Best budget axe you ever layed hands on

wankdeplank

• Members

I am alive. Unfortunately, many people I knew and loved are not, and it's been a tough year. Tough, tough year.

Radar, I need to thank you: After an enormous amount of poking around on the 'net, I never knew if I had a M-72 or M-75. There's no model # on it, and of course no DeArmond serial # search site. Now, I know I have an M-72, as mine is a flat-top (not carved). It is just a sick, sick guitar. I got it for $200 -- with a coffin case! -- at the Palmdale (CA) Guitar Center, wandering in there one night while bored on the road at the Hampton Inn next door. I just love that guitar.

As for Manta Rays, there are two models, and I have the less expensive bargain one. Photo below.

The Morris Hurricane Stella seems to hover somewhere between cult 'lost' guitar and a more nebulous place as yesteryear's Jay Turser. It was a Japanese, simply made Strat; some of them from Matsumoku. Based on a peek at the rear cavity (and it came with no cavity cover), looks like plywood. And it sure weights a lot.

But the neck ... the neck is ridiculous. If you've ever played one of "those" MIJs, you know that one thing that characterizes a sweet MIJ guitar (whether Fender or what have you) is the neck. Exquisite maple, and a rosewood fretboard that is dense yet has great feel. Vintage frets. And just absolute perfection in terms of straightness, etc.

The pickups are similarly rich, with a very vintage warmth, lower output, and yet somehow a much more rich bass response than, say, MIA Strats.

It's painted a pallid hospital green, and has clearly seen a lot of action. The previous owner decked the trem and I left it like that -- because it sustains for over a week and a half (ok, I exaggerate). But it rings long and true. Meaty single-ply black p/g and it looks very retro - even for a 70's guitar. So, I put a Beatles strap on it, and it is my "Revolver" guitar. So lemony, so clean, so rich.

4e9139739d464bcb404955ae77652c13.thumb.jpg.70660f8d3504a20ee88636a38b008508.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Where to start, so much good stuff. That's the aspect I always liked the best about this place was the generous disposition of its patrons, probably been taken advantage of more than once. Anyway I really love picking you guys brains. Radar, I'd heard that that Axl stuff was good and wanted to try that badwater strat since I first heard about it. Dan, I'm in love with your guitar, she's wicked sexy. A quick google search shows they are not cheap though. Sounds like you got the deal of a lifetime. I'm assuming those are made in Korea, still at their price-point maybe not a true budget guitar in the sense originally intended. Checked out a youtube video of it as well and you right it does have that ric thing goin on in spades. Humbucker thanks for weighing in. The love and TLC you've put into that SX remind me of my 93 MIM Squier Series Strat that I paid $100 for and then spent well over $200 fixing it up with pickups etc. Some of the best money I ever spent too.

• Members
Where to start, so much good stuff. That's the aspect I always liked the best about this place was the generous disposition of its patrons, probably been taken advantage of more than once. Anyway I really love picking you guys brains. Radar, I'd heard that that Axl stuff was good and wanted to try that badwater strat since I first heard about it. Dan, I'm in love with your guitar, she's wicked sexy. A quick google search shows they are not cheap though. Sounds like you got the deal of a lifetime. I'm assuming those are made in Korea, still at their price-point maybe not a true budget guitar in the sense originally intended. Checked out a youtube video of it as well and you right it does have that ric thing goin on in spades. Humbucker thanks for weighing in. The love and TLC you've put into that SX remind me of my 93 MIM Squier Series Strat that I paid $100 for and then spent well over $200 fixing it up with pickups etc. Some of the best money I ever spent too.
Thnx for the kind words, wankdeplank :eatdrink004:

• Members

I wouldn't swear there were no better budget axes out there but my favourite guitar is my cheapest; Gretsch Electromatic 5124 (the white one with DeArmond 2000 pups). Not sure how much they were new - I think a fair bit under 1000 though - but I picked mine up used but as new on eBay for around 300 GBP (approx. 450 USD). It covers a lot of territory and it's always the first guitar I pick up when I'm feeling creative.

• Members

Hope I don't sound nitpicky - my Manta Ray has P-90's and I think that is / was a different (cheaper, perhaps discontinued) model than the current pricey Manta Ray. And by extension, I think you can find them on eBay for <$500. I know a guy was selling one on Santa Fe Craigslist not too long ago (in a midnight blue metal flake) for $550 ask. I think it is a 290 vs. the 390?

Update: YIPES. I went on eBay, and yes, I got quite the deal.

And I wouldn't give up on that GAS; I have around 25 guitars from high end to low, vintage to "well, it's 6pm now," and that Reverend always, always winds up getting attention from serious players who visit. I would also put it up against nearly any Rick I've played, and that includes some very nice vintage stuff I had access to back in Boston. Schechter TSH-1's are also less-expensive, Asian Rick type guitars, but I'll take my Reverend any day.

And yes, the gold-flecked seafoam green is super sexy. I wish I knew how to post a bigger photo on this site.

If I could offer one word to those who love to hunt down great deals in guitars, it would be find the place in your town that seems to be the Homeless Shelter for Unloved Instruments. In Albuquerque, it's MGR; maybe a pawn shop or a GC with a canny used gear manager, whatever, and just keep dropping by for a few minutes.

Then, check out stuff with less-sexy brands but from good eras/places of manufacture that you know. For example, I know that in the late 90's Korea had several contract factories that were turning out amazing SHB's. So, I got an Epi Sheraton III (?) for $380 that is a tremendous guitar. Or the '73 Ibanez Tele copy that I got with the Maxon pickups for $400 - I would put up against any Tele. Etc.

The key to dropping by frequently is actually a time-saver; once you get a feel for a place, you can usually dismiss 85% of what they have, and then just see what's new that isn't in "the usual garbage" category.

• Members
Here me now,.......... Believe me later..... Kramer Baretta Special.

Must be true, cause somebody already beat you to the punch on that one. Still hard to fathom a guitar with one pickup and one control for me anyway.

Thom wrote: I have Zager Ez play Acoustic Electric Special Edition Guitar. Its very easier to play and half the price compare to other guitars of this style.

Sweet looking acoustic Thom. Probably another Samick product. I have a Silvertone acoustic (my beater acoustic) that I paid $40 for new that would knock your socks off. Samick made, all laminate, sounds good, plays good and projects like crazy, just not as warm sounding as my old Japanese Alvarez. Part of the reason I always buck conventional thinking and say tonewood is more salient for electrics than acoustics.

Surrealistic wrote: I wouldn't swear there were no better budget axes out there but my favourite guitar is my cheapest; Gretsch Electromatic 5124 (the white one with DeArmond 2000 pups). Not sure how much they were new - I think a fair bit under 1000 though - but I picked mine up used but as new on eBay for around 300 GBP (approx. 450 USD). It covers a lot of territory and it's always the first guitar I pick up when I'm feeling creative.

That's a pretty compelling endorsement Surrealistic. Another guitar I've yet to demo.

BG76 wrote: For me it would be these old Les Paul Special models. I have a few of them, but they're lower cost versions of the Standard and Custom models.

Obviously not something most of us would consider a budget guitar nowadays. Still when you consider how much they originally cost and their position in the Gibson line at the time, I think it's a valid submission. Somehow I don't think today's $600 Gibson Specials are made to the same standard. Oh yeah, thanks for the sweet pics amigo.

Danhedonia wrote: Update: YIPES. I went on eBay, and yes, I got quite the deal.

And I wouldn't give up on that GAS; I have around 25 guitars from high end to low, vintage to "well, it's 6pm now," and that Reverend always, always winds up getting attention from serious players who visit. I would also put it up against nearly any Rick I've played, and that includes some very nice vintage stuff I had access to back in Boston. Schechter TSH-1's are also less-expensive, Asian Rick type guitars, but I'll take my Reverend any day.

And yes, the gold-flecked seafoam green is super sexy. I wish I knew how to post a bigger photo on this site.

If I could offer one word to those who love to hunt down great deals in guitars, it would be find the place in your town that seems to be the Homeless Shelter for Unloved Instruments. In Albuquerque, it's MGR; maybe a pawn shop or a GC with a canny used gear manager, whatever, and just keep dropping by for a few minutes.

Then, check out stuff with less-sexy brands but from good eras/places of manufacture that you know. For example, I know that in the late 90's Korea had several contract factories that were turning out amazing SHB's. So, I got an Epi Sheraton III (?) for $380 that is a tremendous guitar. Or the '73 Ibanez Tele copy that I got with the Maxon pickups for $400 - I would put up against any Tele. Etc.

The key to dropping by frequently is actually a time-saver; once you get a feel for a place, you can usually dismiss 85% of what they have, and then just see what's new that isn't in "the usual garbage" category.

Good stuff Dan. I'm dyin to try one of those Reverends. Everybody that has one seems to love it. Still, the rational side of me says, hey my new 335 copy probably covers a lot of the same ground and if not chances are one of the other nine electrics I have does. Still, will file under "guitars to check out and obtain if and when you hit the lottery". Definitely some good advice for anyone looking to score some sleeper deals.

• Members

So, am familiar with various 335 imitations (wtf with the cop showing up whenever you mean kopy?). The Reverend is brighter, nowhere near as "woody" or throaty in tone. It's almost - ALMOST - Tele like in the richness of the overtones in the upper mid register. The best comparison I can make is Vini Reilly of Durutti Column / "Suedehead" Morrissey, etc. And the feel is just faster.

One thing I love about Reverends (I have a bass of theirs, too) is that bass cut control. Just a very good idea.

• Members

Hey Penguin,

Good to see you back round these parts. Guess the fact that you bought a Maestro on the same day as your L6S gives you major street cred in this thread. Kinda surprised you didn't mention that one - love the bigsby by the way.

Hey Dan,

Dude you're killing me with this friendly fire Gas!!! You know I'll never score a deal like yours on that Manta Ray and I just don't have the dosh right now or the proclivity to flip one of my nicer (read more valuable) guitars. Trust me, I know what a schweet topshelf axe that is cause I youtubed it. Truth is I'm scared to go back. Still, don't sweat it homes, we cool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I havnt played many cheap guitars lately but im really shocked with the 3 ive found on craigslist recently. I picked up an ibanez that needed a little love for $30. and the neck is really good no lifted frets, i can get the action low without buzz and the electronics in it really dont need much attention. I then found a cheap ernieball musicman copy it says "SUB" on it and i like how it plays as well. Lastly a kid had an ibanez starter kit Amp, guitar, stand cable everything for $40.! and it even plays good! the quality of cheap guitars out now really is nice to see. It make me wonder about some of the 1-2k guitars i see in sweetwater and musiciansfriend after playing these cheapies they must play like butter.

Ill tell you though, just tearing down the 2 ibanez guitars ive never really been a big fan of ibanez but that company does everything right. over drilling the holes in the body where the neck joint is i like that, the 6 screws that hold the cheap bridge on are BETWEEN the strings again i like that dumb little things like that they didnt need to redesign that cheap junk bridge but they did and its for the better. It makes it easier to tear down when it has strings on it.

These kids now days really dont know how good they got it. I only wish my first guitar was the quality and cost of what i see out there now.

• Members

Apparently those Subs are actually made by Music Man and I have heard good things. Ibanez makes a nice guitar, particularly like their Artcore series in the budget category.

So to reiterate my best budget nominees, I liked the Korean made Washburn P290 well enough to keep it over an American made (Custom Shop) P4 I had. Not that it was better built (it isn't), but it compared well in the sound department and actually had a little wider neck (which I like). I also have a real soft spot for the Mexican built 90's vintage Fender Squier Series guitars. The necks on these things are amazing and often worth more than the price you can find them for. I have two which after mods I like roughly as well as my 89 American. Then there's the Korean made Robelli 335 copy which requires no mods and plays and sounds like the real deal to my ears.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my Korean made Washburn Bantam Series XB102 shown below. Picked this baby up for a song on Craigs and am I glad I did. All top notch hardware with a three piece Alder body. My bass player loves this bass. It's no more than eight or nine pounds (no neck dive) is very resonant and has a real woody vintage sound.

27d3ca75a7a69a1694dc8bd76e00b7b1.jpg.d260af44303f1a19972dfefc74fb9ce4.jpg

• Members

Not completely 'budget', but relatively low cost for what you are getting: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (the 50s white one they first brought out). Honestly it has such a superb bridge pickup, which really comes pretty close to the CS ones Fender uses (I acutally preferred it, as it was more rounded, alnico III). Finish on most i have seen is really high standard. There was a period of time on TDPRI when people were absolutely raving about them... I think because of the realisation that you really could get a high quality tele for a reasonable price - one that competed ok with the American made models.

• Members
Wank, the Maestro is a decent budget axe, but I can't be sure how another model would play. I KNOW the SX/Douglas's are all pretty decent in general.

Yeah you right, at that price point it's really hard to top an SX or a Douglas. Never actually played a Douglas, but I have a friend that has an SX bass that he paid $100 new for and it's incredibly solid and playable. It's just a head scratcher how they can turn em out so cheap.

Willy wrote: Not completely 'budget', but relatively low cost for what you are getting: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (the 50s white one they first brought out). Honestly it has such a superb bridge pickup, which really comes pretty close to the CS ones Fender uses (I acutally preferred it, as it was more rounded, alnico III). Finish on most i have seen is really high standard. There was a period of time on TDPRI when people were absolutely raving about them... I think because of the realisation that you really could get a high quality tele for a reasonable price - one that competed ok with the American made models.

No that's actually the epitome of what I was originally going for: a guitar mass produced at a lower price point which competes well with the frontline guitar it substitutes for. Those are quality budget guitars for sure, hence all the buzz.

• Members

^Gorgeous Strat mang. I've played one of those side by side with American and MIM Strats and those things really hold their own. Resonant bodies, and some real organic chime. Sometimes I think they beat some contemporary MIMs. I'd have one to go with my Strat collection if they made one with a heftier neck.

Kramer Baretta Special. Super deal, less than 200.

Must be true cause I'd never even heard of those things till I started this thread.

Archived