New Gibson LP Goldtop w/P90's, $849!

docjeffrey

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I owned an original for awhile back in the late 60s, wasnt a gold top though. The only gold top I had was a 70s deluxe.

Dont like the idea that its a chambered body and unbound neck. I do prefer P100's or minis myself but its not bad for the price. Coughing up a few grand isnt easy these days. Mine has gone up about $1400 in value in 18 years. Thats why a decent paul is a good investment. it either retains or increases in value. There arent many guitars that can do that no matter how much they age.

• Members

No PAFs = Not the guitar for me, but I'm very happy for you P90 lovers.

Sadly, anything that resembles the '59 still costs about the same as a black-market kidney.

You'd be surprised how much like a 'bucker equipped Les Paul the P90 versions sound. In most instances, it's hard to distinguish the two. They both sound like Les Pauls--darkish, huge tone, especially through a good Marshall. The main tonal differences start to show up when the power amp tubes get good and loose. The P90's have a rawer, less creamy edge to them, but you can work the tone controls to make them sound very, very close to PAF-style pickups. When you plug in a good P90 LP, there is no doubt whatsoever that you are playing a Les Paul.

• Members

From a marketing perspective, why are they releasing a low priced model that will eat into their higher-end revenue? Does this mean that they've realized that their standard line costs too damn much?

ALso, I think it's funny that their 50's tribute model is chambered:)

Yeah, I want one too, but I iwsh it had a wrap-around bridge.

• Members

I was reading the description on Anderton's. It looks like these are PLEK'D. This may be old news, but I wasn't aware that it was when I ordered one. If this is true that makes this an amazing deal.

My impression from the Gibson site was that only the nut slots were cut w/ the plek.

• Members

You'd be surprised how much like a 'bucker equipped Les Paul the P90 versions sound. In most instances, it's hard to distinguish the two. They both sound like Les Pauls--darkish, huge tone, especially through a good Marshall. The main tonal differences start to show up when the power amp tubes get good and loose. The P90's have a rawer, less creamy edge to them, but you can work the tone controls to make them sound very, very close to PAF-style pickups. When you plug in a good P90 LP, there is no doubt whatsoever that you are playing a Les Paul.

This helps me a lot, as to which type of LP to get. If I can only have one, will I be satisfied with a P-90 LP vs. a humbucker LP. I've been thinking about the Ep LP Tribute too, very nice feature set. but something about owning an actual Gibson is appealing (provided it's a good instrument of course). The goldtop or honeyburst sure look nice to me. I'm going to have to sell my Taylor DN3 to afford this, but I think it's worth it.

• Moderators

The goldtop or honeyburst sure look nice to me. I'm going to have to sell my Taylor DN3 to afford this, but I think it's worth it.

I have a Gold'un ordered, but I think I'm gonna sell a few bits of stuff and get a honeyburst as well and either stick some minis in or just rout it for full size buckers

Too sweet to miss these

LPST5WHCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

• Members

From a marketing perspective, why are they releasing a low priced model that will eat into their higher-end revenue?

I think it's because they know that people who insist on the "real deal" are still going to shell out for the standard model, and it was a noticeable gap in their price range.

I think I'm going to stick with my '06 LP Goddess, though. Playing it makes me all happy on the inside.

:love:

• Members

Betcha there'll be {censored} all, as it's missing some of the key stuff that Gibson falls over on sometimes, same way as no one bitched about the QC on the BFG

Plus there's no class-envy factor when the guitar costs less than a US Fender. Half the point of Gibson hate is the mockery of rich assholes who keep their guitar under glass, lit by the sunlight from their enormous bay windows.

• Members

Apparently only 60 made it out of the factory before the flood. Which makes me that much more thrilled I bought a honeyburst one, even though I really couldn't afford it at the time. It was manufactured april 29th. They weren't even supposed to be on the market until June, but I bought mine 3 weeks ago, and had seen a gold top one a week before that. Mine outperforms my 94 studio(wine red gold hardware ebony board) in every way. It just looks and sounds better. The orange drops are a nice touch. I don't see how Gibson can continue to charge twice as much for the standard when everyone knows they can make the essentially same guitar for this price. Mine was $799.Yes, 799!!!!! Mine has nice figuring on the maple and when I get home tomorrow I will see if my girlfriend has a digi cam so I can show you guys the sexiness that is the 50s tribute lester. My question to you guys who have preordered one, do you have a lot of confidence that gibson will get around to finishing this run when there are reports of impending gibson shortages nationwide due to the flood? Seems they will be hard pressed just to fill the orders on the very essential guitars in the line, for instance the LP and SG standards, along with the V and Explorer, and the regular LP studio too. I did see one on ebay(it doesn't look as sexy as mine) for 1200 with a nicer tkl case than the gig bag that comes with them normally. Gibsons don't belong in gig bags by the way.

• Members

OK...

I want one...

BUT, Can I get one?

I called GC and my regular salesman told me that they WILL NOT get any of those guitars. His Gibson rep told him also that they do not have enough to go around and they are not ready for building (due to the flood)...

Sweetwater sales engineer told me similar... although they are accepting orders, they do not think they'll be able to get enough to fulfill orders... and they may get them late 2010, IF they even get them... again, due to the flood.

My question is:

WHY IN THE WORLD would Gibson start a campaign on a guitar that IT IS NOT GOING TO BE AVAILABLE???? or are my GC and Sweetwater guys way off and misinformed? and I should place an order regardless?

:idk:

Omar :thu:

• Members

Just beware, all of these faded guitars will easily relic with no finish and the the finish will rub off where your arm rests, especially if you play a lot and live and sweaty. I don't care and my other 2 faded style Gibsons have done that - looks cool as hell. I plan on getting one of these.

• Members

Will we ever really see them? Omar at MLPF posted this:

"OK...

I want one...

BUT, Can I get one?

I called GC and my regular salesman told me that they WILL NOT get any of those guitars. His Gibson rep told him also that they do not have enough to go around and they are not ready for building (due to the flood)...

Sweetwater sales engineer told me similar... although they are accepting orders, they do not think they'll be able to get enough to fulfill orders... and they may get them late 2010, IF they even get them... again, due to the flood.

My question is:

WHY IN THE WORLD would Gibson start a campaign on a guitar that IT IS NOT GOING TO BE AVAILABLE???? or are my GC and Sweetwater guys way off and misinformed? and I should place an order regardless?

Omar "

Archived