The Return of...Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!

Anderton

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by longbongsilver View Post
Got some instrumentals of mine on Soundclick here.

I do beats for hiphop mainly, along with some drum'n'bass & breakbeat stuff. At the moment I'm just doing this for me, but wanna find a lyricist to work with eventually & record for real. It's just a matter of finding one flexible enough.

Gary: lovin that song "Dark", is that you singin on it? I like how there's more attention to rhythm than usual for that kind of rock song.
thanx thats an old song but thanks for noticing the drum chops i normaly
play very choppy however that song is old hat soon there will be new songs
on the site and that singer will be on them again I am spoiled to have such
vocal talent in my band thanks again

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FireWithin

View Post

any takers?confused.gif

Blank Stare Of Death: I like pretty heavy, low tuned music, so I was glad to hear some low rumbling riffs here and there. I realize these are live demos, but the guitars are thin and buzzy, the bass guitar is quiet, and the drums don't sound very good. The playing is good, just the sound quality is the issue. Also, the band sounds a bit loose. I like metal bands with a really tight sound (Metallica, Pantera, HELMET), so that might just be a completely subjective comment on my end. Other than that, it sounded pretty cool. smile.gif

Darkest Solitude: Really enjoyed the bass intro, but wish it was louder in the mix and less muddy. Bass guitar is always difficult to record. Better sounds on this one with the guitars. I liked the descending guitar harmonies and different tempos at 1:22-2:16. The vocals for both songs sound like they fit the genre, but I can't understand a single word. I guess that's kind of the point of death metal, though! I really like the riffs between 3:29 and 4:39. thumb.gif

For reference, my favorite metal groups are Metallica (80s), Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, S.O.D., Prong, GODFLESH, Crowbar and HELMET.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scottorrmusic

View Post

Greetings, I am new here... i think...

Artist: Scott Orr

Songs up for stream at www.myspace.com/scottorr

Whole album and info up at www.scottorrmusic.com

MILES FROM TODAY

New album available August 28th, 2007

via iTunes, Amazon, CDBaby, etc.

Take care all!

Really good songs. Your voice sounds to me like a cross between Bruce Springsteen and Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20, which I think is an appealing sound for your genre. My favorite tracks from your main website were "What A Way To Go" and "I'll Wait For You."

• Members

Tim: "breathing down" is the best on your myspace IMO. Everything just seems to go together, I ended up repeating it a few times.

"sherry baby" was funny to me, dope solo btw.

"racer"...I woulda dropped the opening synth part, too shiny on its own. Grew on me afterwards. Nice touch with the talkbox backup.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string

View Post

Blank Stare Of Death: I like pretty heavy, low tuned music, so I was glad to hear some low rumbling riffs here and there. I realize these are live demos, but the guitars are thin and buzzy, the bass guitar is quiet, and the drums don't sound very good. The playing is good, just the sound quality is the issue. Also, the band sounds a bit loose. I like metal bands with a really tight sound (Metallica, Pantera, HELMET), so that might just be a completely subjective comment on my end. Other than that, it sounded pretty cool. smile.gif

Darkest Solitude: Really enjoyed the bass intro, but wish it was louder in the mix and less muddy. Bass guitar is always difficult to record. Better sounds on this one with the guitars. I liked the descending guitar harmonies and different tempos at 1:22-2:16. The vocals for both songs sound like they fit the genre, but I can't understand a single word. I guess that's kind of the point of death metal, though! I really like the riffs between 3:29 and 4:39. thumb.gif

For reference, my favorite metal groups are Metallica (80s), Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, S.O.D., Prong, GODFLESH, Crowbar and HELMET.

I appericate the review. We are in the process of recording a CD so that will fix the quility. As for the tightness, its not just your opinion, it reflects mine too. Something I wish we could dial in better.

Again, thanks for the review!

• Members

FireWithin: No problemo! smile.gif

How about a review in kind? biggrin.gif Not sure if my poppier rock stuff is your bag, but I wouldn't mind some critiques anyway. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by longbongsilver

View Post

Tim: "breathing down" is the best on your myspace IMO. Everything just seems to go together, I ended up repeating it a few times.

"sherry baby" was funny to me, dope solo btw.

"racer"...I woulda dropped the opening synth part, too shiny on its own. Grew on me afterwards. Nice touch with the talkbox backup.

Thank you very much for your comments, longbongsilver (cool name too biggrin.gif).

I like "Breathing Down" a lot too. I consider that my 'mature' song, while "Racer" and "Sherry Baby" are my 'young' songs. A lot of people get a kick out of the car/bike line in "Sherry," so I'm glad you enjoyed that too. I might drop the synth intro of "Racer" for it as a single, but keep the fade in riff for the actual album. I have a whole concept for it, so that's why it fades in like that. And the 'talkbox' is actually a vocoder (mic through keyboard effect).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string

View Post

FireWithin: No problemo! smile.gif

How about a review in kind? biggrin.gif Not sure if my poppier rock stuff is your bag, but I wouldn't mind some critiques anyway. thumb.gif

Thank you very much for your comments, longbongsilver (cool name too biggrin.gif).

I like "Breathing Down" a lot too. I consider that my 'mature' song, while "Racer" and "Sherry Baby" are my 'young' songs. A lot of people get a kick out of the car/bike line in "Sherry," so I'm glad you enjoyed that too. I might drop the synth intro of "Racer" for it as a single, but keep the fade in riff for the actual album. I have a whole concept for it, so that's why it fades in like that. And the 'talkbox' is actually a vocoder (mic through keyboard effect).

Breathing Down - music is great. I'm no singer but it sounds like your higher vocal line might have been flat in a few spots.

Racer - awesome. Really enjoyed the guitar solos!

Sherry Baby - no doubt, my favorite song on your site.

The drums sound really good, what program/module are you using? I am using LeafDrums with the wav files replaced with a kit from Natural Studio's drums. Listen to "feed the grave" at www.myspace.com/deathchantmusictracks ....The sounds are pretty good but I'm having a hard time with beats as fast as those and not having them sound so much like a drum program, etc. Really fustrating!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FireWithin

View Post

Breathing Down - music is great. I'm no singer but it sounds like your higher vocal line might have been flat in a few spots.

Racer - awesome. Really enjoyed the guitar solos!

Sherry Baby - no doubt, my favorite song on your site.

The drums sound really good, what program/module are you using? I am using LeafDrums with the wav files replaced with a kit from Natural Studio's drums. Listen to "feed the grave" at www.myspace.com/deathchantmusictracks ....The sounds are pretty good but I'm having a hard time with beats as fast as those and not having them sound so much like a drum program, etc. Really fustrating!

Thanks for the input!

I think you are right about the higher vocals on "Breathing." It's tricky for me to sing along with myself. I have a tendency to want to double what I already recorded rather than harmonize, so sometimes I will turn down the main vocal, rehearse the harmony with a keyboard, then sing it without hearing the other vocals.

Yeah I like the "Racer" solos. Just a touch of delay and some soul (hehe). Simple but effective. smile.gif

The drums I used on all three songs are from PG Music, which is a Canadian company. They make a multi-track recording/MIDI program called PowerTracks Pro Audio, which is what I used to record the songs. The drums were from CD-ROMs they sell (Rock, Blues, Jazz). They are recorded on four tracks with a guitar, keyboard, bass guitar and drums all separated. I just wiped the other instruments, looked at the tempo of the song, added my own parts, then re-edited the drums to match how my songs stop and start (a lot of cutting and pasting).

I'll check out your Death Chant stuff next.

• Members

We've been doing the cover thing around Atlanta for about 3 years now. Three piece with bass synth pedals and guitar synth. Probably one of the best singing drummers around. Check out The Real Me on the audio page. Sometimes I just turn around and watch this guy! This demo was my first attempt at computer based recording. I really learned a lot and can't wait for the next go round.

Thanks for listening,

Dan

Under The Radar

http://www.undertheradarband.com

• Members

Huh, I don't think I've done one of these, although I think I posted this here once?

Check this out, although it was impromptu/thrown together:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

So what kind of music is this? It sucks because it's too Hendrixy-chordal, and my Paul McCartney Wings influence is too strong on the hook, and the little connector/bridge bit seems a bit unimaginative... The solo was non-inspired as well, the change didn't happen right and I didn't catch it quick enough, lame on my part, and I should have made my vibrato more exaggerated so you could hear it live on the main theme's bends... the structure is too self-obvious, and

.. and I'll stop.

(this is how I've erased 100+gigs of music over the past few years...)

"yeah".

• Members

Hey Chip,

Go find some happy juice or something. Fresh squeezed orange juice maybe. Go to Florida and find a little greasy spoon breakfast joint where the juice is still in the orange when you order a glass full.

Seriously man, I've had this conversation with strangers and acquaintances and close friends. We're our own worst critics. I'm guilty of it, my best friend (who is a much better musician than I am) is even more guilty of it, and people I meet who amaze me at open jams are guilty of it.

There's nothing in that video that distracts from the music. Too much influence showing, not enough vibrato, blah.gifblah.gifblah.gif Stop getting down on it because you know the intent of every note. The spirit of the music is a wonderful thing.

Sheesh.

What kind of music is it? Large ensemble electric rock. "Guitar orchestra" sums it up pretty well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by longbongsilver

View Post

Any thoughts on mine?

Hey LBS, I'll chime in here. I sampled a few of your tracks and I think you've got some nice drum programming and dark moods. I thought Breakthrough had a nice, simple, very listener friendly kind of sound. A lot of the songs seemed pretty crowded in the mix. You might want to try some other sounds in place of the piano, it's pretty MIDI Piano sounding. There's also a lot of material on the page, 28 songs? That's a lot to check out as a listener. Maybe be a little choosier when posting. Overall, I think there's potential here. Keep at it and use your critical ear and try to listen objectively. Do A/B comparisons with your stuff to songs from the Pros that are close to what your trying to do.

And with that I think its only fair to offer up my own stuff for comment.

http://www.jimmyjargon.com/audio.html

Some of this stuff is starting to sound kind of dated to me, the DnB sounds in particular. All comments are appreciated. Be warned, this is Techno/DnB type stuff here folks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by marcher5877

View Post

on my myspace, check it out, let me know what ya'll think.

www.myspace.com/matthewarcher

Checked out your stuff. Liked the first song, the others were really trippy!!

We've been recording allot. I have 2 of the songs to go on the cd up on our myspace page. Its not mastered and we are working at mixing it correctly. Please check out the mix and give pointers, likes, dislikes. Comments on the music are always appericated too, thanks. thumb.gif

www.myspace.com/firewithinmusic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

A good way to listen carefully to a lot of stuff of mine... wink.gif

CD Baby has got some offers where you can chose 3 different CD's and pay 5$ each.

I decided to put my CD some time in that pool, so if you plan to buy this CDBaby deal because you have in mind also other stuff, you can get a copy of mine for 5 bucks.

This is the link where all the CD's falling in this category are listed. My CD's link is in my sig. If you just add to your cart 3 of the listed ones the price will drop down.

http://cdbaby.com/sale

smile.gif

Archived