The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Members

smile.gif Thanks, Ted, for the kind (and detailed!) observations.

The mics we used on the acoustics are nothing special -- AKG C- 3000s. There's also some Studio Projects C-1 in there as a room mic, 'cause we recorded this in my big vaulted ceiling living room, so I thought I'd grab some of the air too.

The guitars are pretty nice. Mine is a Larrivee L-05 and Chris's is a Martin D-15 that's really good for its modest price.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by doubleimp

Its kinda cool listening to the lack of editing in the Sweet Clementine tracks. Here's my link http://www.myspace.com/crashdavisgrizzlysmacks the newest song versions are the first two Darker and The Organ Cells.

Hey, cool stuff. great lyrics.

Nice textural changes in the verses of Darker, esp. when it goes to the verse that's just a grinding guitar and a monosynth line. Clever. The Organ Cells is just a neat tune.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike McLenison

See my sig. Sense of humor is an important ingredient in my playing. Hope you like it.

lol! Mike, man, you got some serious command of the blues guitar idiom there. "Respect," as the kids say.

• Members

Originally posted by Boffinry

Hi All,

A short excerpt of a tune on a little website of mine in progress. Trying to get back into music after several years working on all sorts of other things...

http://www.people.auckland.ac.nz/Dav...yer/media.html

Cheers :-)

Dave (are you Dave?..."dave's not here, man")

Sounds extremely well put together to me. Evokes disco, but in a lush, ambient way. And when the bridge changes finally hit, they are rewarding.

The thing I like is that there's nothing obscured about all the layers--they're all discrete. No fudginess.

I'm interested in knowing what synths/ROMplers you're using. What, example, is doing the swell that is kind of the signature sound? And what's doing the little, delayed, moogy noodle lines after the bridge? Or more precisely after the explosion sound?

Now somebody else better ocme in and start commenting or I'm going to start to seem like a self-declared thread moderator, when all I want to be is a voice in the choir...

• Members

Hi Magpel,

Thanks for the useful & reassuring feedback! :-)

The signature pad I cooked up on a Roland XP-80, being fed through the
stock Matrix Reverb AU plugin Apple ships with OS 10.4. Excellent
reverb BTW, much better than the synthesized reverbs in Logic Pro 7 IMO.
Everything was sequenced & mixed in LP7, using the standard plugins,
with one exception being the strings which was Garritan Personal Orchestra
fed through Lexicon MPX1 reverb (couldn't find the reverb I wanted in
Space Designer). The Moogy noodles are Logic's EFM1 plugin via overdrive
and phaser plugins.

Have a great weekend

smile.gif

• Members

Originally posted by blackpig

Good morrow. In my sig lies a link to a little piece of folksy stuff I recorded at home. It's a demo for a folk club I did a while back. Recorded on a Zoom MRS1266 with a Behringer B1 condenser mic and mixed on headphones.

wave.gif

Yeah, that's the stuff. Beautifully played and sung. As far as the recording and the mix, well, I'm not particularly particular, so don't ask me. I could hear it well enough to be moved.

• Members

Originally posted by Gone 6 days now

Magpel

I am listening to your songs and I think they're great. Sweet clementine is such a nice song.

Keep up the good work

Thank you! "Sweet Clementine" belongs to the other writer in the band, Chris. I'll pass the compliment along.

• Members

Magpel - checkout Liverpool NY. and Roundabout. Great acoustic sound! The vocals work well together, needs a little more work vocally so things mesh better or it is just the recording. The fem. vox were cutting a little short on some of the phrases. Very good sound for such a low budget.

Here comes my *metal* submission:

www.DescentIntoMadness.com/media.html

• Members

Originally posted by jjbraunius

Here comes my *metal* submission:

www.DescentIntoMadness.com/media.html

That's some proficient, melodic metal! I'm not n expert on the genre (though I do really dig Mastodon, FWIW).

I listend to a few of the May demos and watched one of the performance videos. I was really impressed with how well you guys are able to keep the woman's voice "on top" in your live sound, probably a tribute to her pipes as much as to your live rig.

Good stuff. Look like a pretty serious band.

• Members

I have a ccouple of rough demo's here...just guitars and drum machine. I'm debating whether to pursue them farther. I think they have some potential, but then again I'm kinda biased smile.gif

I have quite a few ideas to work them up into more complex pieces, but the question is....is the frame good enough to hang a picture in?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You can check them out here...

Songs

• Members

Originally posted by IHateRap

I'm always looking for advice: biggrin.gif

www.switchrocks.com/Songs/Triumph.mp3

I don't have anythng in the way of advice, but that certainly is an impressive track--the arrangement, the production, and, of course, the wailing.

Triumph! What an epic!

What's your role on it? Chief wailer or total auteur? I'm trying to figure if the drums are real or samples. I lean toward real, though it's the cymbals (always the cymbals) that make me wonder.

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

I don't have anythng in the way of advice, but that certainly is an impressive track--the arrangement, the production, and, of course, the wailing.

Triumph! What an epic!

What's your role on it? Chief wailer or total auteur? I'm trying to figure if the drums are real or samples. I lean toward real, though it's the cymbals (always the cymbals) that make me wonder.

Thank you for listening.

One man operation here. All the guitars are real (except the opening acoustic, I didn't have the means to capture a good acoustic sound) and everything else is programmed.

• Members

Originally posted by jjbraunius

Awesome guitar playing. Reminds me a bit of Marty's "Dragon Kiss" but with more taste. The drums after the piano brake had one sloppy transition, otherwise pretty good demo. You should try to get that to Shrapnel records.

Thanks.....

What drum part in particular sounded off to you? I'm wondering if it's a "style" thing or if I botched something....

biggrin.gif

Archived