Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best budget axe you ever layed hands on

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wank, the Maestro is a decent budget axe, but I can't be sure how another model would play. I KNOW the SX/Douglas's are all pretty decent in general.
    My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
    Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

Not completely 'budget', but relatively low cost for what you are getting: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (the 50s white one they first brought out). Honestly it has such a superb bridge pickup, which really comes pretty close to the CS ones Fender uses (I acutally preferred it, as it was more rounded, alnico III). Finish on most i have seen is really high standard. There was a period of time on TDPRI when people were absolutely raving about them... I think because of the realisation that you really could get a high quality tele for a reasonable price - one that competed ok with the American made models.
      My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

Comment

Originally posted by badpenguin View Post
        Wank, the Maestro is a decent budget axe, but I can't be sure how another model would play. I KNOW the SX/Douglas's are all pretty decent in general.
        Yeah you right, at that price point it's really hard to top an SX or a Douglas. Never actually played a Douglas, but I have a friend that has an SX bass that he paid $100 new for and it's incredibly solid and playable. It's just a head scratcher how they can turn em out so cheap.

Willy wrote: Not completely 'budget', but relatively low cost for what you are getting: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (the 50s white one they first brought out). Honestly it has such a superb bridge pickup, which really comes pretty close to the CS ones Fender uses (I acutally preferred it, as it was more rounded, alnico III). Finish on most i have seen is really high standard. There was a period of time on TDPRI when people were absolutely raving about them... I think because of the realisation that you really could get a high quality tele for a reasonable price - one that competed ok with the American made models.

No that's actually the epitome of what I was originally going for: a guitar mass produced at a lower price point which competes well with the frontline guitar it substitutes for. Those are quality budget guitars for sure, hence all the buzz.
        "Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when you're listening. Playing the piano ['guitar'] allows you to do both at the same time." -Kelsey Grammer

Comment

Kramer Baretta Special. Super deal, less than 200.
          Best regards,
          Rich
          www.guytronix.com

Comment

I'm still very impressed with my Squier Classic vibe.
            www.heddatheband.com

Comment

^Gorgeous Strat mang. I've played one of those side by side with American and MIM Strats and those things really hold their own. Resonant bodies, and some real organic chime. Sometimes I think they beat some contemporary MIMs. I'd have one to go with my Strat collection if they made one with a heftier neck.

Kramer Baretta Special. Super deal, less than 200.

Must be true cause I'd never even heard of those things till I started this thread.
              "Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when you're listening. Playing the piano ['guitar'] allows you to do both at the same time." -Kelsey Grammer

Comment

• Richard Guy
                Richard Guy commented
                Editing a comment
                They got an Editor's Pick in GP for whatever that's worth. Mahogany body, maple neck, ......... like those mid 70's LP pancakes.

• wankdeplank
                wankdeplank commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting choice of woods. Now I gotta go to youtube to see how that sounds. Seems like it might be rather limited though with that single pickup and control combination.

Those MIJ Strats from the 80's were killer! I had one back then that I stuffed full of EMG's I would've put up against almost anything.

Currently I've got a dead stock MIC P90 Tele that records amazingly well. I find myself reaching for it time and time again over much more expensive guitars.
              "Born to Play" MP3 album at iTunes & Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Burgess View Post
                Those MIJ Strats from the 80's were killer! I had one back then that I stuffed full of EMG's I would've put up against almost anything.

Currently I've got a dead stock MIC P90 Tele that records amazingly well. I find myself reaching for it time and time again over much more expensive guitars.
                Funny how that happens sometimes. I'm assuming that it's a classic vibe or at least a Fender product. My thinking is that the budget market is pretty hit or miss but when you get lucky you can sometimes find something that can compete with top shelf.

Oh yeah, welcome back Burgess.

Comment

Originally posted by wankdeplank View Post

Funny how that happens sometimes. I'm assuming that it's a classic vibe or at least a Fender product. My thinking is that the budget market is pretty hit or miss but when you get lucky you can sometimes find something that can compete with top shelf.

Oh yeah, welcome back Burgess.
                  Not a Fender. Raven West Guitars. Not even really a great guitar, plays decent, fret work is suspect at best but the thing really pops in the mix and you really don't do much to it EQ-wise.

And thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Burgess View Post
                    Not a Fender. Raven West Guitars. Not even really a great guitar, plays decent, fret work is suspect at best but the thing really pops in the mix and you really don't do much to it EQ-wise.

And thanks!
                    Interesting, I've heard some good things about those.

Comment

• Has since gone on to a good home, but this MIC Peavey Generation Triple-Single EX was a happy-making combo of bulletproof construction, comfy playability, and musical-sounding Tele and Strat tones, all for a buck 'n' change...

Comment

• ^Looks like a sweet ride LT. Peavey makes some good stuff.

Had my friend's PRS SE EG for about a week and I gotta say once I shielded the pickguard and got rid of the static issue, that thing was a real serious instrument. It beat some of the US PRS I've tried, for me anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danhedonia View Post
                          So, am familiar with various 335 imitations (wtf with the cop showing up whenever you mean kopy?). The Reverend is brighter, nowhere near as "woody" or throaty in tone. It's almost - ALMOST - Tele like in the richness of the overtones in the upper mid register. The best comparison I can make is Vini Reilly of Durutti Column / "Suedehead" Morrissey, etc. And the feel is just faster.

One thing I love about Reverends (I have a bass of theirs, too) is that bass cut control. Just a very good idea.
                          Heh, came across this thread again and it was a good read. Saw Dan cite Suedehead and had to post the vid as it is late fall here and it just makes too much sense.

Comment

• Way back when you might have considered Ibanez a budget axe, I did anyway. They made an Alembic knock-off that had me use my SG as a backup when I was touring back in the day. People would ask me after the set why I wasn't playing the Gibson, I'd tell them The Ibanez was a better guitar. I used to get the funniest looks...

I had a MIJ Strat from the 80's that played and sounded as good as anything. I had it loaded with EMGs but it was the 80's.

Comment

• My Vietnamese arch-top is the best.

I bought it for $225 new. I added a KA humbucker and the pick-guard. I installed Schallers for tuning.
                              Fantastic guitar. I love it and record with it more than any guitar I own.
                              He has escaped! Youtube , ‚ÄčMurika , France

Comment

Working...
                              X