The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is also in the "selling" topic above, but I think that to get some comment this topic is better....

Click on my Signature, and go for the high quality ( rolleyes.gif ) mp3 button, not the individual tracks....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc

some will hate it, some might dig it...

My Best Friend

http://www.artistlaunch.com/sleblanc

(yeah, I know the siblants are hitting hard)

you know, it's a bit more mellow than a lot of what i often listen to, and i like it... and what i DIG is that it seems you are just doing your thing... smooth...

• Members

Ted,

I'm not a professional by any means just a lurker and a listener trying to learn things.

I have listened to a lot of songs on here and they are all great. I wanted to comment on your post of Long Ride Home.

I loved the way you mixed it. I guess that's my favorite type of music.....acoustic, just guitar and vocals but anyway,

I just thought it was cool the way the guitar kept the song going from the bottom but you always had this higher guitar part dancing around in the top of my head.

Man, I wish someone could teach me how to do that stuff!! smile.gif I'm still working on how to get a clean sound first.

Craig

• Members

Hey, Cmala...thanks for the positive comments...

It was a rough demo take...in other words...the current argument is "club owners don't want a demo to sound like it was done in the studio, they want to hear what you sound like live"...so that was supposed to sound more or less "live". Which doesn't necessarily mean "sloppy", it just means "not slick" (you know, no 40 overdubs, choir, string quartet and all...

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

...so that was supposed to sound more or less "live"..

That was how it sounded. Like I was sitting there listening to y'all.

You did use more than one guitar track though didn't you? I mean, that's more than just one guitar playing right?

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Storm

Thanks, Ted! And I agree that the transition in "Lovely Day" is quite harsh, but it's intended to be so. It represents a moment of realization, where everything else stops, and an entirely new thought process starts. A revelatory moment, if you will - and I'm sure you will. biggrin.gif

The song is about a raver in the '90s, who suddenly has an epiphany about what's really going on. wink.gif

See... this is what happens when you take too long to go back to a clip thread. frown.gif

I was just finishing up "Lemon Frosting" when I read your above post. When I listened to "Lovely Day", that second movement made complete sense to me - now I wonder if I would've felt similar to Tedster had I just heard it cold. Still... both tunes are excellent. Are you performing everything on the recordings?

Originally posted by Tedster

I think I've posted it before, but I can't remember where (or why, for that matter)

The Way It Goes

That song has both a rich voice and composition. cool.gif

Originally posted by GeoffonTour

Some stuff I put together on cubase with some fairly basic plugins, more guitar stuff coming shortly

www.myspace.com/geoffontour04

Geoff.. I was pleasantly surprised to hear this. I too was disappointed that "How Could They" cut off. So... just to clarify... did you use VST instruments in Cubase for all this stuff? I kinda like the piano sound in "Still Awake".

This is all I'll get through tonite... I'm looking forward to listening to everything else thread (although I'll obviously skip over my own stuff). smile.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Jimbroni

Alfonso's stuff is magical. I'll be placing an order. thumb.gif

love.gif Sincerely I couldn't imagine a nicer response in such a synthetic comment! I've put a lot of time, heart and...money, just to come out with something that could reflect my musical personality with no compromise, different from the sound design and documentaries scoring that have to take in account decisions taken from others...

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc

yeah Alfonso's music is beautiful stuff, love the rhythms...could be a soundtrack to lots of different things

biggrin.gif Good comments make you happy, it might be an "ego" thing, but I think it's human...

The rythm parts in this CD are mainly coming from real instruments, I have some ethnic percussions I bought around, sometimes they are sold as "souvenirs" but sound good, then bongos, shakers and everyday objects.

But a big part is coming from dsp modular patches made to emulate skin and body of a percussion with random generators humanizing sequences, and a mix of the two things, real sources processed through granular and other forms of synthetic treating. This concept is found also in some pads. The first track, Polyverse starts with a glassy sound, I used a "sample oscillator" loaded with a recording of a glass (water tuned) played with my finger, much better than a single-cicle wavetable sound...then obviously some formant filters make it talk at some point...

Most of the synth sounds you can hear come from modular instruments built from scratch, mixed synth techniques and you won't find anything that could be defined as a "preset"....I started composition from timbral research.

Dear forumites, I'm happy that this work is starting to be heard and appreciated, "magic" and "beautiful" are definitions that can make your day (week, month!) biggrin.gif

Thanks!

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Some early stage demos of my new band can be heard via the link in my sig. Warning: if you're allergic to MySpace, don't click...

We're using these demos to try to recruit a rhythm section (done!) and get gigs, of which we've only had two to date. As I say, early stages.

• Members

Originally posted by 1manband

My personal favorite is Never Would Have Thought.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=100469

1man, I had a chance to listen to a few of your tracks, and while I'm not really fluent in the genre, I did really like the textures an grooves on "Never Would Have Thought." I don't know if that main rhythmic element is a step sequenced thing or a tempo-sync delayed thing...it's cool, and it all seems nicely layered.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Thanks Ani!

You're welcome Craig, but the real credit for digging this thread up out of the depths of the earth goes to "the stranger". He replied in the other thread I started about a sticky request. He did the work in finding the thread; I just bumped it when the link surfaced. thumb.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

1man, I had a chance to listen to a few of your tracks, and while I'm not really fluent in the genre, I did really like the textures an grooves on "Never Would Have Thought." I don't know if that main rhythmic element is a step sequenced thing or a tempo-sync delayed thing...it's cool, and it all seems nicely layered.

Hi Magpel. The rhythmic element I think you are talking about is that old drum loop through a vocoder trick. Thanks for checking it out. I'm looking forward to checking out the music here.

• Members

Not at all, Magpel...matter of fact, "Dead" is the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard the opening notes of "Sweet Clementine"...the very first thing I thought was "Jerry Garcia is supposed to be dead, but, he's singing that track!"...very reminiscent of acoustic Dead. Nice harmonies...catchy tune!

The guitar work on "Liverpool" is excellent...very sweet, and when your gal singer comes in with the harmonies it just makes you sit back and go "ahhhhh"... thumb.gif Damn, tell me all about the mics used on your acoustic...all that stuff...it sounds really nice. Above all, the song has really cool vibe to it...it conjures up a really comfy picture in my head. This is my fave tune of 'em all...

"Roundabout" to me says "Arlo Guthrie" for some reason, which is cool...maybe also reminds me a little of Jim Croce's "Workin' at the car wash blues"

I love the little neo-classical guitar thingy in "Mary Goes Round"...that quick little transition...and the little neo-Django lick at the end...

Archived