Does anyone here NOT like Van Halen?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here NOT like Van Halen?

I updated my iPhone today and removed all Van Halen tracks from it.
    I think I have to say that I am just not a fan. Never really have been.
    I think the songs kill it for me. Like very few of them.

There's no denying Eddies influence on guitar playing, but even so, I still feel a bit 'meh' about it all.

Don't really care that much for it.

Anyone else not an avid VH fan?

when I was a kid (pre-Hagar), I liked them a lot. As I've gotten older, fallen out of favor with me. Will turn the station if I hear them on the radio. They don't offend me, but just not into it anymore.
    When all else fails,,,,,,,,,,,,twirl.

Originally Posted by newbie chick

My internet brilliance hinges on finding the critical balance point of pseudo-intelligence and snarky attitude.

Originally Posted by skippydmongoose

i like boobs. but after a little while, i'm ready to take the party downstairs

Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome

All my threads are 100% serious and life changing topics, I have no time for being funny.

My mom got me two albums for Christmas when I was a kid. Diver Down and Led Zeppelin IV. I don't care much for VH these days, but I'm still a fan of LZ. Led Zeppelin just seemed to speak to me musically.

Eventually I went on to purchase 1984 and their first self titled album. But after 1984 I lost interest. When Sammy joined up I thought their songs matured and were more enjoyable. But, these days, I don't really actively try to listen to them.

Not anymore

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

I don't like Dave's squeals in the songs and I didn't like the later stuff with Dave & lots of keyboards. The Van Hagar era does nothing for me. So, no, I'm not a big VH fan.

I have tons of respect for Eddie as a guitarist, both leads and rhythm.
            Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
            Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Great songs, but even with that i just could not get into them. The tread that fine line of of hard rock/pop music with some 80's glam way to close for me. There songs just seem to sound like they are geared for 14yr olds. Eddie was ok though, but Michael Anthony was the true monster in the band If you can find any of his bass tracks give them a listen
              2012 Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute Goldtop
              2011 Ibanez RG3550MZ Galaxy Black
              Marshall 78' JMP MKII 2204
              Peavey XXX 4x12 Slant
              Fulltone OCD
              MXR Chorus 3 Knob
              DOD Phasor 401
              MXR Carbon Copy
              Barber Tone Press
              Korg PitchBlack Tuner
              ToneBone Bigshot ABY/EFX
              MKS Pedal Pad II

I understand that music tastes are different for everyone, you dont dig em you dont dig em lol, **************** happens and it sounds like you at least respect him the band and body of work

That said the CD they put out 2 months ago is their best "work" in a longtime and eats up most of the Hagar era VH (which wasnt bad but ok imo) this recent CD just surprised me and kicks all kinds of ass imo. I was expecting a 5-6 or so (scale 1-10) and they gave me a solid 8 maybe a 9, its a KICKASS CD!

***Another USA Charvel SO-Cal Soon Tangerine 4 sale***
                ^^ Good deals with Glizard (ADA), electricdreams (Vetta) Fat Lou (Splawn) Tubesteakfortone (Marshall 3203, Riot pedal) agreed (Hafler-Radial) twisty571 (Mosvalve 962) Orbis Mortis (egnater) ~Abstract~ (JC amp) jn062181 (AXE - FX) ^^

PS -- I am the proud owner of the 1,000,000 post EVER on the HC amp forum 7/28/2006..

dlr era i am very much a fan. everything else no.
                  Originally Posted by Yarbicus

I love you.

Originally Posted by Yarbicus

I STILL love you!

Originally Posted by CountGrishnackh

I know that bag. I know it well. Liquor store pron. He ain't dead yet!

Official Traverser Reverbnation

Nope, sorry, huge fanboi here! Can't wait to see them Monday night!
                    Member of the Mesa/Boogie Mob m/m/

Uses & abuses: Mesa/Fender/Charvel/Jackson/Gibson/every pedal ever created.

Good deals: The Rossness, Laura the Valve Queen

Mustaine-Who? is a scammer, avoid this prick like the PLAGUE!

Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

So in conclusion, if you like ******************** then you like Strats. If you don't like Strats, it's because you secretly don't like ********************.

Originally Posted by NaturalBornBoy

Originally Posted by Murdoch

We like to think of it as you leaving a foot-wide trail of fishy-smelling sand wherever you go.

• jemmus
                      jemmus commented
                      Editing a comment

Never liked them, not even in high school when the first two albums were just out.  It was the vocals and lyrics.  Lyrics like written by a 14-year-old party with some partying and women fantasy.  Over the top vocals with no taste whatsoever.  And then it was Sammy Hagar and it just got worse. ; )

I like to listen to Eddie's guitar though.  If I could easily take the vocals, bass and drums out and just listen to his techniques, I'd do it.

P.S.  First time looking at the forums format.  Where's my cool avatar with Porter Wagoner in a J. Walter Nudie suit, sweating like a hog? 

Being a punk... I love when other punks talk **************** about EVH, so I can bust their balls... about how Eddie's playing was non-conformist, his guitar and gear ethos were DIY and lead to revolutionizing the industry, and knew how to make a Marshall go ballistic...

Other than that... Van Halen as a band, mostly suck...
                    Gear I use... Amps - Roc Pro, BF Bassman, 1959RI, Blackheart 5W... Speakers - G12T75, RWB + Man O War, Fender 75W, Z Matcher, Hot Plate... Pedals - Shredmaster, Tim, Swollen Pickle, YJM308, MXR M-86, Turbo Tuner, POG2, Buddy Guy Wah, Timmy, Zendrive, Whetstone, EVH Flanger, DD20, Starcaster Chorus, BYOC Tremolo, Cathedral, The Looker... Guitars - Epi LP and Dot Studio with .88 Tortex and D'Addario .10's Recording - Korg D3200, SM57 + $8 mics...

The new album is such a disappointment and i'm sick of the classic stuff. i moved on years ago anyway.

I really enjoy most of the Roth era stuff (except Diver Down). However, I don't really listen to it very often at all.
                        Guitars: USA Peavey Wolfgang, MIJ Ibanez SCA220, Squier Telecaster Custom, Taylor 110e
                        Amps: 1989 Peavey VTM60, 1969 Sunn Sceptre
                        Cabs Avatar Vintage 4x12 w/ WGS Green Berets, Basson Vertical Slant 2x12 w/ Eminence Legends
                        Pedals Korg Pitchblack, BBE Green Screamer, BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, MXR Carbon Copy, Line 6 Echo Park

Not really, no. Telephant beat me over the head with the latest album, so I feigned positivity so I didn't end up being sodomized the entire night by EVH and DLR, aka DPVH. But no, not really a fan.
                          -"Actual journalism? Isn't that when you don't commit crimes?"
                          -"Hell no, it's when we commit really good crimes."

never have, at all