Share Your Black Friday Purchases - I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

GAS Man

• Members

Gibson Custom 1960 Les Paul Special Single Cutaway (TV Yellow) (Historic not VOS)

2996.t.gif

418219.jpg

418221.jpg

Got it from GuitarTrader.com

Got a good "Black Friday" deal on it, I gave them 16 bills and they gave me a penny back. I figured that's like a good price even if it were used. But they said it was "new in box". It's now a "discontinued" model, however, since the VOS are taking over the world. I was surprised I got it though because I'm pretty sure they just had the one and I slept on it before pulling the trigger yesterday morning. But yes, it still counts as a BF deal since that's how it was advertised. And I only had to trample one person to get to it. Had to pull the missus off the PC.

Yours?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sadly, I didn't get squat. I went to compusa and best buy looking for a good deal on a bluray player with built in wireless and netflix. None to be found.

After that, I thought about going to GC but decided against it knowing I'd just be disappointed. Stayed home searching for stuff online, found the myprice deal at sameday, called them up, they didn't accept my offer on an EHX hum debugger. Called MF, they wouldn't even take a single dollar off the price.

Said {censored} it, picked up my guitar and kept working on learning black betty!

That was my black friday.

Oh, and I submitted an online price match to M123 and they ignored it.

• Members

I went to compusa and best buy looking for a good deal on a bluray player with built in wireless and netflix. None to be found.

Stayed home searching for stuff online, found the myprice deal at sameday, called them up, they didn't accept my offer on an EHX hum debugger. Called MF, they wouldn't even take a single dollar off the price.

Said fuck it, picked up my guitar and kept working on learning black betty!

That was my black friday.

Oh, and I submitted an online price match to M123 and they ignored it.

My actual day today wasn't that great either. Started off with killer heart burn (Turkey stuffing's revenge), eventually made it outside to put a wind ravaged tarp back over my boat, had an eggnog to take more stomach meds with, showered to get warmed up, went on line to look for a deal on a "Kindle" for the missus, looked on line for new boat covers, wandered over here. :rolleyes:

But I thinking about that EHX Hum Debugger too after a thread here yesterday. I thought I might just call my salesman at Sweetwater sometime down the road and see what they'll do for me. They usually at least knock off 10% without batting an eye. That and their 110% gift certificates would get you 20% off.

Let me know if you find a great deal on a Kindle ;)

Oh yeah, and M123 has been ignoring the shit out of me too. I've had them take so long to get back to me that by the time they look at the url they've requested, it's no longer valid. Guess you've got to call, but I don't enjoy that. They're always trying to sell me some french fries with that.

• Members

This should be a short thread. I saw absolutely nothing to buy, and I was looking to spend some money on something.

Sad day as far as guitar sales go...

YMMV I guess.

Except that one I grabbed, that's pretty much was I was thinking too. Like "where's the 20% off coopins?"

I did hear something on the news that a lot of retail businesses were going to keep lower inventories to avoid being stuck holding the bag. With less inventory on hand, less blow outs. That thing I grabbed was basically a lost leader. I've bought from them before and found the guitars to arrive not in the original packing and with some obvious display wear, but nothing major. But they said this one was still in the box. :idk:

• Members

I'm getting my turd polish turdpolishSM.png ready for one of these.

721365.jpg

I'll throw a alnico P90 clone in the bridge and replace the middle and neck with a pair of alnico Mighty Mites. The pickups are currently sitting in the basement. It'll give me some setup practice and a Stratish guitar to abuse. I'll play it until I get tired of it. When I'm done, I'll put the stock electronics in it and donate it.

• Members

My actual day today wasn't that great either. Started off with killer heart burn (Turkey stuffing's revenge), eventually made it outside to put a wind ravaged tarp back over my boat, had an eggnog to take more stomach meds with, showered to get warmed up, went on line to look for a deal on a "Kindle" for the missus, looked on line for new boat covers, wandered over here.
:rolleyes:

But I thinking about that EHX Hum Debugger too after a thread here yesterday. I thought I might just call my salesman at Sweetwater sometime down the road and see what they'll do for me. They usually at least knock off 10% without batting an eye. That and their 110% gift certificates would get you 20% off.

Let me know if you find a great deal on a Kindle
;)

Oh yeah, and M123 has been ignoring the shit out of me too. I've had them take so long to get back to me that by the time they look at the url they've requested, it's no longer valid. Guess you've got to call, but I don't enjoy that. They're always trying to sell me some french fries with that.

yeah, I'm loving my 50s tribute LP but I need to kill the hum at gigs and from everything I've seen and read, the EHX hum debugger is probably the best bet short of getting no-hum P90s for it, but then I'd have to get new pickups for my strat and tele too. With the hum debugger I'd be able to finally use all my single coil guitars at gigs without having to replace all the pickups.

Like you I'm also looking for a kindle. When I walked into best buy, they had a bunch in one of those cardboard "sale" bins they have by the doors and by the registers. I walked over thinking "holy shit, cool, an actual sale on kindles. I can finally buy one." Saw the price from far away and it said 139.00. and had a big red SALE sign on it. I figured since it was on sale, it was probably the wifi+3G one that's usually 189.00. Was ready to grab it until I picked it up and saw that it was the regular wifi model, no 3G, and 139 is the regular price. WTF is it with these stores? Lately a lot of them are selling shit at regular price and trying to make you think it's a sale price!!!

I saw a million other items like that. They were marked "sale" and sitting in bins or stacked up in the middle of the aisles, but every single one that I checked was at regular price and some were even more expensive than usual.

Some black friday... :facepalm::mad::cry:

I'd call sweetwater about the debugger but I've never had good luck with them. I've placed a few orders with them and not a single one has shipped in a timely manner. They are always my last choice and last resort. If I can't find a decent deal on the debugger anywhere else, I might just have to bite the bullet and give them a call.

• Members

Gibson Custom 1960 Les Paul Special Single Cutaway (TV Yellow) (Historic not VOS)

2996.t.gif
418219.jpg
418221.jpg

Got it from GuitarTrader.com

Got a good "Black Friday" deal on it, I gave them 16 bills and they gave me a penny back. I figured that's like a good price even if it were used. But they said it was "new in box". It's now a "discontinued" model, however, since the VOS are taking over the world. I was surprised I got it though because I'm pretty sure they just had the one and I slept on it before pulling the trigger yesterday morning. But yes, it still counts as a BF deal since that's how it was advertised. And I only had to trample one person to get to it. Had to pull the missus off the PC.

Yours?

Dang! That thing is nice. HBFNGD!

• Members

(1) 10 packs of strings for $20.

(2) replacement wang bar for my standard strat for $10.

That was it. I almost got 3 packs of strings at Best Buy for $10 but opted not to when the line to the checkout was eons long I didn't bother, I have enough strings.

I bought this a week and a half ago or so, maybe that counts as "early black friday" guitar:

strat.JPG

• Members

yeah, I'm loving my 50s tribute LP but I need to kill the hum at gigs and from everything I've seen and read, the
EHX hum debugger is probably the best bet short of getting no-hum P90s for it,
but then I'd have to get new pickups for my strat and tele too. With the hum debugger I'd be able to finally use all my single coil guitars at gigs without having to replace all the pickups....

I'm telling you wherever you get it from just make sure that they have a good return policy. I had one and absolutely thought that it sucked. The ISP Decimator is better even though I still didn't care for it that much. It didn't color the sound like the EHX did. It was like having a phase 90 turned on half the time.

Hope it works out better for you than it did for me.

And to stay on topic, I didn't even bother going out. I got my replacement pickup for my N4 in today so it was pretty much spent jamming...and cleaning up the mess downstairs from basically rebuilding this thing.

• Members

Made my extravagant purchase Wednesday:

EXL110W.jpg
Dropped a fiver and got a penny back. BEAT THAT GAS man!
:eek::lol:

Man, I think you went all out there. :thu:

Yesterday I was eying that MF deal for D'Addarios for four large PLUS a penny for a 10 pack, but since I don't use 9-42s as much as 10-46 I hesitated. Wish I could just follow my heart like you and get what I want in gauge, but that $4.01 deal is still calling me.

My wife is now jealous of your wife's mocha. :mad:

• Members

(

I bought this a week and a half ago or so, maybe that counts as "early black friday" guitar:

Yeah, I remember that. Sweet. You may recall that I was encouraging that one as my son had sent me a link to that one several months ago when Sweetwater had them. It was a GAS provoker for him and I could see the draw. Unique looking guitar. :thu:

• Members

btw, HNGD!!!! That's awesome!!

Thanks, the devil and $1200 off MAP made me do it.

movie-jerry-maguire-31826603-photo-15.jp

"You had me at 43% off MAP."

That's the second best discount I've ever got. The best discount I ever got was a Parker Fly Classic for $1100. OTOH, I never bonded with that guitar except for its piezo acoustic sim.

• Members

Nah, I already got my Black Friday special - on Tuesday night, at Music Go Round. A 2005 Squier Bullet Special for $60 (price included tax). Some cheap thrills ala a LP Jr. Single pickup guitars can be a lot of fun!
:D

_AjAp2fK-UKDfToRwA2b7g.JPG

I know you'll make that $60 sound like $600 :thu:

• Members

Dam Gas Man!

I ordered a Egnater Tweaker head from MF.

Hearing good things about those heads.

I've long had this desire for a TV Yellow LP Special, so this was a crazy moment for me.

Proof will be when it shows up. I have a weird, "will believe it when I see it" feeling about this one.

The crazy odd thing (shoot me now) is I very recently bought a VOS LP special used. Those guitars retail for $300 less, and I got it for just $100 less in a used condition (although in very good shape) than this new one above. My camera is down right now (Medic!!) but here's a pic of it that I captured from the ebay seller.

NAMM.jpg

Him not me. He played it at the '09 NAMM jam. Hard to tell from the pic, but it's a translucent finish much like a Mary Kay Strat.

So they will be a bit diff, one being VOS and one being Historic, but as you can imagine, I'm especially looking forward to analyzing the tone of TV Yellow versus VOS white.

P.S. At least the VOS has a neck like a Louisville Slugger, but I'm quickly getting comfortable with it. My level of playing skill :rolleyes:, allows me to adapt quickly. :lol:

• Members

I didn't exactly find a good Black Friday deal, but while searching in vain for the aforementioned GBFD I came across a refurb Vox AC4TV combo amp for $169; they normally sell for $250. Even if I get the cab, the total will be under the normal $350 the head/cab stack sell for, plus I get the flexibility of having a combo amp.

Archived