The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by humancertainty

View Post

The Celebrant is great track! Not my genre, but I do tend to prefer moody side of the dark heavy stuff, and this is certainly moody and dark.

I really like the dark guitar sound and the chords he's playing. I suppose, from a mix perspective, the bottom could be tightened a bit and the drums brought out a bit, though not necessarily up a bit. The overall sound is good and dense, but there could be a little more separation. I realize the decision to keep the vox a little down might be aesthetic preference.

Anyway, I bet you guys kick live. Get some more tracks up there?

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Magpel

View Post

The Celebrant is great track! Not my genre, but I do tend to prefer moody side of the dark heavy stuff, and this is certainly moody and dark.

I really like the dark guitar sound and the chords he's playing. I suppose, from a mix perspective, the bottom could be tightened a bit and the drums brought out a bit, though not necessarily up a bit. The overall sound is good and dense, but there could be a little more separation. I realize the decision to keep the vox a little down might be aesthetic preference.

Anyway, I bet you guys kick live. Get some more tracks up there?

Thanks for listening and the kind words! The mix obviously sounds better when not compressed to mp3, and originally the mix had a little more drume out there. However, our label asked us to remix with a heavier guitar sound. Which ended up making for a heavier sound, although a little bit of the clarity was sacrificed. And yeah, we like to keep the vox not quite as forward. We're going to have a sample of another song up in the next few days. All our other songs are too long to fit on the page as a whole track!

Thanks again for listening and for the input!thumb.gif

• Members

Hey guys, I normally hang out on the guitar forums, but thought this might be better suited here. I'm mixing a couple of tunes and want some input. First off, I am not a mixer, I'm a guitar player, I hate mixing, but I need this done now. I have a guy to the final mixes. Second, since I'm not a mixer don't worry about offending me, but if you think the song sux you can kindly keep that to yourself.biggrin.gif

The first song is called Bringin' Me Down.

http://homepage.mac.com/gtrwiz/FileSharing1.html

One more thing, the first person to correctly name the two guitar players that inspired the solo will get a free copy of the CD, if I ever get it finished... wink.gif

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gtrwiz

View Post

One more thing, the first person to correctly name the two guitar players that inspired the solo will get a free copy of the CD, if I ever get it finished... wink.gif

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm...thhe solo is a strange combo of simple roots-riff style with some big pyrotechnic flourishes...

So here are my guesses as I bid for the free CD.

Since the song puts one in mind of Tom Petty, I'm going to say that Mike Campbell is one of influence--the rootsier sife, obviously.

For the flashier stuff, hmmm. At first I thought it was a little Yngvie-like, but now I'm switching over to Vai.

Mike Campbell and Steve Vai?

• Members

View Post

Hmmm...thhe solo is a strange combo of simple roots-riff style with some big pyrotechnic flourishes...

So here are my guesses as I bid for the free CD.

Since the song puts one in mind of Tom Petty, I'm going to say that Mike Campbell is one of influence--the rootsier sife, obviously.

For the flashier stuff, hmmm. At first I thought it was a little Yngvie-like, but now I'm switching over to Vai.

Mike Campbell and Steve Vai?

You had it the first time with Yngwie! So I'll give it to you because none of the mooks on the FX forum are even close, they're all saying Slash and Joe Perry! eek.gifconfused.gif

But yes Mike C and Yngwie are the right answers. PM me with your info, and I'll send you a CD when it's finished.

Any thoughts on the mix? I've already mad some major changes to the drums, much more clear and distinct.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gtrwiz

View Post

You had it the first time with Yngwie! So I'll give it to you because none of the mooks on the FX forum are even close, they're all saying Slash and Joe Perry! eek.gifconfused.gif

But yes Mike C and Yngwie are the right answers. PM me with your info, and I'll send you a CD when it's finished.

Any thoughts on the mix? I've already mad some major changes to the drums, much more clear and distinct.

Cool! First guess is best, I guess. BTW, it's a really good solo.

I don;t really have any comments on the mix, other than that I thought it sounded good and chunky, exactly as one might like for heavier take on a a kind of Tom Petty sound.

• Members

View Post

Cool! First guess is best, I guess. BTW, it's a really good solo.

I don;t really have any comments on the mix, other than that I thought it sounded good and chunky, exactly as one might like for heavier take on a a kind of Tom Petty sound.

Thanks! The goal is basically Petty meets Foo Fighters, with some pickin' thrown in for good measure. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JPfanboy

View Post

Listening to Severance right now. Proficient playing and recording, once again not a native genre for me but I do appreciate the sort of clean minimalism of the arrangements and the proficiency of the playing.

The drummer in fact kicks pretty serious ass--drives everything the same way the guy in Mastodon does--he seems to catch every accent, every hook of every instrumental while never faltering in his basic drummerly duties.

...See, I'm not the self-appoitned moderator of this thread, I'm just being a stalwart for a while to see if other poeple get back involved. So far, it is not going terribly well.

But if you like proficient instrumental metal and virtuoisic drummers, y'all should check out Severance...

Hey, I spent a snowy night in Shelton, CT once, holed up in one of the many "business hotels" there on a trip back from Mohegan Sun. had a great time actually.

• Members

streaming song link

Here is my first attempt to mic a guitar with a "real" mic. (Instead of the tiny mic on my Fostex recorder.) It was a Shure sm57. That's all I got!

You will hear a flash encoding... I don't know what that does to mp3 quality.

I'm just curious if you think it sounds decent for a "work demo" or "rough demo" or whatever you want to call something not a master. As well as the song itself, the writing. I am a serious songwriter and I always appreciate feedback of any kind and I can take it! Any comments welcome.

streaming song link

• Members

OK, here's a song for ya:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=23511

It will eventually be a vocal tune. All the guitars were done with a VHT Deliverance 120, all with the same amp setting. All gain and tone changes are from the guitar. Loops were done in Sundtrack Pro and flown in.

It's a rough, static mix, but let me know what you think!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMonkey

View Post

OK, here's a song for ya:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=23511

It will eventually be a vocal tune. All the guitars were done with a VHT Deliverance 120, all with the same amp setting. All gain and tone changes are from the guitar. Loops were done in Sundtrack Pro and flown in.

It's a rough, static mix, but let me know what you think!

I think this is a solid track with really good guitar work. The sound make me want to hear real drums, but it is well written and played really well. A nice vocal track on top and you have a strong rock tune. I like the keyboard parts because they offset the straight ahead rock sound, but I do think it needs real, or better, drums. Very nice.

• Members

Hi there, I'm a long time reader first time poster,

Thought I'd put up one of my projects- The songs are at www.BTEMusic.com

I was the songwriter, she cowrote, I produced, mixed, and played all the instruments.

Additionally, "In My Eyes" as a song got her artist of the week at HitQuarters : http://www.hitquarters.com/index.php...ts.php&id=3290

Let me know what you think,

Thanks guys,

Jim

Jim@BTEMusic.com

• Members

You can hear the whole album in MP3 format here...

http://www.garageband.com/artist/the...end_experience

They aren't in album order...If you would like to listen to them in album order it's...

1. Kiss, Kiss

2. Thumb

3. I Feel Fine

4. Black Diaper

5. Cross The Eyes

6. Katy

7. Gonorrhea

8. Death Of The Elephant

9. Minus

10. King Of Telegraph

11. Coke Buddha

12. When In Rome...Do As The Lions

The singles and shorter songs are at the front and the album tracks are from 8 on.

The album was produced by Sylvia Massy (Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Love & Rockets, System Of A Down, etc.)

As a point of interest, there are no synths or keyboards used on this album (despite what you might hear to the contrary)...Those parts are guitar that has been bowed with a raw wood drum stick or played in a particular way to get that sound.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_H

View Post

Oh, I may as well throw in my hat as well. It's pop/rock-

http://www.soundclick.com/glennhalldorson

Actually, this link will take you straight to the music, I think..........

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=123066

Very polished, very professional. I don't have any constructive criticism at all. You categorize yourself as AAA and I would agree. Exactly what you would hear on an AAA station.

Have you made any attempt to work with a label? What has your experience been? If you don't mind my asking, how many cds do you sell at a typical gig? What is a typical gig, btw?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by quackzed

View Post

http://www.myspace.com/gilssongs

Check out "tough love" i think I got what I was after on the solo, it's a bit zep!cool.gif

Tell me what you think..

What I liked:

Guitar tones, vocals, recording quality, drums

What I didn't like:

Poor synchronization

Has a nice classic rock sound to it that I really liked. However, it doesn't seem like the guitar part and drums quite line up in a few places. Also, the vocals are out of sync sometimes too. I'm no cubase/sonar expert, but if you use some sort of computer software, I bet these things could be edited to line up better. Practice will also take care of this, lots of practice. Overall, I could hear nuggets of good stuff in there.thumb.gif

• Members

Heh, odd situation posting in this thread about some rough, unfinished recordings that are frozen in time, error-ridden and unchangeable. The last, unfinished recordings of my mid-'90s Indie/experimental band Wormwood are now available at the link in my sig. These were put online for archival and sentimental reasons. It was a pretty weird and in some ways wonderful band, out of tune and out of time alot but in also very deft and complex, sometimes. The band story, or at least my version of it, is there as well.

Thanks!

Archived