The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What the hell...(shrug)

You can hear a few of my gruntings and plonkings here...at my myspace site. There are little nitnoid things I'd like to fix about all of 'em. I guess they're all rough demos, some rougher than others....

www.myspace.com/tedhoffman

"Use It All"...some folks here have heard this before...but I finally got my son to put drums on it. I added a guitar solo. The mix still sucks...of this I am aware.

"Bad Wind On The Bayou"...my Katrina song, featuring the O'Keefe family on bass and backup vocals, and my son Andrew on drums.

"Walk Away Renee"...my son on drums, me on everything else

"A Little At A Time"...my supersappy lovesick acoustic song. If you only like cookie monster bands, don't even bother clicking on it.

• Members

Hey, my CD is done, officially available, etc., etc.

Tainted Rose Full song for free! (but it's just an mp3. You want the quality stuff - go buy the CD biggrin.gif)

Take the "3 Minute Tour" A brief clip of each song on the disc.

Prowl around the website - you might find an interesting sub-page, you crazy jammers wink.gif

Buy the disc at CD Baby. Really. You'll love it.

cdbaby_stripetop_200_red.gif

hartzell.jpg

cdbaby_stripebottom_200_red.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Tedster, fine songs. Is Andrew still in the area? Wish my kids had shown some interest in music (longer than the few weeks it took them to reach the first plateau).

I posted a link a couple of months ago to a site where one of my bandmates has submitted some songs we recorded several years ago. Here's another: Bombs Away

My other song on that list is Blue Fly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Billster

View Post

Hey, my CD is done, officially available, etc.,

Bill,

There is some really nice music and playing here- Bravo! I like the style a lot, we don't hear enough good instrumental music that is well written and played and still "accessible".

I thought some of the guitar playing was a little inconsistent in that sometimes it generally sounds totally pro and then occasionally it sounds weaker. Please take this as a positive compliment and friendly feedback to where if you tighten up some of these spots the overall result would be top drawer!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by emdub123

View Post

Very polished, very professional. I don't have any constructive criticism at all. You categorize yourself as AAA and I would agree. Exactly what you would hear on an AAA station.

Have you made any attempt to work with a label? What has your experience been? If you don't mind my asking, how many cds do you sell at a typical gig? What is a typical gig, btw?

Thanks so much for taking time out to listen- I have not made any attempts at label submissions yet. I have had some very enthusiastic responses from people with connections wanting to help get a cd in the right hands and that is a blessing. I've not sold any cd's at gigs because I am still finishing the mixes for a few other tracks. In fact, I just finished another tune if you'd like to check it out- it's called "Not Givin Up" Here is the link-

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=123066

• Members

Glenn, great stuff, great songs, great voice.

The thing that struck me is the very polished production...everything in the right place...everything put in a place that sets the song and the performance off, which is exactly what top-notch production should do.

Who produces your stuff?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tedster

View Post

Glenn, great stuff, great songs, great voice.

The thing that struck me is the very polished production...everything in the right place...everything put in a place that sets the song and the performance off, which is exactly what top-notch production should do.

Who produces your stuff?

Thanks for that post- I produced and recorded them myself. I spent several years writing/producing/engineering for a few other people and I think I was afraid to step out on my own. I'm glad I finally did. Wish I would have sooner but I gained valuable experience before I took this on myself.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by steveg

View Post

Bill,

There is some really nice music and playing here- Bravo! I like the style a lot, we don't hear enough good instrumental music that is well written and played and still "accessible".

I thought some of the guitar playing was a little inconsistent in that sometimes it generally sounds totally pro and then occasionally it sounds weaker. Please take this as a positive compliment and friendly feedback to where if you tighten up some of these spots the overall result would be top drawer!!

Thanks for listening in Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Greetings to all!

I have been a reader and supporter of Craig Anderton's work since the 1970's - oops, I just dated myself! Ah well, the point being that I find his writing to be excellent and his point of view to be solidly based in reality and experience! I have many of his books, some dating back to 1979 and further and I must say that if I learned anything more from any other single source, as pertains to music and the recording thereof, I would be hard-pressed to identify who!

That being said, I would like to place a song up for this Forum's critique. It is original, and all parts were recorded by yours truly; all vocals, instruments and drums. I am wanting honest constructive opinions and reviews only, as this song pretty much exposes the best I can do as a songwriter, singer, musician and engineer.

The song is: POINT OF VIEW and can be streamed Hi or Lo speed, the lyrics are there for you to read as well.

Thanks to all for stopping by!

CT-POV360x340.jpg

• Members

Now on iTunes smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Billster

View Post

Hey, my CD is done, officially available, etc., etc.

Tainted Rose Full song for free! (but it's just an mp3. You want the quality stuff - go buy the CD biggrin.gif)

Take the "3 Minute Tour" A brief clip of each song on the disc.

Prowl around the website - you might find an interesting sub-page, you crazy jammers wink.gif

Buy the disc at CD Baby. Really. You'll love it.

cdbaby_stripetop_200_red.gif

hartzell.jpg

cdbaby_stripebottom_200_red.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Storm

View Post

Well, all righty, then. I just happen to be recording my second solo album right now, so I might as well get some feedback on my working mixes, bearing in mind, of course, the fact that these are, after all, just MP3 files. smile.gif

Lemon Frosting - April F's Mix

Lovely Day - Mix 09

BTW, I was formerly, and am still currently, known as "Bunny" over at MusicPlayer.com, for those old skool (actually, middle skool) SSS folkes in da house! Heheh.

I love that lemon frosting song, very funky, little jazzy, on top of it fresh...good job

• Members

Acoustic Improv #1 ---wma format.

A bit of acoustic improv. I laid down a few tracks of acoustic improvisation and mixed this little ditty in a couple hours. It doesn't really resolve, but it has a cool little groove. I might expand on the theme.

Gear:

Yamaha FG-75, tuned up a step or so...

PZM, at about 8-12 inches.

Tracked into Acid 4.0.

I did do a bit of creative editing, try and see where!

• Members

ahhhh well,

this is some very old stuff we did in 79' or so, on a 4-track then mixed down to cassette. i been carrying it around all this time.

i had it converted to cd this past summer and the quality is what one might expect. it's kind of a live recording in that we were mic'd with no engineering at all.

these were protos of more refined takes (that were lost)

i want to save these for memories.

i'm working on a solo thing now but have no finnished works as of yet.

line up-

gary-flute

alphonse-fender precission bass, big new ampeg 300w

mickey-guitar, new custom hamer $1200! lol(sent him the wrong color!)forgot what amp and effects he used.

dave-drums

me-76' tele with HB/neck, fender twin rev, flanger.

RUSH is one of my fav tunes.

www.myspace.com/coldwatertea

might be some big muff thrown in also somewhere.

Archived