The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Billster

I hear a kind of cross between some Allmans, some Max Middleton era Jeff Beck Group, and a jam-band style. You guys gigging around and about?

Thanks for the listen. Yeah we are gigging, but mainly around metro detroit.

• Members

Originally posted by paulskirocks

i'm digging your stuff... kind of reminds me of a band called haunted garage that was around socal at one time...

Hey, thanks. Is the band you mentioned still around?

• Members

This time I got to the Eleven Shadows site okay... "Undone" has a seductive hip hop meets 60s psychedelia thing going on. "Replay" has sweet, folky vocals, Robin Guthriesque [i think I just lost my chance at a rock crit union card for that one] shimmery guitars and seems to finish off in a big, empty cistern... What were you trippy dudes doin' down there, Ken? Hidin' from the man?

Nice stuff. wink.gif

Bill... self-restraint, huh? Obiously you didn't hear "Pretty Little Head." biggrin.gifThanks for the kind words!

• Members

Originally posted by midikid

Great topic.

I've just been listening through the stuff posted so far and I like what I hear. It's great to hear the variety.

Anyway, here's mine

www.myspace.com/midikid

It's just started so there are only a couple of tunes at the moment but there will be pics and biog soon!

Classy vocals in that British hipster baritone mode... Cale, Bowie, Ferry... the vocals really make "Child."

"For You"... more great arty pop vocalism. I like the sinuous syncopation of this one. Hints of Gabrielesque (I picked up a 12-pack of "-esque" endings at Costco, earlier today, get used to 'em) production touches. But the real draw is the singing for me. I really like it when there's that little edge of passion cutting through all that Brit-style refinement.

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

Here's some of my crap, found in the soundclick link. Some jazz-rock fusion, some jazz-funk, some R&B stuff.

"rite of passage" starts out dreamy with a bit of urgency percolating under, eventually blossoming into a kind of slinky, portamento brassy synth part that dominates its section, then gives way to a guitaresque (I warned you) synth lead, heavy on wobble wheel bends... some wild tones down low, there. Finally, the acoustic piano reasserts itself forcefully, beating back the synths and laying a heavy, muscular stamp on the transition into another portamento synth part, this even more snaky, and into a pumping little bass solo. It's a long track, but it covers a fair bit of musical ground.

arrelSpencer's "Two Wheel Man" has a nice propulsiveness, an agreeable acoustic boogie. "Big But" has a throwaway feel -- lots and lots of scratchy fuzz that distracts a bit from the goofy lyrics, which are a lighthearted but no doubt heartfelt paean to his girlfriend's allegedly ample derriere.

Fibber McGee (Ted's duo) does a nice job on "Long Ride", despite a somewhat impromptu recording (kind of like to hear it with a tad less 'verb on the vox)... It'd be fun to see you guys, I'll bet you do a nice show.

Helliphant's "Seas of Vinegar" brings a distinctly quirky sense of humor to progressive metal, with vocals that veer from neo-satanic mic-swallowing to goofy but intriguing vocal technique... you don't know whether to laugh or be scared... probably both. eek.gifbiggrin.gif Not your grandpa's neoprogressive dada metal... aggressive and sure of itself.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

Classy vocals in that British hipster baritone mode... Cale, Bowie, Ferry... the vocals really make "Child."

"For You"... more great arty pop vocalism. I like the sinuous syncopation of this one. Hints of Gabrielesque (I picked up a 12-pack of "-esque" endings at Costco, earlier today, get used to 'em) production touches. But the real draw is the singing for me. I really like it when there's that little edge of passion cutting through all that Brit-style refinement.

Many thanks for the kind words. Always welcome!

These tracks are really just sketches. We always seem to get started and then something else comes up. We keep promising to go back to them one day. And we will!

• Members

The other day, I was groovin' to a bunch of blue2blue's tracks - he's got a whole bunch of 'em on his SoundClick page. Really good, diverse stuff!

Today, I'm jammin' to Jimbroni's Mercury Catfish music. It has a great loose, improvisational vibe going on - a really free, open feel. Definitely some groovy material here - they're probably a great party band!

thumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members

Hi all Thanks to my goode and close personal friend greg anderson for givink folkeses a place to deposit theys efforts .
I gots a couple of new ones done in the "Brice the hairy-swedes'(one word) style" or his approach to zounds and how theys picked up by ear holse. ahh yas!
The very newest is TITLED : TWO WHEEL MAN a blues thang done in an old style as a one off. with an interesting bit at the front.

I like first takes for that added freshness. and once I got a goode take in the can it's on to the next one unless I'm doing it out for folkes then it's practice with a CAPITOL "P".
so two wheel man is, like all goode dittys; a story.
I got a cool little rocket bike I rescued from a junk yard and it now runs like a champ. Two Wheel Man hi speed

• Members

Originally posted by arellspencer

The very newest is TITLED : TWO WHEEL MAN a blues thang done in an old style as a one off. with an interesting bit at the front.

Straight up blues like this doesn't usually do it for me, but the vocals really carried it. Nice pipes. thumb.gif

Here's some sort of ambient electronic called "Time of Illusion" that's the first part of what will eventually be an album-length continuous production.

Hi Fi Stream

Download

• Members

Originally posted by plastic

Originally posted by paulskirocks:

>> i'm digging your stuff... kind of reminds me of a band called haunted garage that was around socal at one time... >>

Hey, thanks. Is the band you mentioned still around?

Haunted Garage, to the best of my knowledge, no longer exists. They were a strange live band with a lot of theatrics, and played around the Los Angeles area in the late '80s and '90s. A band I played with, Twist of Fate, played a show with them at (I think) Club Lingerie. My band was really heavy and dark, and had a singer who wore a Medusa's head full of snakes and spit blood.

In other words, it was a pretty good double-bill. biggrin.gif

• Members

Originally posted by fred zappelin

I like your stuff also....undone and replay

Nice vocals....

I like the drums and bass

and the spacy guitars..

tongue.gif

Hey, thanks!

I don't listen to the music in this thread as much as I really wish I could. The computer I have hooked up at home has the worst speakers - they're these tiny little Apple computer speakers, and one of them doesn't work - and I keep meaning to replace them with something listenable.

The other way to listen to it is to sneakernet 'em over to the other computer. This one is having trouble with the soundcard, and I can't play them in iTunes. So here, what I have to do is convert them from MP3 to AIFF and then play them in Pro Tools.

Archived