Of your acquisitions, name some stand-outs which still offer some "bang for the buck"

GAS Man

• Members

So I'm talking about the guitar where after you've opened the package, tearing off all its shiny wrappings wink.gif, had your way with it, eventually put it aside, but it never has made it off into hibernation storage because you keep reaching for it so it stays out on the ready for you.

I'll nominate just one of my own for this post and start with my American Special Telecaster. I got it for just a hair over 7 bones, I selected one that only weighs 7lbs, 6oz. It's resonant, not too sharp sounding for a Tele and has a great tone from the neck when I want to enjoy some sweet clean tones.

US11014828-detail1-l.jpg

I have other Teles, north and south of this ones status, but this is the one I've bonded with the most. Light, vibey, resonant and still a bit edgie but in the right way.

So what are some that seem to have some real "staying power" with you?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by wagdog View Post
Baja tele for me. I set it aside for a few weeks sometimes, but always come back to it. It's neck pickup tone has an incredible depth to it. That and I love the neck.
Heh, I love that the Baja made this list. It really speaks for how broke my ass is that the Baja is the most expensive acquisition I've ever made icon_lol.gif
Totally agree with you on the neck pickup. It's just a wonderful guitar all round.

Personally, of my own acquisitions, I'd say all of my Squiers offer plenty of bang for buck. Some more so after loading them with Wilkinson pickups, definitely.

• Members

For the most bang for the buck I would have to say my 1967 Gibson ES-335. Cost $0s.

My Parker and Alvarez acoustics would also fall under that cateogory. They were $400 and $300, and to find acoustics that are in the ballpark I usually have to get near the $2000 range. I've been unbelievably lucky when it came to guitars.

• Members

A few months ago I found a new Schecter S-1 Custom that had been hanging on the wall at a local dealer for over a year for $300...I originally bought it to flip it on eBay, but after playing it decided to keep it.

If you can find any of the Schecter Custom Series guitars in the $300-$400 range, it's a great deal and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Many years ago, I snagged a new Gibson SG Classic from AMS for $599 on a closeout...another great guitar at an incredible deal.

• Members

Ok, I'll take the piss out of this thread. Affinity Squire Strat Starter Pak purchased for $75 on Craigslist:

Affinity.jpg

I immediately slapped a pickguard loaded with Dragonfire Screamers onto it for another $50:

dual_bucker.jpg

And it is an 80s METAL MACHINE! I couldn't have asked for a better guitar for $125. I was going to sell the little amp that came with it, but it's actually kinda 'cute', and not a bad choice for headphone playing and other misc shenanigans.

I haven't had this much fun under 2 bills in I don't know how long. Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

• Members

yamaha pacifica 611hfm... my latest addition...love it

1-9.jpg

'81 ibanez as50... flawless guitar

2all.jpg

mij tokai love rock... not a super high end model... but just a great les paul

goldtop.jpg

mik g&l tribute asat classic... ballsy, funky tele

tele.jpg

blueridge br163... all solid woods... great sounding acoustic... play it every day

acoustic.jpg

so, most of my guitars really

• Members
001-1.jpg
This one. The neck has been on two guitars prior and it's still my fave even though I have another one just like it made by the same people, only mahogany. This body I made up out of some agathis as it was left in the storage shed when I bought this place. It's been thru GFS alnico strat pups, a set of SD everything axe pups and then GFS Mean 90's. I always left it on the bridge pup, so the neck pup went buh bye. Something about a single bridge P90 makes my testicles sweat.

• Members

For me, it would have to be this 1978 Cort prototype, that I got for $200 (1978 dollars of course). They were trying to position themselves as a contract manufacturer, and showing what they could do. So it's flame maple, five layers, 5-piece neck-through with state-of-the-art pickups. Plays easy and sounds great, and still gets plenty of action.

P1060291-1.jpg

• Members

This is my ultimate bang-for-the-buck guitar, my 1998 Epiphone LP Junior. I have a couple other guitars I can call "bang for the buck," but they aren't in the same area code as this little gem.

I won't repeat the price I paid, as I've probably thrown it around too much, but I got it really cheap, way cheaper than I probably should have.

But I will say again, it's a shame Epiphone doesn't make Juniors with P-90s anymore. These are great rock and roll machines. Pick one up if you get a chance. I'd recommend them to anyone.

epiphone_junior_004_900x675.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Flatspotter View Post
My bang-for-the-buck king is a PRS SE Soapbar II I got new for $450. I replaced the pickups, not because they sounded bad, but because I wanted noiseless. It has Lindy Fralin noiseless P90s now. Not just a great guitar for the money, it's a great guitar.

PRScouch1.jpg
I got one these for $150 on Craiglist. It's very light and fun to play. Best bang for the buck.

Archived