New Gibson LP Goldtop w/P90's, $849!

docjeffrey

• Members

Someone who ordered a goldtop from AMS just posted this on the Gibson Forum:

"American Musical just now, 1120 AM 15 June 2010, cancelled my pre-order stating that the product was no longer available from the manufacturer. Wonder what that's all about. "

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"American Musical just now, 1120 AM 15 June 2010, cancelled my pre-order stating that the product was no longer available from the manufacturer. Wonder what that's all about. "

NOT GOOD!

I have this information:

I have heard from a reliable source, that GC was promised 30 Gold tops TOTAL.. not sure of the quantities of the other finishes, but looks like getting a GT is going to be hard... Should I dare to say that getting this model would be hard...

only time will tell...

Omar :thu:

• Members
I just noticed on GC page that all finishes will be available on 8/31/10 but the GOLD TOP will become available (due in stock) in 2-4 weeks????
:idk:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-1950s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar-430789-i1538506.gc

I placed my Goldtop order with Musicians Friend, and their site has been updated to say the same thing as GC...Goldtops available in 2-4 weeks, all other finishes on 8/31.

To add to the confusion, the $849 hold on my bank account since I placed my order was gone today. Almost as though they cancelled my preorder. But I have received no email from MF and it looks as though you can still place a preorder for Goldtops. Guess we will see.

• Members
I just noticed on GC page that all finishes will be available on 8/31/10 but the GOLD TOP will become available (due in stock) in 2-4 weeks????
:idk:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-1950s-Tribute-Electric-Guitar-430789-i1538506.gc

That is what it says on MF website too. I have a goldtop on order with Amazon and the delivery estimate is July 9, 2010 - August 12, 2010 so that would be in line with the GC and MF dates. I read somewhere else that Gibson would make the first shipment on 6/29. Don't know if there is truth to any of this.

• Members

Read this on another forum today:

"If you are ordering the godtop, prepare to wait till Christmas. There is a so much backorder for the goldtop and not enough to fulfill the first three shipments. Before you order, I suggest calling first and ask how many orders had been placed before yours and how many are they expected to receive."

• Moderators

Read this on another forum today:

"If you are ordering the godtop, prepare to wait till Christmas. There is a so much backorder for the goldtop and not enough to fulfill the first three shipments. Before you order, I suggest calling first and ask how many orders had been placed before yours and how many are they expected to receive."

I'm second on Andertons list, and they reckon to be about the first to get stock, so fingers crossed

• Members

They canceled my original order, too, but then replaced it with another order...status is showing "backordered" on the replacement.

• Members

Got a backorder notice from MF today

"Thank you for your recent order #S0264****

We are temporarily out of stock on the item(s) noted below, but have more on order with the manufacturer. We will ship them to you as soon as we receive them. We sincerely appreciate your patience."

• Members

I thought this may be of interest to some, especially those who ordered from Musician's Friend like I did. The following is what I wrote to MF Customer Service earlier today:

I placed an order for a Gibson Les Paul Studio 1950's Tribute with a Goldtop finish on June 12, 2010 with an order number #S0XXXXXXX. This item was listed as backordered and expected to arrive on 8/31/10 when I placed the order. I now see that the expected arrival date for the Goldtops has been updated to arrive in 2-4 weeks, while all other finishes of this model still say 8/31/10.

I am simply curious as to the accuracy of this information. Are the goldtops indeed expected to arrive sooner than the original August date? Also, is there any way to know how many other people are in line before me?

Also, after I initially placed my order, an $849 hold was placed on my bank account for the price of the guitar. However, it was updated recently and there is no longer the hold on my bank account. I am hoping this doesn't imply that my order was cancelled. I have received no other information that suggests this is the case.

Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.

And here is what they wrote back (kudos to MF for such a speedy reply):

Thank you for your recent inquiry. The Worn Gold Top finish is currently expected on 8/31/2010 as well, so I'm not sure why the website says otherwise. We apologize for the confusion. When it is received into our warehouse from the manufacturer it will be automatically shipped out to you.

Please note: Backorder dates are based on the individual manufacturer's estimated delivery date to us and are subject to change without notice. We are in continual contact with the manufacturers and ship backordered items as soon as possible. However, there are unforeseen circumstances that delay items. We update our information as soon as we are notified by the manufacturer. Please be assured that we are working hard to fulfill your order pending receipt of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Unfortunately we are unable to track your exact position in the backorder, but it is definitely still active for you. Please feel free to contact us if you have any more questions or concerns.

• Members

I have a really nice honeyburst with nice figuring in the maple, but I don't think I could part with it for any reasonable amount right now. It's my favorite guitar out of the 10 I own, and there's only like 60 of these things in the world right now. I saw one for 1200 with a hardshell case on ebay, and I know I definitely wouldn't part with mine for that. If I really thought Gibson was gonna make good on the rest of production I would be tempted to sell mine at a profit and preorder 2 more, but I can remember Gibson abandoning guitars in the past as circumstance dictated, anyone remember the Dark Fire? I think they will be hard pressed to make all the Sg Standards, Les Paul Standards and Studios, etc. to get around to this one. Especially when one considers the amount of markup they get on those guitars versus this $800 value of the century.

• Members

Well, I have {censored}ty cell phone pics, but I don't know that it's worth the trouble of posting them here. Too bad there is no upload picture option here, it is sad that even craigslist has this place beat there.

Not too hard to get a photobucket account (free)... That's what I use for my posted pics, and it works great. Also allows you to set up albums that you can share by sending out the URL.

• Members
Well, I have {censored}ty cell phone pics
, but I don't know that it's worth the trouble of posting them here. Too bad there is no upload picture option here, it is sad that even craigslist has this place beat there.

funny, thats the standard CL line for not posting pics as well. :lol:

to the other guy posting - i have one of each on the way. will keep you in mind if i decide to sell. will prolly route for hb's though.....

• Members

Nah, I post {censored}ty cell phone pics on cl all the time, I just object to having to jump through hoops to do it here. It makes me a little sad to know you are already planning on mutilating one of these. The P-90's sound so good as is, it really doesn't need the buckers. But hey, while it will bring the value of yours down, if enough people do it the value of the remaining guitars should start to rise. And at $800 brand new it's not like you're defacing Lucille or something, but still......

• Members
Nah, I post {censored}ty cell phone pics on cl all the time, I just object to having to jump through hoops to do it here. It makes me a little sad to know you are already planning on mutilating one of these. The P-90's sound so good as is, it really doesn't need the buckers. But hey, while it will bring the value of yours down, if enough people do it the value of the remaining guitars should start to rise. And at $800 brand new it's not like you're defacing Lucille or something, but still......

its not like this LP studio will ever pay my kids tuition. that said, i paid well under $800 for each. :thu:

why be sad if i re-route my guitar and transform it to my own signature guitar
? i dig the PAF sound more than the P90 sound. kinda like tom scholz - he routed a bridge hb in his vintage goldtop. :poke: and the matching shaw RI PAFs i will be putting in mine are worth more to me than the guitar itself.

the nashville bridge may get swapped out as well.

• Members

This was posted on another forum today:

" Well, here is some news. I talked to a Gibson rep today and he said that as of last night the Honeyburst was sold out.

The Goldtop sold out first, now the Honeyburst and Cherry Sunburst will probably be next.

Oh, by the way things are getting back on track and orders are actually shipping as we speak (or type!).

I forgot to ask him if they may continue the run, but he did say Gibson was very pleased with the reception this guitar has received, so we'll have to wait and see. "

• Members

This was posted on another forum today:

" Well, here is some news. I talked to a Gibson rep today and he said that as of last night the Honeyburst was sold out.

The Goldtop sold out first, now the Honeyburst and Cherry Sunburst will probably be next.

Oh, by the way things are getting back on track and orders are actually shipping as we speak (or type!).

I forgot to ask him if they may continue the run, but he did say Gibson was very pleased with the reception this guitar has received, so we'll have to wait and see. "

Hmmm. The guitars seem to be selling out on the basis of colour. That doesn't bode well for the quality of music they may be producing (admittedly, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but you know what I mean).

Archived