Would you pay a $5 cover charge....

fu2jobu

• Members

To see band, you didn't know, in a place that looks like it might have 15 people tops inside? The "parking lot" had about 15 total spaces (without snow they might have 20), 7 or so of which were probably taken up by the band members, bartenders and cook(s).

P.S. This is in the burbs where small to medium bars almost never have cover charges.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't have minded paying the cover if it was a decent size place or it as close to the city. A cover charge to get in a small place here in the burbs seems a little over the top. I suppose if it was $2-$3 I woulda just frowned and payed up, for some reason $5 made me turn around and leave.

• Members

Having been a working musician, I would probably have paid the $5. $5 is the cost of one beer plus a tip - I'm glad to support other working musicians. I don't understand why musicians complain that there aren't more places to play and that they have to "pay to play" and all of that, but won't pony up a couple of bucks for a working band. Now, this also depends on several factors as to my plans that night...

• Members

Depends on a lot of things, but $5 is nothing in this day in age to be entertained for a little while. If you didn't feel like being entertained or knew that the band sucked, by all means, find another bar. But, if you just felt entitled to be there for free because it's a neighborhood bar or there aren't a lot of people there, then that's kinda messed up, you assumedly being a musician and all.

• Members

That sounds like a weak show but $5 is barely anything. You might as well pay it if you're even considering it. I think it's funny you're willing to go $2 or $3 but for some reason FIVE is outlandish. Huh?? As everyone stated above, you'll pay that much for a beer. If you've even left the house, you're going to be spending moolah no matter what.

Also, consider what BryanMichael said above. If they wind up being a good band, it's good to give them a hand. I wouldn't regret that fiver.

• Members

Sure I would. Even if the band stunk it still might be fun. Sometimes I enjoy a good crappy band.

On the other hand, though I've never done quite what you've mentioned there have been nights when my wife and I have stumbled into some joint in lower Manhattan, paid a ten buck cover to see a bunch of unknown bands and been blown away by the talent. There's a lot of good stuff out there if you take the time to look around.

• Members

No. Unless I'm specifically going to see a particular band, I walk away from a bar if there's a band playing AT ALL.

If I'm not going to see a specific band, the objective to hang out with my friends- it's difficult to have a conversation with some band blasting away in the background. Besides, no cover band on earth is going to hold my interest and the chances of a random original band being any good are slim to none. Give me a good jukebox though (preferably with 45s), and I'll stay all night.

• Members

I was gonna multi-quote, but I'm with most - pay the $5.

Back in the day (we're talking '88-90), I worked as a weekend DJ in an area "club" that would host some live bands. Most were really good and established bands that did the Chicago and/or Midwest club circuit. Even then, though, people that would approach the place would hold their nose at a $3 cover charge, even though they were most likely to spend $50 on drinks :rolleyes:. IIRC, the bar just stopped charging cover to keep the people flowing in, and the bar would just pay the band a guaranteed flat fee (which worked most of the time ;)).

• Members

OH MY SWEET CHRIST that was painful. This is like something from a Christopher Guest movie.

I'm willing to bet this band did NOT charge a cover, which is a good indication of the kinds of music you'll get to see live if the maximum amount of money you're willing to pay is nothing.

• Members

$5 and you are bitching about, pay and see the band, support the scene. Hell, cover in my neck of the woods has shot up to between $5 and $10 and most venues are charging $7 or $8 it seems which is a strange number. That's good clubs and bad clubs. I don't go out to see random bands anymore though, hell, I'm 45 years old lol and I don't drink. I do go see friends bands from time to time and of course when I gig I'm at a club. Its tough to get people out to clubs at $10 a head and none of the clubs in my area are what I'd call destination bars like we had in the 80s in 90s, the places you'd go to just to be at the club, didn't matter who was playing because you always had a kick ass band on stage (like Pantera, Rigor Mortis, Gammacide, Rotting Corpse, etc).

I will say that one of the best turnouts my band had over the past year was at a venue that had no cover, people were coming and going all night long and most were drinking, was a fun time - cops were even called out to the place. Once we got past the two {censored}ty opening bands, the rest of the night was stellar (I think 4 more bands played, show started at like 7pm!)

Archived