the demographics of Detroit and where I live and how I managed to survive and other assorted nonsense.

You have issues.

No issues... just a realist.

Detroit isn't exactly Disneyland, you know! :D

Not that Chicago is much better, I'm just here until I retire 2 years from now. :cool:

• Members

No issues... just a realist.

Detroit isn't exactly Disneyland, you know!

Not that Chicago is much better, I'm just here until I retire 2 years from now.
:cool:

Detroit isn't exactly how you think it is either.

It's not 1985 anymore.

• Members
Detroit isn't exactly how you think it is either.

It's not 1985 anymore.

I know, I know... but it's still on the comeback trail from bottoming out.

Chicago is going to be like Detroit used to be in the 80's if Mayor DingDong Daley doesn't stop putting all the money into the downtown area and continues to neglect the outlying neighborhoods. :facepalm:

Archived