What thoughts come to your head looking at Rolling Stone mags top 100 guitarist list?

Dr. Scottie C

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'll just tackle the top ten...

1. Jimi Hendrix (From a creative perspective, I won't argue this. Technically though, no, not even close..)

2. Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band (Not top ten material)

3. B.B. King (King of the Blues, absolutely, but his guitar skill doesn't warrant the top ten.)

4 Eric Clapton (Similar to B.B., but with better guitar skills.. 4 is about right.)

5 Robert Johnson (Great music, but not top ten guitar skill. Creativity off the charts though, cuz before RJ, guitars just didn't do that.)

6 Chuck Berry (For his era, easily top ten. But not today.)

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan (7 is too low...)

8. Ry Cooder (about right)

9. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin (Way too low..)

10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones (Probably the most over-rated player I've ever heard.)

And now, a few "WTF?" moments...

14 Jeff Beck 18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers 39 Brian May of Queen 70 Eddie Van Halen 82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd 85 Randy Rhoads86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath 96 Angus Young of AC/DC97 Robert Randolph

Obviously, this RS list was compiled by retards... But then, isn't it always?

I'm not defending the list -- because quite a few boneheaded decisions went into making it -- but I think you (and many others) are making the mistake of equating position on the list with sheer guitar skill and musical creativity. The list also ranks players by influence and legacy, which is why you see such things as BB King, Chuck Berry and Robert Johnson so high.

Ranking Gilmour, Iommi, Van Halen and Angus so low is an absolute travesty, though.

On the Duane Allman front, though ... despite his relatively brief recording career, he was one of the most talented, expressive and influential blues-rock guitarists to ever put finger to string. That's a hell of an accomplishment for someone who was mostly self-taught and didn't read a lick of music. Plus, he had beautiful tone and took to slide playing like a fish to water.

The Layla sessions and the ABB's At the Fillmore East are transcendent because of him, and his lead work on Boz Scaggs' "Loan Me a Dime" is {censored}ing awesome, with very mature phrasing and sense of pacing/melody for someone only 22 years old. He was a sought-after session player (mostly because of his performances on "Loan Me a Dime" and Wilson Pickett's version of "Hey Jude"), and all the ABB albums he was involved with are touchstones for blues, Southern Rock and jam-band guitar playing.

He did all this amazing stuff, and never reached his 25th birthday.

Duane Allman is absolutely top 10 material.

[video=youtube;oTFvAvsHC_Y]

• Members

It looks like the sort of list you'd expect to see in a mag like Rolling Stone, given the sort of bands their target audience are into...you would probably get a very different list in a Jazz mag (!) for instance.

Amen. If I were to compile a list of the top 100 guitarists I'd like to spend my time actually listening to, about 75 of them would be jazzers. Not sure whether Zappa would qualify for jazz or rock. In any case, a list like this lacking Charlie Christian near the top is clearly aimed at a, uh, unsophisticated audience. No Andreas Oberg? No Joe Pass?

I'm reminded of the old joke that rockers play three chords for thousands of people, and jazzers play thousands of chords for three people. Skill on the instrument doesn't seem to relate here.

• Members

Am I the only one offended that in addition to the content, they present this list as so scientifically compiled that in more than one instance ties occurred in the scoring? There is soooooooooooooo much scatter-brained subjectivity evident in this list that more sense can be made from a {censored}-grenade pattern in a public toilet.

They do these list every year or something don't they? I'd be entertained to see how people move around from year to year. Gee, So 'n' So died last year and this year he moved up past What's His Face...take that, What's His Face!!

• Members

My thought is that the list reads as if it was put together by the editors of Rolling Stone.

It would be cool to get lists of the greatest guitarists from different magazines every once in awhile. They don't even need to be music mags.

Top guitarist according to Human Events? National Review? Mother Jones? Car and Driver? Better Homes and Gardens? Popular Mechanics? National Geographic? People? Oprah? Playboy?

I'm tired of the Rolling Stone lists.

• Members

Zappa should be in the top 10.

I think it's cool Ry Cooder made it.

I'd have Keith Richards and Chuck Berry somewhere in the 20's at best.

Robert Johnson only made one album. You don't make the top 10 of all time playing for 40 minutes. Sorry.

Some of these guys are songwriters who just happen to play guitar....yea I'm talking about YOU, Cobain. If you get to be #12 then Bob Dylan gets to be #7 or something because he plays better than you and also writes better songs.

• Members

I feel like this has been discussed a million times. I disagree with most of this list from top to bottom. A lot of guitarists that I really like that I still think are too high or low, and some I don't like that are too high or too low. EVH at 70 and Gilmour at 82 are lunacy, both of them should be way higher.

There's some stuff I like in there, I dig that they mention Steve Howe and Robert Fripp, Les Paul too (should be at the very least in the top 20 though, he's #1 in my "list").

But who cares what I think, and who cares what Rolling Stone thinks anyway.

• Members

Some of these guys are songwriters who just happen to play guitar....yea I'm talking about YOU, Cobain. If you get to be #12 then Bob Dylan gets to be #7 or something because he plays better than you and also writes better songs.

Agreed. Love Nirvana, but Kurt doesn't belong on top of most of the names on the list by a long shot.

Certainly should be high on a "Best Frontman" type list but not on a list about guitarists.

• Members

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band

3. B.B. King

4 Eric Clapton

5 Robert Johnson

6 Chuck Berry

7 Stevie Ray Vaughan

8. Ry Cooder

9. Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones

11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica

12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana

13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead

14 Jeff Beck

15 Carlos Santana

16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones

17 Jack White of the White Stripes

18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

19 Richard Thompson

20 James Burton

21 George Harrison

22 Mike Bloomfield

23 Warren Haynes

24 The Edge of U2

25 Freddy King

26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave

27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits

28 Stephen Stills

29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges

30 Buddy Guy

31 Dick Dale

32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service

33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth

35 John Fahey

36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's

37 Bo Diddley

38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac

39 Brian May of Queen

40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival

41 Clarence White of the Byrds

42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson

43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic

44 Scotty Moore

45 Frank Zappa

46 Les Paul

47 T-Bone Walker

48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith

49 John McLaughlin

50 Pete Townsend

51 Paul Kossoff of Free

52 Lou Reed

53 Mickey Baker

54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane

55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple

56 Tom Verlaine of Television

57 Roy Buchanan

58 Dickey Betts

59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead

61 Ike Turner

62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band

63 Danny Gatton

64 Mick Ronson

65 Hubert Sumlin

66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour

67 Link Wray

68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape

69 Steve Howe of Yes

70 Eddie Van Halen

71 Lightnin' Hopkins

72 Joni Mitchell

73 Trey Anastasio of Phish

74 Johnny Winter

75 Adam Jones of Tool

76 Ali Farka Toure

77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat

78 Robbie Robertson of the Band

79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)

80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids

81 Derek Trucks

82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

83 Neil Young

84 Eddie Cochran

85 Randy Rhoads

86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath

87 Joan Jett

88 Dave Davies of the Kinks

89 D. Boon of the Minutemen

90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper

91 Robby Krieger of the Doors

]92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5

94 Bert Jansch

95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine

96 Angus Young of AC/DC

97 Robert Randolph

98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer

99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag

100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

People who are misplaced are in italics, people who shouldn't even be on it are in bold. People whom i've never heard of are underlined. People i have no opinion on are left blank.

• Members

8. Ry Cooder

22 Mike Bloomfield

23 Warren Haynes

28 Stephen Stills

32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service

36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's

47 T-Bone Walker

58 Dickey Betts

63 Danny Gatton

71 Lightnin' Hopkins

72 Joni Mitchell

73 Trey Anastasio of Phish

81 Derek Trucks

People whom i've never heard of are underlined.

You should really check out some of those folks you've never heard of. Some truly wonderful artists in that list.

• Members

You should really check out some of those folks you've never heard of. Some truly wonderful artists in that list.

Yeah. Kellanium: I envy you. Would love to have the opportunity to hear some of the players you've underlined for the very first time! cool notation system, btw.

I have two adds: Chris Spedding and John Perry -- CSM will back me on both of those, I'm guessing...

• Members

I think it's pretty obvious that the list was not actually made by a real guitar player. Kurt Cobain should never be on any of these lists, love him or hate him he wasn't much of a guitar player and I would dare to say that his guitar playing also wasn't influential. His songwriting maybe, but not his guitar playing. No Chet Atkins or Tommy Emmanuel and then Angus Young barely making the list or some of the things that stand out to me. No Chet Atkins, seriously?

The thing I hate about these lists is that they don't even try to be objective.

• Members

85 Randy Rhoads

96 Angus Young of AC/DC

People who are misplaced are in italics, people who shouldn't even be on it are in bold. People whom i've never heard of are underlined. People i have no opinion on are left blank.

Sorry to hike my leg in your lucky charms broomstick cowboy..... but Randy Rhoads and Angus Young both belong on anyone's top 100 list if influence is even a considered category. Those two alone have probably inspired 15% of the worlds guitar playing population.