Why Strats have no equal:

fretmonster

• Members

I think it comes down to the style that one plays. Many, many, players have no idea how to play with overdrive or distortion and have zero insight into what a Strat does in that context. It is different strokes for different folks of course, but to arrogantly dismiss Strats as a suck guitar is simply foolishness.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I've long felt that if I could only have one electric guitar, it would have to be a Strat. About 15 years ago when I was buying a fancy version of a PRS CE22, I said the same thing and the sales dude said he used to feel the same way regarding the versatility of a strat until he became acquainted with the PRS and their rotary switching. Well, I bought that guitar, and it does sound great, but I'm still more drawn to a strat. It's such a different instrument compared to like a Les Paul. You have to be comfy with moving up the pickups for tones that you might get out of the bridge of a humboogie guitars, but with 5 p'up settings, right amps and settings and pedals, there's not much you can't do with a strat. Or at least, not much that I need to do.

• Members

I have'nt read this thread at all... but I just wanna say I'm a Les Paul fanatic for the most part.. but I LOVE Strats!!

I'm a little picky they have to be sss maple necked... but through a well dialed in amp they are pure Heaven! I don't care what anybody says.

• Members
Every one of these guys would sound fine on any other guitar. You can glorify the Strat all you want but the only thing I see in these videos are good guitarists who could sound great on any decent instrument, and the only inspiration I get is to practice hard to get to their level. Strats still suck in my book.

Geez I agree again. :) Not my favorite guitar. The setup is fine for some tones but I hate their shape. And I much prefer hardtails.

• Members

I can understand someone not bonding with Strats and preferring something different. However, it's borderline ridiculous to argue that the Strat hasn't become the defacto standard when it comes to the electric guitar. I don't believe there is any other guitar that, in its stock form, appears as widespread in as many different genres of music as you find Strats. I don't believe there is any other guitar that has been copied as pervasively as the Strat has been copied. I believe that the Strat shape/appearance is generally what comes to mind when you ask most folks to describe/envision an electric guitar. And no other guitar sounds like a Strat, unless of course it's been so heavily modified, that it essentially is a Strat (ex: in my mind, a Tele shaped guitar with a fulcrum tremolo and SSS pickup configuration is more Strat than it is Tele).

• Members
I can understand someone not bonding with Strats and preferring something different. However, it's borderline ridiculous to argue that the Strat hasn't become the defacto standard when it comes to the electric guitar. I don't believe there is any other guitar that, in its stock form, appears as widespread in as many different genres of music as you find Strats. I don't believe there is any other guitar that has been copied as pervasively as the Strat has been copied. I believe that the Strat shape/appearance is generally what comes to mind when you ask most folks to describe/envision an electric guitar. And no other guitar sounds like a Strat, unless of course it's been so heavily modified, that it essentially is a Strat (ex: in my mind, a Tele shaped guitar with a fulcrum tremolo and SSS pickup configuration is more Strat than it is Tele).

you can say exactly the same thing about a Tele and a LP.

• Members

No, no you cant. The Strat is hands down the most popular, most copied electric guitar design in history. Something like 50% of all guitars sold every year for decades now are Strat-based. Considering Fender sells 10+ times as many guitars as Gibson every year (Fender USA's annual revenue is more than five times that of Gibson), I would say it's safe to say Fender Strats probably out-sell Gibson LP's and Fender Tele's put together, I bet maybe even two-fold as many. Add to that the clones, and it stacks up pretty heavy in favor of the Strat.

• Members

I disagree. Teles and Les Pauls are not used as widespread throughout genres as Strats are. And neither have been copied as extensively as Strats. Go into any Walmart, or any store that sells cheap guitars. You'll find Strat copies, not Tele copies. Go into any pawn shop. You're most likely going to find more Strats and Strat copies than either of the other two.

My argument isn't about which is best, that's always going to come down to personal taste. It's simply that the Strat has permeated the music world and pop culture as the defacto standard electric guitar moreso than any other electric guitar, including Teles and Les Pauls.

• Members

It took me over a year to find a strat I loved. I thought maybe strats just weren't for me until I found the one I own. Now it's my #2, right behind my Ric!

I have a similar story although it took me longer than that to really love a Strat. I always loved they way they sounded in the hands of the big Strat heroes, Gilmour, Hendrix, etc., but I could never get mine to sound good. I really just didnt think I was a Strat person, but I kept going back to them trying to capture that great sound I loved on all those records. I findly found one that I love. Its just a 2007 USA Standard with Lollar pickups that I repainted. It fits like a glove and I cannot get a bad sound out of this guitar, no matter where the knobs and switch are. I tihnk some people just have to find the right one.:idk: I used to hate Strats too until I got a good one.

• Members

I agree, but so what? Just because they're popular doesn't make them the best. Every time I play a Strat, I end up thinking something would be better. I just don't really like how they feel, and they sound way too generic to me. I don't like them, and not everyone should. That's how subjectivity works. Saying that they're the best guitar ever is just wrong, especially if you're arguing that because they're popular or because famous players use them.

Archived