What's up with all the EVH lovers here? To me he is just a glorified tap guitarist.

billybilly

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I too have read several times where EVH said he rewired the PAF and potted it with wax to cut down on feedback. He built his own guitar so why not the pickup??? What is the big deal??? He also said he never hooked up the single coil pickup, just put it in there to fill the space... Was he full of {censored}??? I don't think so, the guy seems pretty technically proficient and did a lot of his own mods..

• Members

a variac is a killer. i hate em. get a plexi, get a good hot 19-20+k pickup / 300-500K pot installed into a strat style guitar with a trem. plug into a good plexi. hook up your favorite delay and a good mxr90 and turn that sucker up. Crank out some riffs and try it out for yourself.

My dog died today and I am pretty bummed and ready to get home to deal with the family tear fest. So I am respectfully pulling out of this eddie debate before it gets crazier but yall be nice and remember that yalll are right to being a little skeptical when it comes to the added Eddie tone BS. The stuff that I mentioned, I have tested it out and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. try it all yourselves before you throw it to the garbage and see.

Blessings bro. My dog is 16 and on her last leg too. I can't imagine what it feels like to lose your puppy who's been with you for so long and through so much.

• Members

Well, there you go billybilly.

You started a multi page {censored} storm like a nice little troll, about an artist that in his prime, was one undoubtedly a creative and innovative guitarist.

Please explain the motive or satisfaction for doing this so I can understand. Did you win something? Are you more notorious on these forums after this thread? Do you feel better about yourself now? Are you finally cool?

Next time I see your butt ugly avatar, I'll skip to the next thread.

To respond to you Bonenut, none of the above.

It was a harmless parody thread and I certainly can't be accountable for other peoples actions or opinions. I certainly didn't mean to cause an angry {censored}storm.

You have the right to ignore my posts, life goes on...

It appears as though EVH is a touchy subject which is ultimately subjective. He's not my thing but that's just my opinion.

For everyone who did get offended, it was not my incentive to do so. I just wanted to get people talking. It's up to the individual on how they run with it.

At the end of the day, it has made for some interesting reading.

When this post starting gaining momentum, I apologized and opted out only to come back and find this. What can you do?

• Members
a variac is a killer. i hate em. get a plexi, get a good hot 19-20+k pickup / 300-500K pot installed into a strat style guitar with a trem. plug into a good plexi. hook up your favorite delay and a good mxr90 and turn that sucker up. Crank out some riffs and try it out for yourself.

My dog died today and I am pretty bummed and ready to get home to deal with the family tear fest. So I am respectfully pulling out of this eddie debate before it gets crazier but yall be nice and remember that yalll are right to being a little skeptical when it comes to the added Eddie tone BS. The stuff that I mentioned, I have tested it out and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. try it all yourselves before you throw it to the garbage and see.

So sorry to hear about your dog. That is really terrible, nothing worse then losing a dog... :(

• Members

Another member of the "EVH can't play" club. Probably belongs to the "Wes only played octaves", "Clapton has no chops", and "What's the big deal about B.B. King?" club too. :rolleyes:

But probably adores Herman Li, because "he plays, uh...like really fast, dude!"

• Members

I really have to start skipping a lot of these high school type post that are simply ridicules. Anyone old enough to cross the bridge between Hendrix and Vanhalen get it. Before Eddie every lead player was measure up against Hendrix who was believed to have taken the electric guitar as far as it could go sonically.When VHI came out it blew the guitar community away and sent millions(correct millions) of players running to for the woodshed. Neither Hendrix or Eddie invented anything that no one had done before, but it is what they did by gathering what they heard and fusing it all together to create the #1 and #1A most inovative styles in history. I challenge anyone to find an album that sounds anything like the playing on VHI, because they will not. Everyone seems to be an expert on these forums and how this guy can do this and that guy can do that. How many guys can claim to have had their whole style of playing analyzed and ripped off by millions of players, or were told they were the best? Does anyone here have 12 straight albums that went platinum, which for a hard rock band to have 2 or 3 is a major feat.Well Eddie Vanhalen can say yes to all of this.

But forget what a bunch of guys on some forum say as the greatest respect comes from your peers, and if you play music,sports, or are an artist the words that mean the most come from guys who are great at doing the samething that you do. Eddie has a new book coming out, and some of the guitarist who contributed the text reads like this
Famous guitarists who contributed text:

* Angus Young (AC/DC)
* Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
* Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
* Les Paul
* Steve Vai
* Joe Satriani
* Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme)
* Ritchie Blackmore (Rainbow, Deep Purple)
* Gilby Clarke (Guns N

• Members

man this fan boy crap.. gets old quick... if you have any convection at all about is A or B or C is a good player.,.. then {censored} all else.. why must you play internet cowboy and prattle on and on.. and chastise some one for expressing an opinion.. that you like what ever you like should be enough and you should feel no need what so ever to post pointless comparison or this vs that... get the {censored} over it... its music all music is subjective... there is no best better worse... or there should not be... but this thread slipped a long time ago in to the fan boy realm so and so its validity is at least in question.. eddie did some great things... but he also really commercialized himself and sold out... dont think so.... listen to the vh version with gary sharone... or the super slick poppy goodness of that vanhagar stuff... its just not very good.. i mean its may be good for radio... but being good for radio.... is not really a great mile stone...

but have at it.... get all the {censored} yous and you suck... because you disagree with my opinion..... its the net man....

• Members

I really have to start skipping a lot of these high school type post that are simply ridicules. Anyone old enough to cross the bridge between Hendrix and Vanhalen get it. Before Eddie every lead player was measure up against Hendrix who was believed to have taken the electric guitar as far as it could go sonically.When VHI came out it blew the guitar community away and sent millions(correct millions) of players running to for the woodshed. Neither Hendrix or Eddie invented anything that no one had done before, but it is what they did by gathering what they heard and fusing it all together to create the #1 and #1A most inovative styles in history. I challenge anyone to find an album that sounds anything like the playing on VHI, because they will not. Everyone seems to be an expert on these forums and how this guy can do this and that guy can do that. How many guys can claim to have had their whole style of playing analyzed and ripped off by millions of players, or were told they were the best? Does anyone here have 12 straight albums that went platinum, which for a hard rock band to have 2 or 3 is a major feat.Well Eddie Vanhalen can say yes to all of this.

But forget what a bunch of guys on some forum say as the greatest respect comes from your peers, and if you play music,sports, or are an artist the words that mean the most come from guys who are great at doing the samething that you do. Eddie has a new book coming out, and some of the guitarist who contributed the text reads like this

* Angus Young (AC/DC)

* Joe Perry (Aerosmith)

* Les Paul

* Steve Vai

* Joe Satriani

* Gilby Clarke (Guns N

• Members

man this fan boy crap.. gets old quick... if you have any convection at all about is A or B or C is a good player.,.. then {censored} all else.. why must you play internet cowboy and prattle on and on.. and chastise some one for expressing an opinion.. that you like what ever you like should be enough and you should feel no need what so ever to post pointless comparison or this vs that... get the {censored} over it... its music all music is subjective... there is no best better worse... or there should not be... but this thread slipped a long time ago in to the fan boy realm so and so its validity is at least in question.. eddie did some great things... but he also really commercialized himself and sold out... dont think so.... listen to the vh version with gary sharone... or the super slick poppy goodness of that vanhagar stuff... its just not very good.. i mean its may be good for radio... but being good for radio.... is not really a great mile stone...

but have at it.... get all the {censored} yous and you suck... because you disagree with my opinion..... its the net man....

I agree, particularly that it is okay to disagree. No need to be hostile almost ever, especially on a guitar forum.

• Members

* Angus Young (AC/DC)

* Joe Perry (Aerosmith)

* Les Paul

* Steve Vai

* Joe Satriani

* Gilby Clarke (Guns N

• Members

Dweezil sounds better...

I love Dweezil. He's doing some killer stuff on his Zappa Plays Zappa tour. But, I've only seen Dweezil clone the Album versions of VH. It's very precise but missing the swagger.

When he's sober, Ed understands that great live performances are about taking chances, not perfection. He flubs plenty of notes but he keeps the energy high. Here is 52 year old EVH killing it live....with swagger....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDE1Nw8WBkI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDE1Nw8WBkI&feature=related

• Members

Uh he changed guitar. Forever, in a big way. He was a huge innovator, and monster player. You can't deny it. Don't love it, fine, but easily one of the top 10 guitarists in my book, and probably one of the most influential, behind R. Johnson, the "Kings" and Clapton.

and how you can not mention Hendrix... Just listen to music prior to Jimi and after, no one has made a bigger impact on guitar or music... 100 years from now they will still be talking about him like Beethoven and Mozart, not so sure the same thing can be said for old Ed...

• Members

Uh he changed guitar. Forever, in a big way. He was a huge innovator, and monster player. You can't deny it. Don't love it, fine, but easily one of the top 10 guitarists in my book, and probably one of the most influential, behind R. Johnson, the "Kings" and Clapton.

agreed. i'm not a fan of shredding, but even i have zero difficulty hearing the blazing genius that EVH unleashed on the world. a mesmerizing blend of mind-blowing technique, originality and musicality that comes along once in a generation (if we're lucky).

• Members

Are you joking? Never advanced? When you're the best guitarist in the world how the hell are you expected to advance?

I think he's a great songwriter but never really advanced as a guitar player. He had some great tricks at the beginning, but didn't develop much further than that, other than cranking out decent tunes.

And yeah, I totally realize I'm posting in a troll thread.
:lol:

• Members

The results of the poll, published in issue #112 of Roadie Crew, were as follows:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eddie Van Halen

3. Yngwie J. Malmsteen

4. Randy Rhoads

5. Ritchie Blackmore

6. Jimmy Page

7. Tony Iommi

8. Steve Vai

9. Jeff Beck

10. Michael Schenker

11. David Gilmour

12. Dimebag Darrell

13. Allan Holdsworth

14. Uli Jon Roth

If you go back way before all these people...~1800's...this is what shredding sounded like. The 1st fast part happens at ~31 seconds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHrZAplckpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHrZAplckpI

Archived