No announcement yet.

Happy NGD...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guitarcapo View Post
    Sweet. I like to remove one of the two B and high E strings, making them "single" with my 12 string guitars. I just like the sound better without all that jangle to the high end.
    Interesting idea - it also allows you to play single note leads on those two strings too I suppose... I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks for the suggestion!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by garthman View Post
      My 12 string jangle fix is to use nylon strings for the main strings. I use a set of La Bella 850W which have a wound 3rd. I then use spare strings from electric guitar sets for the octaves. Again I use La Bella - electric sets - which have spare 1st and 2nd strings. I use the spares from a 10 gauge set for the 1st and 2nd string octaves (although they are not octaves of course) and the spares from a 12 gauge set for the 4th and 5th octaves. I then use a single 8 gauge plain steel for the 3rd string octave and a single electric 10 gauge D string for the 6th string octave,

Here's a pic:

The mellowness of the nylons produce a nice overall sound. I also intend to experiment by replacing the main 1st and 2nd nylon monofilaments with wound nylon D and A strings respectively - tuned to E and D an octave lower than the steels.. I'm hoping it will result in a nice enhanced bass to mids range. I'll let you know.
      Please keep us posted!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by BobF_ View Post
        Congrats Phil. That's purdy!
        Thanks Bob. I was playing it again last night for a bit, and I really do like it. I think that, for me at least, I made a very good choice.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post
          The Taylor looks like a nice guitar. I've never played this model. The 354 and 355 are the only ones I've tried and I have to say the 355 was a decent guitar. I was reared on a Guild F-412, though. To my thinking, everything else was and remains a distant 2nd. That said, If I ever get serious about another one it will be in carbon fiber. I'm done with the wood instruments, I think.
          I'm still a big fan of wood, but there are definite maintenance concerns where I live. Here in Southern California it's pretty dry overall, and I live in a windy area, which makes it worse, so I am constantly filling case humidifiers, and not having to do so would be a huge advantage of having carbon fiber instruments. But carbon fiber probably wouldn't have that new guitar wood smell that I love so much...

As far as Guilds, I love the way some of their acoustics sound. A buddy of mine had a maple jumbo that was one of the very best sounding acoustics I've ever heard... but the neck was just too much for me to handle as a daily player. I could play it, but it was larger than I prefer... and that's been an issue with most of their guitars - the necks just don't work for my hands unfortunately. I wish they did - they're terrific sounding instruments!

- George Carlin

Comment

very nice!!!
            Black Alvarez RD20SBlue SnarkWampler Ego Compressor"He That Hath The Son Hath Life, He that hath not the son, Hath not Life" I John 5:12Alvarez Alliance Sr member"He that hath the Son hath Life, He that hath not the Son, hath not Life"1 John 5:12

Comment

I've got my Martin d12 set up like a more like a ric... Octave strings on the first three are reversed so fingerpicking gets the primary note and it feels more evenly balanced to me on strumming / picking up or down...( when I don't want that jangle I play one of the six strings but never the five...)

Oh, and if you get tired of that Taylor, Phil...
              Last edited by Voltan; 09-25-2015, 07:20 AM.
              my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

Working...
              X