What thoughts come to your head looking at Rolling Stone mags top 100 guitarist list?

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Well Cobain wasn't the greatest guitar player but man that guy could write.

ugh, i'm so bored with this statement.

you know what, no ... not really. he wrote a few catchy riffs and refrains that were admittedly lifted from OTHER popular songs. this is not difficult. and most of his lyrics were just stupid.

tom waits can write. townes van zandt could write. gram parsons could write. leonard cohen can write. richard buckner can write. etc etc etc ...

that said, no one really cares about those silly lists other than those who simply want to see a reaction. it's just trolling in print.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

ugh, i'm so bored with this statement.

you know what, no ... not really. he wrote a few catchy riffs and refrains that were admittedly lifted from OTHER popular songs. this is not difficult. and most of his lyrics were just stupid.

I have to ask you. how old were you when nevermind dropped?

• Members

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band

45 Frank Zappa

46 Les Paul

6 Chuck Berry

5 Robert Johnson

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan

3. B.B. King

4 Eric Clapton

82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

83 Neil Young

81 Derek Trucks

9. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones

21 George Harrison

13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead

14 Jeff Beck

15 Carlos Santana

8. Ry Cooder

11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica

12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana

17 Jack White of the White Stripes

18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

22 Mike Bloomfield

23 Warren Haynes

25 Freddy King

27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits

30 Buddy Guy

31 Dick Dale

37 Bo Diddley

39 Brian May of Queen

73 Trey Anastasio of Phish

41 Clarence White of the Byrds

42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson

43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic

85 Randy Rhoads

47 T-Bone Walker

49 John McLaughlin

50 Pete Townsend

52 Lou Reed

54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane

55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple

58 Dickey Betts

66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour

70 Eddie Van Halen

71 Lightnin' Hopkins

72 Joni Mitchell

74 Johnny Winter

76 Ali Farka Toure

86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath

89 D. Boon of the Minutemen

97 Robert Randolph

My list is shorter. (and a little rough) Playing guitar competently doesnt make you great. It's complete {censored}. Tons are left out they put ona year or two ago. Least they got eddie right.

• Members

It's cool to see Allman so high. And nice to see Mickey Baker, Ike Turner and Eddie Hazel. Also Jansch and Thompson. Of course the omissions are more striking; Chet, Merle, Tommy Emmanuel, Marcel Dadi, Curtis Mayfield, Cornell Dupree, Gary Moore, Uli Jon Roth... and probably 50 or so substitutions I would make. Hell, I don't even think they picked my favorite Blue Cheer guitarist.

• Members

I'm bored with those who say he couldn't write. His music still resonates with millions of people nearly 20 years after he kicked the bucket. That means the dude could write.

that's being a far bit generous, i'd say - who actually gives a {censored} about nirvana anymore except the old farts who were there nearly 20 years ago? had he not blown his head off at the height of his popularity, i assure you his "legacy" would be far, far less. chris cornell was writing FAR better, by any standard, songs at the same time and he really just sadly comes off as a kind of washed up old guy these days. and cobain couldn't write, say, "4th of july" if he had 100 chances and chris helping.

he just stole some pixies and melvins riffs, threw in some truly awful lyrics and had butch vig and/or steve albini make him rich ... then blew his head off because the media made him into something he knew he wasn't. which i suppose is respectable in some way.

sorry.

please - tell me something he wrote that wasn't stupid and sophomoric. i'll give him credit for "in bloom" ... he at least knew his audience and decency level by that point.

• Members

about 15. i was "that" generation.

that's being a far bit generous, i'd say - who actually gives a {censored} about nirvana anymore except the old farts who were there nearly 20 years ago? had he not blown his head off at the height of his popularity, i assure you his "legacy" would be far, far less. chris cornell was writing FAR better, by any standard, songs at the same time and he really just sadly comes off as a kind of washed up old guy these days. and cobain couldn't write, say, "4th of july" if he had 100 chances and chris helping.

he just stole some pixies and melvins riffs, threw in some truly awful lyrics and had butch vig and/or steve albini make him rich ... then blew his head off because the media made him into something he knew he wasn't. which i suppose is respectable in some way.

sorry.

please - tell me something he wrote that wasn't stupid and sophomoric. i'll give him credit for "in bloom" ... he at least knew his audience and decency level by that point.

6795335685_5efa8e2fc3_m.jpg

• Members

I'll just tackle the top ten...

1. Jimi Hendrix (From a creative perspective, I won't argue this. Technically though, no, not even close..)

2. Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band (Not top ten material)

3. B.B. King (King of the Blues, absolutely, but his guitar skill doesn't warrant the top ten.)

4 Eric Clapton (Similar to B.B., but with better guitar skills.. 4 is about right.)

5 Robert Johnson (Great music, but not top ten guitar skill. Creativity off the charts though, cuz before RJ, guitars just didn't do that.)

6 Chuck Berry (For his era, easily top ten. But not today.)

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan (7 is too low...)

8. Ry Cooder (about right)

9. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin (Way too low..)

10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones (Probably the most over-rated player I've ever heard.)

And now, a few "WTF?" moments...

14 Jeff Beck

18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

39 Brian May of Queen

70 Eddie Van Halen

82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

85 Randy Rhoads

86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath

96 Angus Young of AC/DC

97 Robert Randolph

Obviously, this RS list was compiled by retards... But then, isn't it always?

• Members

see below

only people who want to know what they should be wearing.

My first thought?

There are a million things more useful to do.

Back in the 70s somebody bought me a subscription for Christmas. After perusing the first 2 issues the rest went straight to useless, cork sniffing, drivel bin. Sadly for Rolling Stone the pics on the cover can't redeem the mag's contents.

[video=youtube;nLbdX8Snpa8]

• Members

What thoughts come to your head looking at Rolling Stone mags top 100 guitarist list?

Mainly that there are a lot of people with too much time on their hands...

I mean, it's not like sports, where you can compare statistics. In fact, given the wide variety of styles, it's akin to choosing the "Best athlete" between all the sports -- basically pointless...

• Members

many funny comments ... and mostly exactly accurate. obviously, the RS people never heard of jazz. and until i started listening closely, i never realized how much better most of the guys i listen to sound than almost everyone on this list. so ... if i only look at popular rockers ... it;s a decent list. otherwise, purely entertainment.

• Members

their criteria is too liberal (no surprise there :D)....so as a fan of the geetar, I'd make a list of pure playing ability and artistry with the instrument. That's it. So, I'd probably have a list of professional classical, flamenco, jazz and country players the masses have never heard of in addition to those they (not so) shockingly left off ie- Eric Johnson, Pat Metheny, Jerry Reed, Michael Hedges, Allan Holdsworth, Adrian Legg, Steve Morse, Steve Howe, Robben Ford, Merle Travis, Greg Howe, Dan Huff, John Williams, Brent Mason, Joe Pass, Christopher Parkening, Adrian Legg, Pete Anderson, Shawn Lane, Stanley Jordan, Steve Vai and I'd start it with Paco De Lucia :D....