Can you relate ?

satmanjf@gmail.com

• Members

I'm wondering if this is common, I'm sure it is or maybe it's age.

I've been playing 27 years and forgot how to play songs I use to know.

1st song I learned was "One" by Metallica. , Can't remember it.

I tried Diary of a madman yesterday and can't remember that either.

If I give it 10 minutes or so I will stumble on to bits and pieces and eventually put it together.

I feel as the more I learn the more I forget, strange

• Members

I can relate to something similar which is that I have been listening to some stuff of mine that I taped 20 years back with some improvised chords and I simply don't have a clue what I played. I play what I think I did but it sounds completely different. I thought it was burned in but it isn't. Even listening to the guitar track alone with the vocals off I can only get half of it by ear. So yeah, sometimes stuff falls off the far end of the conveyor.

If I can attach an MP3 of a bit to a post? I'll show you.

Okay done

( Its not the 'song' just the last minute of the guitar track on it's own isolated from the vocals and keys)

• Members

Oh yes, definitely relate. Much like chordite, I've got a bunch of past recordings and can't remember what I was doing in half of them. Slayer and Metallica songs I knew like the back of my hand, I only remember certain riffs. Sucks. But I still remember the first whole song I ever learned, and can still play it - Movin Out - Aerosmith.

• Members

Chords and all that stuff I can usually access. Fun part is not remembering the songs to be in my mental playlist. Oh yeah, and the lyrics... so I make up new ones on the fly. Some think I am clever at that, but it is just can't seem to find the words....

• Members

I feel like I play soundbites and not songs a lot of the time. I will remember little parts that I worked really hard on, or a cool riff, and forget the entire rest of the song. Its like I have so many memory slots and when they fill up, something has to go to make room for more tunes.

I've been asked by bands I've recorded or produced to sit in on guitar for a live show on several occasions, and have had to go back and relearn parts I played on the albums.

Once I figure out the part and lay it down, it's not likely I'm going to remember it - it's not like I'm playing it live night after night, and that repetition over a long period of time tends to be what keeps it fresh in your memory. If you don't play something for a long time, it's quite possible to forget it.

OTOH, on a positive note, it seems to be a lot easier to relearn something you once knew than it is to learn it to begin with. If you start working on it again, it will probably come back to you pretty quickly. :)

could read, play, age 8-11, stopped, bad move...can still play, but not "sight read", as "fast" as "music" requires......oh well, still play though...

I think sight reading is definitely something you need to do a lot in order to be good at it. The more you do it, the faster you'll become.

Archived