The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Members

Originally posted by IHateRap

Thanks.....

What drum part in particular sounded off to you? I'm wondering if it's a "style" thing or if I botched something....

biggrin.gif

there is a piano break, and the drums come in kinda hard, then there is one complex transition that is just bluba-bababa or something like that smile.gif I find that somewhat off there. That's all.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey IHateRap,

Cool song, nice playing. My son came in the room, and gave his complements, that to me is a real good thing (no false accolades from the kids....)

As for me, I love rap...

Here's a sampladlic track that I did a few years back, someone used it on their youtube video, it's instrumental dub/hip-hop music (with scratching, which I think a lot of people around here also hate). I figure I've been posting here long enough, time to start sharing some music with the MP fam:

Hope some of y'all like it.

Farewell,

dahkter

• Members
Originally posted by Magpel
My group The Sweet Clementines has a couple of new acoustic demos on a new soundclick page:Thanks!
Finally have some time to listen to content in this thread - ain't the holidays grand.

Magpel - really pretty. I've listened to "Submarine", "Mary Goes 'Round" and "The Most Incredibly Sugar Man" so far. I like how the tracks are short and sweet, not too far past three minutes each. Really lovely recording - you have a very nice sounding living room! You've mentioned your mics earlier, what did you track to?

I like the tranquility of the intro to "Submarine", the way it kind of "rocks" gently. The solo in "Sugar Man" is super-cute too, really well written and I like the auto-wah effect you've got on it - catches the ear and a nice contrast to the acoustic texture.

Good lyrics too, dig the harmonies in "Mary Goes 'Round". Gee, no negatives from me music-wise on this - wish I could write songs like these! smile.gif

• Members

Thanks, Boffinry, I really appreciate your specific appreciations. We're finally making some ground with this band. We have a rhythm section now, which has occasioned the use of some electric guitar, though we still do acoustic trio shows as well.

I wrote Mary Goes 'Round, Submarine, and Liverpool. The other guitarist Chris wrote Sugar Man, Sweet Clementine, and Roundabout & Vague. On the guitars, we're very complementary. I'm the trickier player and thus handle most leads and noodles, but he's a much more solid and stable player than I am in both time and tone production. Plus he seemingly knows how to play every song ever, and is always pointing out what songs I'm unconscioulsy stealing from.

Originally posted by Boffinry

Finally have some time to listen to content in this thread - ain't the holidays grand.

Magpel - really pretty. I've listened to "Submarine", "Mary Goes 'Round" and "The Most Incredibly Sugar Man" so far. I like how the tracks are short and sweet, not too far past three minutes each. Really lovely recording - you have a very nice sounding living room! You've mentioned your mics earlier, what did you track to?

I like the tranquility of the intro to "Submarine", the way it kind of "rocks" gently. The solo in "Sugar Man" is super-cute too, really well written and I like the auto-wah effect you've got on it - catches the ear and a nice contrast to the acoustic texture.

Good lyrics too, dig the harmonies in "Mary Goes 'Round". Gee, no negatives from me music-wise on this - wish I could write songs like these! smile.gif

• Members

Originally posted by IHateRap

I'm always looking for advice: biggrin.gif

www.switchrocks.com/Songs/Triumph.mp3

Finally a hard-rock-guitar style instrumental with some interesting backtracks!

And, while you have to like that style of guitar-playing, I think to really enjoy this track, the arrangement of the guitar and other instruments goes a long way to making a long guitar-dominated instrumental interesting -- and THAT is a very tough job, judging from the hundreds of such tracks I've heard in the last decade.

I can't really think of any major suggestions or criticisms... sounds like you got pretty much what you wanted up there on the speakers!

Good job.

[PS... like others above, I like rap, too. Not all, of course, just like country, blues, jazz, bossa, etc. But there's nothing about the form that bothers me. So, I was nice to see that your mix was not mired in a ludditic retro-70s style, as so many other hard rock guitar instrumentals I've heard have been. wink.gif ]

• Members

I've uploaded some new songs. There are all demos I created in my room. Im quite proud of the content and the production. I did not use any computers in the making of these songs, everthing is real and mic'd.

myspace

I'd really appreciate some comments. Usually no one really has anything to say about my music and that really brings me down, but this time I really feel that some discussion is deserved.

Thank you.

• Members

Originally posted by dahkter

Hey IHateRap,

I figure I've been posting here long enough, time to start sharing some music with the MP fam:

Except that it's the HC family...

I really like that. Great groove and texture, kinda minimalist and gritty. I really like the video too!

• Members

OK, I just started doing some video stuff and put it on You-Tube. I deleted my first attempt due to bad lighting and using the camcorder's mic. These two songs are right out of the mixer into the camcorder's a/v input. I hope you like them. WARNING: This is Christian Music and it is not politically correct. smile.gif

I am using a left-handed Fernandes with sustainer (my Christmas gift) and an AKG headset mic. Keyboard is Triton Extreme 88. Harmony is from the TCHelicon VoiceWorks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA8REDRiK5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TARsIH53IE

Kenny

• Members

Originally posted by KB Gunn

WARNING: This is Christian Music and it is not politically correct. smile.gif

Well, it's not political incorrectness that often bothers me about "Christian rock" -- it's the lack of ambiguity, subtlety, and, in some ways, challenge in the lyrics and a marked tendency toward over production in the music.

However...while I'm not necessarily grooving on the sequences, your tunes are good, direct and bouyant pop rock, and you have a very agreeable singing voice. Good stuff!

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

Well, it's not political incorrectness that often bothers me about "Christian rock" -- it's the lack of ambiguity, subtlety, and, in some ways, challenge in the lyrics and a marked tendency toward over production in the music.

However...while I'm not necessarily grooving on the sequences, your tunes are good, direct and bouyant pop rock, and you have a very agreeable singing voice. Good stuff!

Thanks Magpel,

I couldn't agree more about the usual "Christian Rock". Overproduction often is obnoxious in the genre. The predictability is also bothersome. It seems that commercial CCM has little in the way of innovation. It has to fit the formula, or it is ignored by the record companies. I for one, don't listen to it because I don't want it to affect my originality.

Regarding the sequences, I would love to be able to have a live band. It would add so much dimension to the songs.

Regards,

Kenny

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Neil, I tried to play them a few times, and after it buffers, it only plays the first few seconds of each track for me. frown.gif

I swapped a song out and it started to do the same thing again. I had to re-upload them to MySpace and now it works good ....for now. smile.gif

• Members

Hello to all,

Here's something I wrote with my long-time partner (the vocalist on this track) a year or two ago. The mix isn't the best but then we tend to work at a pretty fast clip because the ideas come constantly whenever we get together.

http://home.earthlink.net/~wslangfor...o/goodrain.mp3

Here's another one just to show that our influences are all over the map. This one is my very, humble tribute to James Brown.

http://home.earthlink.net/~wslangfor...itTheFloor.mp3

thanks for listening,

Wayne

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by markwayne

View Post

Hello to all,

Here's something I wrote with my long-time partner (the vocalist on this track) a year or two ago. The mix isn't the best but then we tend to work at a pretty fast clip because the ideas come constantly whenever we get together.

http://home.earthlink.net/~wslangfor...o/goodrain.mp3

Nice track. Tasty guitar playing--the slide, the lead fills, and the trebly "chink" rhythm ("chink" as an onomotapoetic term, not an ethnic one...). I'd love to hear it with a live rhythm section.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tucktronix

View Post

Hi all,

I have some new tracks posted on my soundclick link in my sig. The most recent is "On The Verge", jazz-funk.

Indeed! Love the synth sounds. And all the playing/programming is tight and smart. I esp. like the breathy synth breakdown section.

Say, out of curiousity, when I lived near Rochester--this was quite a while ago, very early '80s--there was a well known regional fusion band, kinda legendary in the region actually, with a great sax player who did the circular breathing thing...I can't remember the name name of that band, and this isn;t the first time it has driven me a little nuts. They were right up your alley, stylistically, but of course maybe you weren't in Rottenchester yet...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Magpel

View Post

Indeed! Love the synth sounds. And all the playing/programming is tight and smart. I esp. like the breathy synth breakdown section.

Say, out of curiousity, when I lived near Rochester--this was quite a while ago, very early '80s--there was a well known regional fusion band, kinda legendary in the region actually, with a great sax player who did the circular breathing thing...I can't remember the name name of that band, and this isn;t the first time it has driven me a little nuts. They were right up your alley, stylistically, but of course maybe you weren't in Rottenchester yet...

Hey Magpel,

Thanks for listening...

Yep,, I was in Rochester back then. The band in question was Cabo Frio, the sax player is Terrance Bruce. They're still around, although not playing as often. The drummer, Curtis Kendrick, used to work part-time as a sentry in my high school.

• Members

Cabo Frio! Right you are! I knew it began with a C.

Yeah, really good band as I recall, though I only saw them once. And I think I might have seen them in Syracuse, though I could be confusing them with a Syracuse band that did excellent prog covers, like Supper's Ready in its entirety, etc. Now...what the heck was their name? Early '80s once again. If you come up with that, I'll really be impressed...

Don't get me started on the Rochester connections. A whole bunch of my current friends and musical associates to this day hail from Rochester, and most of them met at a high school for the arts. They're all in their early 30s, which is to say a good decade younger than me...were you born and raised there? When did you graduate high school?

Quote Originally Posted by tucktronix

View Post

Hey Magpel,

Thanks for listening...

Yep,, I was in Rochester back then. The band in question was Cabo Frio, the sax player is Terrance Bruce. They're still around, although not playing as often. The drummer, Curtis Kendrick, used to work part-time as a sentry in my high school.

• Members

I'd love to hear it with a live rhythm section.

Well, if you are ever in Atlanta, drop me a pm. We've been playing this with the band for the past year or so. I would try to re-record with live drums, etc.. but my little studio can't pull it off. Thanks so much for giving a listen and the kind words.

Wayne

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Magpel

View Post

Cabo Frio! Right you are! I knew it began with a C.

Yeah, really good band as I recall, though I only saw them once. And I think I might have seen them in Syracuse, though I could be confusing them with a Syracuse band that did excellent prog covers, like Supper's Ready in its entirety, etc. Now...what the heck was their name? Early '80s once again. If you come up with that, I'll really be impressed...

Don't get me started on the Rochester connections. A whole bunch of my current friends and musical associates to this day hail from Rochester, and most of them met at a high school for the arts. They're all in their early 30s, which is to say a good decade younger than me...were you born and raised there? When did you graduate high school?

Yep, born and raised here in the Rotten. You're probably older than me. I graduated high school in 1986. I'm pretty stumped on the name of that Syracuse band as I wasn't very much into prog at that time, at least not until the early '90's. I do remember a band around the early '90s that played a lot of Genesis covers called "No Camouflage". There is a very good well-known Genesis cover band from here called "The Waiting Room". They didn't start until the late 90's.

What are the names of the Rochester folks that you know. I may know a few of them. That high school that you were referring to is more than likely the Monroe School Of the Arts. The guitarist of one of my bands was born near NYC(Monticello, I think) and he had a band near that area.

Archived