Want to write Electric guitar riffs and melodies? try this.

knotty

• Members

hmmm.......I guess I think it's really just not that complicated. This may sound arrogant, but it really isn't meant to be, but personally I've never found coming up with (what I think are) cool melodies to be much of a problem. I mean the inspiration for them is just there. Made up of the countless hours of my life studying all the music I love. As a kid sitting with my headphones on mentally tearing apart every single sound I heard on a record. Dissecting it and asking my self why I liked it. And also why I didn't like the stuff I didn't like.

Starting with drums taught me the Rhythm part of it, so by the time I learned my first couple of chords on guitar I could assemble them into original things I thought were cool. From there learning famous songs just gave me more options for things I could use.

I don't see writing melodies as any kind of "magic" or "genius" in the same way I don't see people who have amazing musical technical prowess on their instruments as being "magical". It's learned and it's practice. Sure some people will always be better than others....just as anything else in life...but it all comes from study and hard work and anyone can become good at it with the right training.

I suppose if looking for outside inspiration for a melody, like a speech, or whatever, as the video suggests, is necessary for some people then great more power too them. Whatever it takes to create a cool song, really doesn't matter. There isn't a "right" way to make music. It's all valid. I guess I've just never needed to look at it like that.

To me the melodies are the easy part. It's the arranging that gets much harder. Once you have that cool melody, what do you do with it? How do you shape and contort that into something that will make a cool 2 to 3 minute song? How do you come up with and add a complementary or counter melody to it to create a cool 5 to 7 minute song?

• Members

Most of my riffs and pieces come to me in dreams. I keep a little hand dictation machine by the bed because it is almost impossible to hold them in memory for more than a minute after waking.

Sometimes it is dream "background music" and sometimes it is actually dreaming playing a guitar or keyboard.

• Members

Riffs come to me at various times of the day, so what I've started doing is humming them into the sound recorder on my phone. Trying to remember them all day is dam impossible. Later in the week or whatever I sit down and try to work through them. As sound creation said, arranging all these melodies/riffs is what takes a second. I want to make sure they flow together in a sensible way. Lyrics on the other hand are a little more challenging for me, and usually flow with the guitar.

• Members

Using this method I just came up with a great riff and lyrics.

I can't record the riff but the lyrics go like this...

"I hit the sack

I've been too long I'm glad to be back

Yes, I'm let loose

From the noose

That's kept me hanging about

I've been looking at the sky

'Cause it's gettin' me high

Forget the hearse 'cause I never die

I got nine lives

Cat's eyes

Abusin' every one of them and running wild"

That's as far as I've gotten so far.

• Members
Using this method I just came up with a great riff and lyrics.

I can't record the riff but the lyrics go like this...

"I hit the sack

I've been too long I'm glad to be back

Yes, I'm let loose

From the noose

That's kept me hanging about

I've been looking at the sky

'Cause it's gettin' me high

Forget the hearse 'cause I never die

I got nine lives

Cat's eyes

Abusin' every one of them and running wild"

That's as far as I've gotten so far.

hmmm.......sounds juuuuuuuuust a little familiar.....you might want to google that one.

• Members

Learning and practicing improv is what helped me with melodies as a player. As a singer, I go where the rhythm, chords, and lyrics take me. I'm beginning to find rhythm guitar more interesting than lead, because the rhythm is what drives a song. To create a signature rhythm or riff is much more memorable than a solo. I think that's why I find much of modern metal pretty bland because it's an entire generation of players who spent half a day doing scales so they could shred faster. I've spent up to six hours playing, but I no longer have the interest. Conversely, I'm also straying away from layered effects and playing more with basic tonality, and spending more time with my acoustic.

Archived