Share Your Black Friday Purchases - I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

GAS Man

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is sweet doc. I saw that in your earlier thread and as I said then, it gives me SF envy.
:thu:

Thanks mang. :D I guess I'm just at that place in my life where the ordinary ducshbaggery gear from the big box stores doesn't pinch my fancy anymore. Although I will say that the $300ish Single Cut PRS SE kind of gives me wood. If I didn't already have a Strat modified with a couple of Gibby Classic '57s I would have bitten the big one. Trust me, this Strat rocks!

DSC_6705a1.jpg

• Members

Thanks mang.
:D
I guess I'm just at that place in my life where the ordinary ducshbaggery gear from the big box stores doesn't pinch my fancy anymore. Although I will say that the $300ish Single Cut PRS SE kind of gives me wood. If I didn't already have a Strat modified with a couple of Gibby Classic '57s I would have bitten the big one. Trust me, this Strat rocks!

Last year I went bat shit nuts on double cut PRS SE blowouts and actually bought 4 of the damned things in different colors and configurations. The idea was 3 different types of mods (and one, the absolute best one, went to my son, the Paul Allender - noticeably better sounding than the others with his custom wound p'ups)

So a year later, I'm still sitting on 3 PRS SEs that don't sound great without mods thinking now WTF did I do that for.

But even though they aren't tone monsters, they do seem well built and feel great.

Rockbridge and I were corresponding a bit on his mods and I don't think he ever got one to meet his hopes after at least a couple different pickup sets. Last he reported, he was going to sell if off to help fund his Gibby Tribute. Just comes back to me that I believe he thought in the end that stock with OD was the best solution. I definitely can see that utility.

So luckily I'm a bit "ho-hum" about the SE SCs this time around. But I completely understand the temptation.

But I think you need to get the P-90 bug going Mr. Strat man. ;)

• Members

So luckily I'm a bit "ho-hum" about the SE SCs this time around. But I completely understand the temptation.

But I think you need to get the P-90 bug going Mr. Strat man.
;)

I hear you and fully concur. There is temptation, but I will not yield this time.

As for the P-90 bug, I have to say that I've tried out a few P-90 guitars and have not been happy with them. I love the idea of P-90s, but have not been happy with owning them.

I think my next big project will be to carve up a Mexican Standard body, as I did with the Gibby Classic '57 project above, and place a couple of TV Jones Classics in humbucker mounts in it.

• Members

What's strapped around my neck right now if one of those newer GC Exclusive MIM Tele Std Silverbursts. Bought it last summer.

Point being, an edgie MIM Fender sound and the simple feel is still a cool draw for me.

This beeyatch though is far from braggin rights. I drove to a Seattle suburb, payed full GC MAP, and nasty-ass local sales tax, and it was all I could do to just squeeze a fresh set of strings off of them; plus this FSR didn't even come with a gigbag. :freak:

But I like this guitar. Lately it's my favorite tele in the house even with a '52 RI and American Deluxe held in reserve.

That's part of what I like about collecting guitars, it can be surprising and fun with which ones you end up bonding with. But usually it's a fickle affair. ;)

• Members

But I like this guitar. Lately it's my favorite tele in the house even with a '52 RI and American Deluxe held in reserve.

That's part of what I like about collecting guitars, it can be surprising and fun with which ones you end up bonding with. But usually it's a fickle affair.
;)

True. It doesn't always come down to the model or money spent. It's all about how it feels when you're playing it. And if it feels right, it's worth keeping and maybe tossing some better pickups in it.

As an example, I have an AVRI Jazzmaster that retails for over 1,800 smackers. However, I prefer playing my American Standard Strats over the Jazzy. To me the Standards just feel "right" and the necks are so forgiving. Heaven forbid I start looking into more expensive Strats. :facepalm:

• Members

Not even the same ballpark as the OP, but I ordered one of these from Sweetwater:

tech-21-blonde-460-80.jpg

It just happened that mine ended up being large, but I truly thought it'd be interesting to see what every one found even if they just pocketed a pick at GC.

I've been very curious about that series of pedals.

I'd love to know how that one turns out.

That one, the Liverpool and the British are the 3 I'd like to have a chance to demo. :thu:

• Members

strat.JPG

Total tits, man. There is just something I love about metalflake paint jobs and for some reason, those orange ones really get me.

I didn't do any shopping for Black Friday. My purchases were all done the day before Thanksgiving, when the real deals were to be had. As far as musician gear goes, I didn't see shit for Black Friday deals. The coupons all had exclusions that didn't cover anything already on sale, and the stuff on sale wasn't any big whoop. Sweetwater had some good deals, but that was on really high-end stuff I can't afford.

That was the suckiest Black Friday I've seen yet, especially with as much hype as they all put out there. I had so many emails from all of the big-name online music places, it almost triggered spam filters everywhere.

thhhhbpt.

• Members

Sweet, buttery love there, dude! I'm a huge fan of the LP Jr and other flat tops, especially those with P90s in them. What's the difference between that and a LP Jr? What does VOS stand for? Congrats on the new axe!

Well VOS is the easier question, that's Vintage Original Spec.

But what it also means is that they use an aging process on the metals and finishes to make them look like an aged, but well taken care of closet classic.

I have two other VOS guitars and for the most part I'd rather they didn't bother. It's nothing like the relic'ing you see on a lot of guitars, more subtle, but I don't particularly care for it. I'd rather just have a nice new finish, but Gibson is producing a lot of their Custom Shop guitars with the VOS treatment these days.

Here's that treatment on a '57m (note the wear on the gold HW and p'up rings)

DSC01965.jpg

Here's before I buffed out some of their fancy VOS treatment

DSC01956-1.jpg

I think about the only diff between an LP Special and Junior (as far as design goes) is two versus one pickup. Oh, and the pickguard design.

Here's one of of each from the Gibson standard production run line.

Junior and LP Special

You'll note the the LP Special below has the two piece bridge, but the two above have the single wrap around, so that's not the distinction. That had more to do with the year of the LP Special's designs.

Guitars013.jpg

_AjAp2fK-UKDfToRwA2b7g.JPG

What kind of man loves both of these guitars equally!!!! ... I am that man! :o

:D

Really sweet, Gas man!! Really Really sweet!

And Ellen, your new friend would play well with this friend o mine!

tele01.jpg

However. I am no slouch. I came away with one of these for $80

alesis_videotrack_all.jpg

Which led me immediately to do this :

[YOUTUBE]0yYLLydCTwI[/YOUTUBE]

And this:

[YOUTUBE]HWZDBkK2tBI[/YOUTUBE]

Now that's bang for your buck!!!!

• Members

Well VOS is the easier question, that's Vintage Original Spec.

But what it also means is that they use an aging process on the metals and finishes to make them look like an aged, but well taken care of closet classic.

{snip}

I think about the only diff between an LP Special and Junior (as far as design goes) is two versus one pickup. Oh, and the pickguard design.

Thank you for the info!

So VOS is a little like relicing, but without butchering the damned thing to hell. I can see scuffing up the hardware. Relatively easily done, from what I can see. Find a few slightly rusty screws for the trim rings, maybe, though.

I forgot about the differences between the LP Jr and the LP Special. Doh. The inlays are different, too.

• Members

Nice Gibby! Of their solid bodies, that's my favorite style.

I bought nothing yesterday...but I did buy myself a new git off craigslist last weekend. Been waiting for one of these to pop up used locally for about 9 months. I really like it...and that's from an owner of some vintage Gretsches and someone who has had a couple of the newer pro-line models. Only mods so far are a bar bridge and a penny under the Bigsby spring. First band practice with it in 4 hours...when we shall see what she's really made of:

594755.jpg

• Members

I went out after all the crazies went home. Had a pocket full of money, but I couldn't find a single thing to spend it on. Funny thing is, a lot of the sales that were the "early bird" specials were still hanging around by the time we got there at 4 or 5pm.. The only thing I saw yesterday that I liked was the Nook Color at Barnes & Noble. Been looking for a tablet/reader, and I think that's gonna be the one I get.

• Members

I went out after all the crazies went home. Had a pocket full of money, but I couldn't find a single thing to spend it on. Funny thing is, a lot of the sales that were the "early bird" specials were still hanging around by the time we got there at 4 or 5pm.. The only thing I saw yesterday that I liked was the Nook Color at Barnes & Noble. Been looking for a tablet/reader, and I think that's gonna be the one I get.

OT, why the nook over the Kindle? Yes, I'm researching for my "list". Books are heavy!

Archived