What's up with all the EVH lovers here? To me he is just a glorified tap guitarist.

billybilly

• Members

I really can't stand when guitar players judge other guitar players. makes me feel that when some do that, they really show their limitations as a real guitar player.

Isn't this judging in itself? I mean, your concluding that they have limitations in their playing and are not real guitar players without ever knowing them or hearing them play...?

At the end of the day, we all judge a bit and yes, my original post is a bit of a parody but I am not a fan of his.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he's a great songwriter but never really advanced as a guitar player. He had some great tricks at the beginning, but didn't develop much further than that, other than cranking out decent tunes.

And yeah, I totally realize I'm posting in a troll thread. :lol:

• Members

So, you have a good buzz going!

At the moment? That's so {censored}ing stupid.

I reckon( to speak billybilly) I am a better soccer player than Pele'

At the moment.

Not to mention my ability to play SRV under the table.

At the moment.

Now, now, no need to get hasty.

Maybe you could play soccer better than Pele', at the moment. SRV is sadly not with us any longer so he does not count.

• Members

oh, i was not disrespecting you but i am basing that opinion on my experiances of people who judge other guitar players. see as I, a guitar player i respect others at the the craft even if I am not a fan of the genre or style they play. But when I see another guitar player disrespect another it makes me believe that their limitations and skill is not up to par as someone who breaths, sleeps and eats guitars like the person they are talking about. so yeah, it may look like I am judging but it's based on what I have seen in the real world that usually when someone disrecpects another at their craft it's usually because of their limitations and weaknesses. Does that make any sense because I have had a couple of drinks in me and after this I am signing off to prevent my typing hand to piss anyone off :) Oh well, judge me. I just feel that respecting others is better than a disrespecting if you know what it takes to become a guitar player. I was once like that until I opened my eyes to different guitar players did I learn that it's all good. I think that most guitarist one day soon realize that it's all music and it's all good and guitar playing is not a sport but a passion. Just my opinion, so no disrespect to anyone.

Isn't this judging in itself? I mean, your concluding that they have limitations in their playing and are not real guitar players without ever knowing them or hearing them play...?

At the end of the day, we all judge a bit and yes, my original post is a bit of a parody but I am not a fan of his.

• Members

Why is he so popular? I mean look at him, My big dangling ballsack has played better riffs than this.

I point is, these {censored}s are old, and age has a way of catching up to people. Take George Lynch for example. That man had talent in his prime, but now his hands and arms are so {censored}ed up, he reduced to playing intro licks on That Metal Show and working in the ESP custom shop. I mean that's not a bad gig, but the man use to smoke the {censored} out of that sexy bengal tigerbusrt guitar of his.

Edit: I want everyone to know that I struggled to find this clip. Same goes for the EVH ones, which means you must really want to troll HCEG bad Billybilly.

Lynch still smokes. How are his arms {censored}ed up? That Metal Show has some great guitarist on it....Paul Gilbert....

• Members

Funny thing is, I don't fancy myself as the worlds best guitarist but I reckon I am better than EVH at the moment.

Post a clip or it's all BS. By the way, what songs or innovation have you created? Can you play better than these clips from the last tour?

[video=youtube;uUiGKAkCQmA]

[video=youtube;VabgfRgfh1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabgfRgfh1E&feature=related

It sure does seem the old EVH can still play.

• Members

There's stuff and people out there that I don't like but I don't take the time to post about everyone of them on the internet. I actually like billybilly so I'm not going to dog him out or anything. But I'm a huge EVH fan and I'm pretty sure that if he had just spent a frickin week huffing glue without sleep he'd still play me off the stage and I would just smile stupidly.

You don't have to like him. I just happen to and probably enough for both of us.

• Members

When I was doing the east coast club thing in the '80s everyone was trying to sound like Eddie and I got sick of it.

When I heard him play again I realized that I was not sick of what he was doing but what all of the imitators were doing because he could actually play - everyone else was a watered down imitation but they were the ones that ruined it for me.

• Members

I'm 32 and got into VH in '91, so I did like some Sammy era stuff, though the Dave stuff always was my favorite. The tapping is irrelevant to me. However, he used the bar better than anyone I'd heard, because like tapping, it just happens sooner or later. I don't think Ed leaves special room for either of the two "tricks".

Huge Ed fan growing up.

Then I got into the pot and the idea that the lead singer-lead guitarist dynamic was kinda boring to me - even though as a one-two punch Ed and Dave are about all you could hope for in those positions. I always mostly hated cock rock anyway, and don't blame VH for the imitators. I got into Phish (a band that was practiced enough to follow any tangent and could be lead by any member at any time during the prime years 93-95), and also found Steely Dan. What a stable of guitarists there...

Then later on, I really got back into VH. Had more seasoned ears (for guitar and big picture), and far from sounding less impressive...ever better! I realized that, especially back then, VH were absolute killers, and a 22 year old Ed's solo in Ice Cream Man was so tasty, fluent and "rounded off"-(Ed ALWAYS finishes/rounds off his passages with such tasty bends and vibrato-a sign of REALLY getting it). His playing on 1984 on House of Pain and the other "other" songs is terrific. Even with Sam, it was always smooth and solos like Pleasure Dome and Runaround are excellent.

Shredding is stupid, and robots are that. Ed's knack for melody paired with speed and enthusiasm was unrivaled. The only guitarist that made me want to play, but never wanted to follow that trajectory.

Think of your favorite player, chances are someone is in his neighborhood style-wise. No one was in Ed's.

• Members

Lynch still smokes. How are his arms {censored}ed up? That Metal Show has some great guitarist on it....Paul Gilbert....

It started when he decided to buff his guns up. His hands and fingers got all stiff and now his age is starting to show through his playing. Don't get me wrong, I still love the man and his phrasing to death, but like Eddie, he' starting to go over the hill. Such is the sad fate of any old fart metal guitarist.

• Members

Amazes me why people start a thread just to stir a turd. Must be that small penis gaping asshole thing.

Of course this thread was to get a reaction but not to offend.

I actually learned that his playing did come back a bit so I may not be able to play better than him 'at the moment' after all.

However, I certainly had a bit of a laugh at those who did get offended. I'd hate to see them in a traffic jam...

• Members

Look, I'm not saying in his prime he couldn't play but he seems really over-rated on this forum.

He certainly has become a product of his addictions and with age, has got worse.

In my opinion, there are many better guitar players out there, many.

Hey dude..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNdTMZ4fh0ilVLzTTAaI5

• Members

Of course this thread was to get a reaction but not to offend.

I actually learned that his playing did come back a bit so I may not be able to play better than him 'at the moment' after all.

However, I certainly had a bit of a laugh at those who did get offended. I'd hate to see them in a traffic jam...

billybilly, when did you decide to become an asshole??

• Members

I think he's a great songwriter but never really advanced as a guitar player. He had some great tricks at the beginning, but didn't develop much further than that, other than cranking out decent tunes.

And yeah, I totally realize I'm posting in a troll thread.
:lol:

You could say the exact same thing about Jeff Beck. Is there really something wrong with having enough talent that you peak early in your career?

And what you call a lack of advancement, I'm sure Eddie saw as an evolution; something different. Most of his late DLR (synthed) / Van Hagar work is completely different than VH's first 4 albums. I'm not talking about if *you* like it or not, but it is a significant change in songwriting and performance.

As for this being a troll thread, how many years did you get to bang Valerie?

• Members

Huge Ed fan growing up.

Then later on, I really got back into VH. Had more seasoned ears (for guitar and big picture), and far from sounding less impressive...ever better! I realized that, especially back then, VH were absolute killers, and a 22 year old Ed's solo in Ice Cream Man was so tasty, fluent and "rounded off"-(Ed ALWAYS finishes/rounds off his passages with such tasty bends and vibrato-a sign of REALLY getting it). His playing on 1984 on House of Pain and the other "other" songs is terrific. Even with Sam, it was always smooth and solos like Pleasure Dome and Runaround are excellent.

Shredding is stupid, and robots are that. Ed's knack for melody paired with speed and enthusiasm was unrivaled. The only guitarist that made me want to play, but never wanted to follow that trajectory.

Think of your favorite player, chances are someone is in his neighborhood style-wise. No one was in Ed's.

Very well said. Jimmy is easily my automatic #1 guitarist, for obvious reasons if you "get" Jimmy. Always has been always will be. And since I was a teen in late 1970s, Eddie's been my #2. Always has been always will be.

• Members

What exactly did he do that no one ever did before??? Because it was tapping, Jeff Beck was tapping in the 60s and he got it from a book from 1930s... Watch the Montreal Guitar Show press conference from 2009 and he talks about it..

Saying that the only thing that made EVH stand out was tapping is like saying that the only thing that Hendrix did was light his guitar on fire. EVH blazed onto the scene doing stuff with vibrato bar that was never heard by most people, he also broke away from blues leads and started doing those weird scales and using just tuning. He may not have been the first guitarist to do all this stuff but he was the first to apply them to dumb-ass catchy pop tunes, with a super high energy live show. You might argue that Jeff Beck did all this technical stuff first, but you're missing the point.

I don't know how old you are but in the late 70's and early 80's when Van Halen first became popular, most people were either doing punk stuff or trying to sound like a mix of Keith Richards and Jimmy Page. Then Van Halen came along and he was like {censored}in' Godzilla tearing up the real estate. I remember sitting in Electric Lady Studios doing my first album in 1983 and feeling the shadow EVH and other wang bar guys like Steve Stevens towering over my crappy punk chops. Like I said before, he never really appealed to me much, those California hair tunes just ain't my cup o tea, but I'll argue with anyone who says that he wasn't special.

• Members

I think EVH was the missing link between '60s-'70s Classic Rock and '80s hair metal. As well as being the first to put any extensive tapping in his playing, he also tremolo picked a lot in a hard rock context instead of playing standard blues-rock licks. I know that Dick Dale tremolo picked a lot, but EVH did it on the high strings. Now all that stuff seems standard now in heavy metal, but EVH started it, and he wasn't even a metal player.

I think EVH, more than anybody else @ the time, spawned shred.

Archived