I Couldn't Take It Any More.......I left The Music Ministry

Bbreaker

• Members

After more performances of 3/4 finger picking by the Deacon on 4/4 music and told only to play the final chord of a phrase (because I "throw off the vocalist").........I resigned from the music ministry.

This other guitarist would use his own arrangement if he couldn't play what was written.

He avoided and skipped over any chords (other than 4 or 7 chords) that were followed by 2; 6; 9; 11 or 13, didn't pay attention to time signatures and would add chords to music that were not in the key of the song.

I resigned last night.

It didn't go over well BUT, another deacon who played bass with us sent me this response.......

"Bravo, Lou. Maybe someone will listen now that another primary musician has repeated the complaints of all the musicians who have tried to play with him. By the way, do you give lessons? "

I'm going to reach out to the other members and be diplomatic and Christian with my responses.

• Members

It sucks some of the music ministries are like that. I remember 10-15 years ago or so a musician at church got me to join the youth ministry and he was an older guy at the time maybe 50 or so and I was late 20s. He was into the 70s era Christian folk style music like Phil Keaggy and stuff and played acoustic guitar. I was playing sax since they didnt need another electric guitarist. Anyways a similar problem was the girl running the ministry was the associate pastor's teenage daughter that didn't play music herself, but wanted to be in control of everything. That didn't work too well with the older guitarist I was friends with and he bailed on them after some girl that was incompetant was trying to tell HIM how to play, and she knew literally nothing about music. I stuck it out at least for the outreach we were rehearsing for, but it was a joke though that they would put someone in charge who has no clue like that, I feel for you and I'm probably not playing in the music ministry today because of that bitter experience.

• Members

I just recently, after playing guitar progressively for the last 28 years, joined a little neighborhood band. We did a Christmas party and we have another performance lined up for May at the Yacht Club season opening.

But it was funny for me, as a long-time home hobbyist who'd usually only jammed with friends and relatives, to be in that "band" grouping and see the egos play out.

I also noticed in my group that it tended to be some of the lesser performers with A-type personalities that were being the bossiest while the most pro players in the group (the main keyboard player and drummer) maintained a real "whatever" attitude.

After I was done with our first performance, I was telling other folks I know, "No wonder the Beatles could only keep it together for 10 years". And we didn't even have anyone bring along a Yoko. :lol:

• Members

Today, I received e mails from everyone in my former music ministry except the boss.

I'm going to try to reach out and smooth things over without giving any false hope of returning.

My e mail reply to the ministry.................

"I don't want to put the negative cause on any single individual.

The Ministry was not as flexible as I thought it would be.

Being able to do as I'm told was a labor of love.

I did feel that much of the musical error's were laid on me.

With that in mind, which was weeks ago, I thought I could roll with it and do my part.

IMO, musical issues was not entirely my doing."

Lou

• Members

After more performances of 3/4 finger picking by the Deacon on 4/4 music and told only to play the final chord of a phrase (because I "throw off the vocalist").........I resigned from the music ministry.

This other guitarist would use his own arrangement if he couldn't play what was written.

He avoided and skipped over any chords (other than 4 or 7 chords) that were followed by 2; 6; 9; 11 or 13, didn't pay attention to time signatures and would add chords to music that were not in the key of the song.

I resigned last night.

It didn't go over well BUT, another deacon who played bass with us sent me this response.......

"Bravo, Lou. Maybe someone will listen now that another primary musician has repeated the complaints of all the musicians who have tried to play with him. By the way, do you give lessons? "

I'm going to reach out to the other members and be diplomatic and Christian with my responses.

Hey gods telling u you need a break from it. Enjoy the break and maybe if your church is big enough you get a call or two from other members you may not even know and get together with some new folks. Our church has open concert nights several times a year. It's awesome to see all the talent out there that gets together on these events.

• Members

Lou: the absolute worst band I ever was in was a group of self worshiping malcontents that called themselves a praise team. We stopped the service to put an end to the nonsense and have started over with a group of people dedicated to each other, excellence in music, and with the chief reason we gather firmly at the center. You'll find a new spot. It sounds like a blessing you are out of that mess.

• Members

maybe some changes will come about because of this. I work in a music ministry every week, and we have one of those guitar players, as well. He's a great guy, and his playing isn't terrible...it's just often not in sync with what is written, or with the other instruments. Given that it's a ministry, it's hard to just "fire" someone...but I totally get where you're coming from. I pray it all works out well!

You must smiteth his sad butt sayeth the lawd!!!!!!

Well, maybe it's a good thing that smiting has gone out of fashion. There are quite a few moments I was deserving of a good smite!!

Seems like a difficult situation to be in. I sometimes have to change the music to accommodate the level of talent I'm working with but I would always do so with the utmost respect for the players. I would never try to make it "their" fault. I hope it all works out for you. I always feel like I'm in worship when I play my guitar and I am deeply thankful of the talents He has given me. It's so natural to play in a worship band because of that.

• Members

Take care Lou. Fortunately our worship team knows its strengths and weaknesses, and works around the latter. Our main problem isn't internal, but wanting to do a lot more than we're "allowed" by those higher up the chain. Our head pastor just accepted a call to start a new mission church downstate, so we're hoping that will allow for a new beginning and that we'll finally be able to move into this century and have an all-contemporary service, which our players have wanted from the start.

Peace!

• Members

This might be a crazy question but why is everything that has to do with a church called a Ministry? I get that working with the underprivledged, the sick, the elderly and teaching the young are Ministries. We have the Music Ministry, the Landscaping Ministry, the Parking Lot Attendant Ministry...

And another thing. Why is it that whenever somebody comes to a reasonable conclusion God spoke to them? Really?

Seriously, we changed churches because of the Music Ministry. The word Ministry imples that it is open to all and all are welcome to contribute equally. This usually means that the dominant personalities and big egos run things regardless of talent. Music, especially in a church, is a team sport and the best athletes should be on the field (IMHO). Because I have been cursed with some musical education and a pretty good ear it's torture for me to listen to people play and sing out of tune, play the wrong chords, not follow the correct time signature. The impression I get is that it's all about feeding their egos. It ruins the worship experience, especially when I can look around the congregation and see more than a dozen people that are significantly more talented than those performing.

We moved to a congregation where I come out every week feeling uplifted and wondering if the "Music Ministry" is made up of professionals. What a great experience.

Sorry for the rant, carry on...

Archived