Happy NGD...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Phil O, I believe the Gibson J185 12 sting was a special order that Musicians Friend did with Gibson.

My J185 has a fatter neck than the slim taper 60's profile neck of a Les Paul, and a less chubby of the neck on my ES 135.

Phil Keaggy, I believe uses an Olsen, and you rarely see those up for sale. I think everything Olsen does is made to order.

Someday I'll do a 12 string acoustic, but I'm not sure what.

Oh and enjoy your Taylor, it should work out just fine for ya.

Phil O, I believe the Gibson J185 12 sting was a special order that Musicians Friend did with Gibson.

My J185 has a fatter neck than the slim taper 60's profile neck of a Les Paul, and a less chubby of the neck on my ES 135.

I have snausage fingers - I'm all about slim, trim necks. :):o

Phil Keaggy, I believe uses an Olsen, and you rarely see those up for sale. I think everything Olsen does is made to order.

You're right. Last I heard, that's what he was playing for acoustics. Nice guitars, but a bit more pricey than I can really justify. Phil makes his sound fantastic though.

Someday I'll do a 12 string acoustic, but I'm not sure what.

It's such an identifiable and useful sound. I really like to have lots of sonic options in the studio, so having decent electric and acoustic 12 string guitars around that I (or the people I work with) can grab and use at a moment's notice is important to me.

Oh and enjoy your Taylor, it should work out just fine for ya.

Thanks Mikeo, I have been enjoying it! :cool2: And I think you're right - it's going to work for my needs just fine. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Nice 12 string, have you recorded with it yet?

I have an old 60's Ventura brand 12 string, its got bridge belly but its great for the cowboy chords.

Its made for playing mosquito song, wish you were here, fade to black, leadbelly, and my own stuff.

Sometimes I tune down a half step, and capo the 1st fret to get standard tuning and a lower action.

• Members
Sweet. I like to remove one of the two B and high E strings' date=' making them "single" with my 12 string guitars. I just like the sound better without all that jangle to the high end.[/quote']

Kinda defeats the 12's purpose but I get what you mean in the solo sense. Down a full step also helps reduce the jangle, a smidge, but may require some tweaking to avert the buzz. I reversed the positions of the G strings on the 12-string guitars I owned because finger picking wasn't getting the G octave into the mix. Otherwise, the thumb pick brings the D-A-E out nicely.

The Taylor looks like a nice guitar. I've never played this model. The 354 and 355 are the only ones I've tried and I have to say the 355 was a decent guitar. I was reared on a Guild F-412, though. To my thinking, everything else was and remains a distant 2nd. That said, If I ever get serious about another one it will be in carbon fiber. I'm done with the wood instruments, I think.

• Members

My 12 string jangle fix is to use nylon strings for the main strings. I use a set of La Bella 850W which have a wound 3rd. I then use spare strings from electric guitar sets for the octaves. Again I use La Bella - electric sets - which have spare 1st and 2nd strings. I use the spares from a 10 gauge set for the 1st and 2nd string octaves (although they are not octaves of course) and the spares from a 12 gauge set for the 4th and 5th octaves. I then use a single 8 gauge plain steel for the 3rd string octave and a single electric 10 gauge D string for the 6th string octave,

Here's a pic:

fetch?id=31586807

The mellowness of the nylons produce a nice overall sound. I also intend to experiment by replacing the main 1st and 2nd nylon monofilaments with wound nylon D and A strings respectively - tuned to E and D an octave lower than the steels.. I'm hoping it will result in a nice enhanced bass to mids range. I'll let you know.

Sweet. I like to remove one of the two B and high E strings' date=' making them "single" with my 12 string guitars. I just like the sound better without all that jangle to the high end.[/quote']

Interesting idea - it also allows you to play single note leads on those two strings too I suppose... I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

My 12 string jangle fix is to use nylon strings for the main strings. I use a set of La Bella 850W which have a wound 3rd. I then use spare strings from electric guitar sets for the octaves. Again I use La Bella - electric sets - which have spare 1st and 2nd strings. I use the spares from a 10 gauge set for the 1st and 2nd string octaves (although they are not octaves of course) and the spares from a 12 gauge set for the 4th and 5th octaves. I then use a single 8 gauge plain steel for the 3rd string octave and a single electric 10 gauge D string for the 6th string octave,

Here's a pic:

fetch?id=31586807

The mellowness of the nylons produce a nice overall sound. I also intend to experiment by replacing the main 1st and 2nd nylon monofilaments with wound nylon D and A strings respectively - tuned to E and D an octave lower than the steels.. I'm hoping it will result in a nice enhanced bass to mids range. I'll let you know.

Please keep us posted! :snax:

The Taylor looks like a nice guitar. I've never played this model. The 354 and 355 are the only ones I've tried and I have to say the 355 was a decent guitar. I was reared on a Guild F-412, though. To my thinking, everything else was and remains a distant 2nd. That said, If I ever get serious about another one it will be in carbon fiber. I'm done with the wood instruments, I think.

I'm still a big fan of wood, but there are definite maintenance concerns where I live. Here in Southern California it's pretty dry overall, and I live in a windy area, which makes it worse, so I am constantly filling case humidifiers, and not having to do so would be a huge advantage of having carbon fiber instruments. But carbon fiber probably wouldn't have that new guitar wood smell that I love so much... ;)

As far as Guilds, I love the way some of their acoustics sound. A buddy of mine had a maple jumbo that was one of the very best sounding acoustics I've ever heard... but the neck was just too much for me to handle as a daily player. I could play it, but it was larger than I prefer... and that's been an issue with most of their guitars - the necks just don't work for my hands unfortunately. I wish they did - they're terrific sounding instruments!

• Members

I've got my Martin d12 set up like a more like a ric... Octave strings on the first three are reversed so fingerpicking gets the primary note and it feels more evenly balanced to me on strumming / picking up or down...( when I don't want that jangle I play one of the six strings but never the five...)

Oh, and if you get tired of that Taylor, Phil...

Archived