The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://www.myspace.com/mercurycatfish

Mercury Catfish has setup a myspace finally. We have couple of new/old tunes that I haven't posted before.

Nullis Pretii is a silly power pop tune that we did in 2000, from first album that we still haven't published on the web.

Quicksand in Pakistan is a new tune that I wrote for the next album we are recording. This version is just preliminary live recording.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Throatsinger

View Post

Ready for something completely different?

Here's an improvised duet that my pal John Pascuzzi and I performed in LA last month: http://khoomei.com/mp3s/sklarscuzzi.mp3

John's playing the Tuvan igil, with me singing.

Enjoy,

I like it. The psuedo-Tibetan-monk vocal is great. I don't know what a Tuvan igil is, but I assume it is played with some sort of bow?

For improvement, IMHO it could use something to break up the vibe in the middle. As a dumb American, my attention span just isn't long enough for the whole thing. Take this with a grain of salt though. I know this kind of music isn't meant to have different feels just to appease bored Americans.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by amplayer

View Post

I like it. The psuedo-Tibetan-monk vocal is great. I don't know what a Tuvan igil is, but I assume it is played with some sort of bow?

For improvement, IMHO it could use something to break up the vibe in the middle. As a dumb American, my attention span just isn't long enough for the whole thing. Take this with a grain of salt though. I know this kind of music isn't meant to have different feels just to appease bored Americans.

Huh? I wasn't paying attention... musta drifted off biggrin.gif

An igil (Tuvan- ????) is a two-stringed Tuvan musical instrument, it is called "ikil" in western mongolia, played by bowing the strings. The neck and lute-shaped sound box are usually made of a solid piece of pine or larch. The top of the sound box may be covered with skin or a thin wooden plate. The strings, and those of the bow, are traditionally made of hair from a horse's tail (strung parallel), but may also be made of nylon. Like the morin khuur of Mongolia, the igil typically features a carved horse's head at the top of the neck above the tuning pegs, and both instruments are known as the horsehead fiddle.

The igil is held nearly upright when played, with the sound box of the instrument in the performer's lap, or braced against the top of his or her boot. Playing technique involves touching the strings with the nails or fingertips, but without pressing them to the neck. The igil has no frets. The bow is held with an underhand grip. - Wikipedia

Here's a video of John rockin' out:

It's an awesome instrument that I'm working on learning, too. Glad you enjoyed my throat-singing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This song tells the story of how my friend Charlie restored an IH TD18A tractor. It also asks the philosophical question: would you rather be an old tractor or an old man?

http://www.folkalley.com/openmic/song.php?id=1549

This cut is from my CD "Single Malt" It's on iTunes at

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...stId=165063321

I hope you like it!

Dennis

• Members

Good tune Tedster (the way it goes). Sent you a pm on that!

I'm always happy when folks crtique my stuff. Pretty much old style vocal blues & jazz. If you'd like a listen, go to my link in my signature. I sure hope you enjoy the tunes.

I'll be back to listen to more tunes as time permits. Peace & respect all.

ps: TS... odd, interesting and fun!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=367205&t=4435

the above link is to a tune called Sweet 'tang... not what I usually do... Lemmee know if you like it.

• Members

This is a song from a project that I don't know what future will it have, as it's a group made of a strange combination of people.

A very old friend of mine wrote this French text many years ago (he's Italian, the choice of French was for the particular sound of it ), he was playing it on few chords on the guitar and I like it very much as it expresses very well the way a man who sailed all the oceans (as he did, most of the times alone) sees things in life and decides of what it's really meaningful, the contact with nature and a peaceful consciousness.

I remade the music and played it on my Scope system, all the the sounds are made with the Modular synthesizer except for a Vocodizer used for the....vocoder effect.

The vocals are from his woman's son, who's a nice guy that you never know where he is and how long he's gonna remain there....he's half French, that helped...

I always thought this text was very "Zen", I tried to get that feeling of something extremely simple and essential, a very peaceful and warm sensation of resonating memories.

We called this extemporary trio "Les Enfants Barbus"

http://www.alfonsodamora.it/L_E_B/les_jours.mp3

I hope you enjoy it. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got some instrumentals of mine on Soundclick here.

I do beats for hiphop mainly, along with some drum'n'bass & breakbeat stuff. At the moment I'm just doing this for me, but wanna find a lyricist to work with eventually & record for real. It's just a matter of finding one flexible enough.

Gary: lovin that song "Dark", is that you singin on it? I like how there's more attention to rhythm than usual for that kind of rock song.

Archived