What's up with all the EVH lovers here? To me he is just a glorified tap guitarist.

billybilly

• Members

There is no way the first clip is faked, just not possible.

Not true. Check out the very end of the clip when the band comes in. The overdub stops as the band comes out. Watch when Eddie steps next to the drum kit and the guitar fretboard is facing the camera. At that moment, Ed's playing is completely lucid and sober. The sound there doesn't match the rest of the clip and neither does the playing. So, what's the answer? Did caffeine suddenly kick in and make him sober at that moment? I doubt it. The rest of the video was overdubbed.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't disagree with others' comments regarding Eddie's chops taking a major nose dive over the years, but believe me, that first video is fake, and not an especially good one.

Perhaps you can break down for me why you think the the audio in the 1st clip of the O.P. is fake. I've watched a bunch of these "Shreds" videos since they started showing up on Youtube a few years ago. The best ones parody the guitarist by having a lot of bum note, clams and really bad tone or put the clip into a completely different musical genre like the jazzed up Metallica clip. They're painfully obvious.

IMO the guitar simply isn't awful or funny enough to be a spoof. EVH's solo spot on a bad night maybe. Again to me it's just a bad cam or cell phone vid with rotten audio of an off night. That's my take on it anyway.

• Members

Perhaps you can break down for me why you think the the audio in the 1st clip of the O.P is fake. I've watched a bunch of these "Shreds" videos since they started showing up on Youtube a few years ago. The best ones parody the guitarist by having a lot of bum note, clams and really bad tone or put the clip into a completely different musical genre like the jazzed up Metallica clip. They're painfully obvious.

IMO the guitar simply isn't awful or funny enough to be a spoof. EVH solo spot on a bad night maybe. Again to me it's just a bad cam or cell phone vid with rotten audio of an off night. That's my take on it anyway.

No. BillyBilly overdubbed that first video doing his best to get it right. But, he's too embarrassed to own up to it now.

• Members

Perhaps you can break down for me why you think the the audio in the 1st clip of the O.P. is fake. IMO the guitar simply isn't awful or funny enough to be a spoof.

I wouldn't bother to waste that much time proving something so painfully obvious to you. Suffice it to say that a) there are sounds emanating from the guitar that his hands aren't in the right places to make, and b) no matter how badly played, Eddie's gear doesn't sound at all like that.

And yes, it was certainly awful enough to be a spoof.

• Members

Eddie changed the way people played guitar up till then, just likeJ imi before him...is he the most technically talented guitar player ever..not by a long shot, but an original...and yes he cam play his ass off...forget about the soloing, listen to the rhythm on "Mean Street".....or any other rhythm part on the first 3 albums.....

• Members

Saying that the only thing that made EVH stand out was tapping is like saying that the only thing that Hendrix did was light his guitar on fire. EVH blazed onto the scene doing stuff with vibrato bar that was never heard by most people, he also broke away from blues leads and started doing those weird scales and using just tuning. He may not have been the first guitarist to do all this stuff but he was the first to apply them to dumb-ass catchy pop tunes, with a super high energy live show. You might argue that Jeff Beck did all this technical stuff first, but you're missing the point.

I don't know how old you are but in the late 70's and early 80's when Van Halen first became popular, most people were either doing punk stuff or trying to sound like a mix of Keith Richards and Jimmy Page. Then Van Halen came along and he was like {censored}in' Godzilla tearing up the real estate. I remember sitting in Electric Lady Studios doing my first album in 1983 and feeling the shadow EVH and other wang bar guys like Steve Stevens towering over my crappy punk chops. Like I said before, he never really appealed to me much, those California hair tunes just ain't my cup o tea, but I'll argue with anyone who says that he wasn't special.

I am 47 and while I do think EVH was a great guitar player back then, I just don't agree with your original statement that he was doing things that no one had ever done before. That is a pretty big statement and I don't think you can back it up personally.... You have kind of changed that now to things most people never heard or done... That is a lot different from doing things no one ever did before... And there is no one more proficient with whammy bar then Jeff Beck...

• Members

IDK, to me saying that EVH is just a glorified tapper is like saying the Sun is just a glorified lightbulb. I realize that might be a bit of a grandiose analogy and that the OP is just trolling big time, but BOTH do so much more...

• Members

Not true. Check out the very end of the clip when the band comes in. The overdub stops as the band comes out. Watch when Eddie steps next to the drum kit and the guitar fretboard is facing the camera. At that moment, Ed's playing is completely lucid and sober. The sound there doesn't match the rest of the clip and neither does the playing. So, what's the answer? Did caffeine suddenly kick in and make him sober at that moment? I doubt it. The rest of the video was overdubbed.

You're probably right, I'll have to watch it again when I get home. Judging clips at work where the volume is at 1% probably is not the best thing.

• Members

I'm not an EVH fan at all. I don't listen to him, don't own any of his records or play any of his songs. There's hundreds of guitarists and bands I'd rather listen to than EVH, and I don't find his music good to listen to. Not my style at all.

But regardless, I still recognize he had/has excellent skills and was a huge influence on rock and other music. So if people want to listen to the guy and be influenced by him, they can go ahead. Doesn't bother me.

Only thing that bothers me about EVH is when some fans say stuff like he's better than Hendrix or Page or Clapton etc... I don't believe in ranking or judging guitarists or anything like that. But if I did, EVH would not be high on my list. :p

• Members

I wouldn't bother to waste that much time proving something so painfully obvious to you. Suffice it to say that a) there are sounds emanating from the guitar that his hands aren't in the right places to make, and b) no matter how badly played, Eddie's gear doesn't sound at all like that.

And yes, it was certainly awful enough to be a spoof.

Geez...I wasn't asking you prove anything. I wasn't even asking you to back up your opinion. I simply was curious as to why you believed it was faked. I watched the same video and came away with a different opinion that's all. If the clip was professionally shot like the 2nd clip I could see someone making the effort to spoof it since would be easier to synchronize the new audio to the hand movements. That clips already a mess. Why bother? It's not like it's of a decent quality to begin with. The poor audio would pretty much obliterate any tone factor provided by whatever gear he used on stage anyway. Again, my take on it. My opinion. I'm not here to instigate a debate on opinions. I asked a simple question....that's all.

• Members

I'll soften my position:

I think that, maybe, the first OP video was dubbed in the spots where the full band is absent. Why? The crowd noise sounds different in those spots. Each time Alex comes in on the drums, Ed plays better. So, I think the moments with Alex on drums are the real Ed and the other are clever overdubs. It just doesn't seem to add up.

But, I have to admit I did see a video of Ed at NAMM (? '07 ?). He was piss drunk and couldn't play well. They pulled the video pretty quickly after it was posted. That's when I thought the naysayers were correct...that Ed was all washed up. Still, most of the videos from the '08 tour show that he still has chops and can hit a groove with the band. I just have my doubts that he can write anything new that's worth a listen.

I'm sure this video is real and it's just about as bad as the 1st one in the OP.....

• Members
I'm not an EVH fan at all. I don't listen to him, don't own any of his records or play any of his songs. There's hundreds of guitarists and bands I'd rather listen to than EVH, and I don't find his music good to listen to. Not my style at all.

But regardless, I still recognize he had/has excellent skills and was a huge influence on rock and other music. So if people want to listen to the guy and be influenced by him, they can go ahead. Doesn't bother me.

Only thing that bothers me about EVH is when some fans say stuff like he's better than Hendrix or Page or Clapton etc... I don't believe in ranking or judging guitarists or anything like that. But if I did, EVH would not be high on my list.
:p

That's all good and honest. Let's just make sure we distinguish between subjective ranking (like Rolling Stone does, #1, #2, #37...) and subjective opinions.

I have no problem with someone expressing and opinion that BillyBilly or Jimi is their favorite guitarist. i have no problem saying they like EVH better than Clapton or *they* think EVH is better than Page.

it's when they try to ram that opinion down your thoat that I think the conversation and credibility goes south

• Members
I am 47 and while I do think EVH was a great guitar player back then, I just don't agree with your original statement that he was doing things that no one had ever done before. That is a pretty big statement and I don't think you can back it up personally.... You have kind of changed that now to things most people never heard or done... That is a lot different from doing things no one ever did before... And there is no one more proficient with whammy bar then Jeff Beck...

I'm 48 so I know more :cop: ...

Would you agree that EVH is one of the most instantly recognizable sounds? I would agree there is no one more proficient with a Strat whammy than Beck, but how about a modern trem? Can you name other guitarists who play rhythm in Eddie's style before or since, where you're not sure who it is ?

In contrast, go listen to some Yardbirds and for each song determine if it's Eric, Jimmy, or Jeff. It takes a good listen on many tracks to be sure.

I think these things together put Eddie in that class of "no one like him"

• Members

... and the Beatles were were just a fad, kids with bad haircuts and tight pants; Chet Atkins was just some hick with flashy guitars; Jimi Hendrix was just some black dude with an upside down guitar: SRV was just a guy who copied Jimi right side up; etc.

EVH was one of the true guitar gods, possessing alien talents from another solar system. The guy could play the ass off a guitar. Forget how he plays now. That was then, this is now.

Archived