Kicked off Craigslist twice for Les Paul Goldtop Chinese Copy.

epi56ebony

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Should I start a Fake "Gibsun" Les Paul club Thread?"

funny... maybe gyp-son? Talk of smashing crap guitars I remember interview with Jeff Beck talking about original movie "Blow Up", had Yardbirds in it. Had him smash guitar, but gave him el cheapo that didn't even look that much like one he was supposed to be playing earlier....

Some old Tibetan saying goes like "Their are counterfeiters because there is such a thing as real gold"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's a guy on my Los Angeles Craigslist who's subject line is GIBSON! and then in the description he says "Knock-off"

Gibson 335 Cherry red - $500 (Torrance)

Hi

Selling my knock off Gibson 335. This guitar is stock from factory, plays excellent as is out of the box, sounds great , and looks immaculate. It comes with a hard shell Gator case ( $120 value). Its a solid and very well crafted and made guitar, I removed the tuners in pics to shaller style tuners. I was planning on upgrading to better pickups and hardware but I need the money to pay bills..uggg.. If interested please inquire.

Thanks for checking.

Al

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/3011178720.html

wonder when the Gibson Police will flag him...

update: actually just sent him an email to warn him of what might be coming his way.

• Members

Here's a guy on my Los Angeles Craigslist who's subject line is GIBSON! and then in the description he says "Knock-off"

Gibson 335 Cherry red - $500 (Torrance)

Hi

Selling my knock off Gibson 335. This guitar is stock from factory, plays excellent as is out of the box, sounds great , and looks immaculate. It comes with a hard shell Gator case ( $120 value). Its a solid and very well crafted and made guitar, I removed the tuners in pics to shaller style tuners. I was planning on upgrading to better pickups and hardware but I need the money to pay bills..uggg.. If interested please inquire.

Thanks for checking.

Al

wonder when the Gibson Police will flag him...

I think the word you are looking for is BUMP

• Members

Slash has been hocking Les Pauls in Gibson adds for years. Posing with a fake Gibson. Logo and all....... If you don't know the history of said guitar, you wouldn't know it was a fake. Seems Gibson is cool with that since it is serving the purpose of making them money.

• Members

Slash has been hocking Les Pauls in Gibson adds for years. Posing with a fake Gibson. Logo and all....... If you don't know the history of said guitar, you wouldn't know it was a fake. Seems Gibson is cool with that since it is serving the purpose of making them money.

He wouldn't be on their good side if he wasn't famous. If he was Joe Schmoe off some forum and he was pimping fakes for someone actively making them, he'd be sued. As it is, he's famous, and his fans never knew his guitar was a fake back in the day, so his signature moves a lot of product and he gets a free pass. I love Slash; in fact I started playing because of him... But I've always thought it was rather {censored}ty of him and Gibson to put forth such fiction.

• Members

Nail on head.

• Members

It is for sure is hypocritical of gibson to condone that and then go hunting for what is more or less the same thing.

Also tells you a lot about what slash must have really felt about gibson les pauls back in the day. He wasn't alone.

• Members

He wouldn't be on their good side if he wasn't famous. If he was Joe Schmoe off some forum and he was pimping fakes for someone actively making them, he'd be sued. As it is, he's famous, and his fans never knew his guitar was a fake back in the day, so his signature moves a lot of product and he gets a free pass. I love Slash; in fact I started playing because of him... But I've always thought it was rather {censored}ty of him and Gibson to put forth such fiction.

that is a huge reason I won't buy gibson products now. Their marketing. They are very misleading. Never honest about why they do the things they do. Just spin spin spin. Like the Obeche thing. Not explaining the process but just trying to pass it off as a "great alternative similar to ebony"....when it's nothing like ebony until they dye it and possibly bake it. There are many other examples of this type of thing from them. If they were just honest about that I would have so much more respect for them as a company. But they are so worried about offending the gibson traditionalists that they will use lies of omissions in their marketing.

• Members

Also tells you a lot about what slash must have really felt about gibson les pauls back in the day. He wasn't alone.

yep

lots of us wanted one but couldn't afford it.

I gassed in 1966 when they were 300 STG.

• Members

If you read the laws. its not illegal to buy or own a counterfit guitar.

The seller is breaking the law selling a counterfit. It doesnt matter is he

advertises its a fake or not. If the headstock has a fake logo its illegal to sell it

and you face fines and imprisonment if its sold. All you need is a fed to purchse it

and they can throw the handcuffs on when you receive the money for it.

Whether that would actually happen is a different story. We have many laws that arent inforced.

What I'd so is sumply sand off the headstock and paint it the same color without the logo.

If theres no counterfit logo, then you arent breaking any laws by selling it.

Its not the instrument thats going to put you in jail selling it, its the counterfit logo.

• Members

If you read the laws. its not illegal to buy or own a counterfit guitar.

The seller is breaking the law selling a counterfit. It doesnt matter is he

advertises its a fake or not. If the headstock has a fake logo its illegal to sell it

and you face fines and imprisonment if its sold. All you need is a fed to purchse it

and they can throw the handcuffs on when you receive the money for it.

Whether that would actually happen is a different story. We have many laws that arent inforced.

What I'd so is sumply sand off the headstock and paint it the same color without the logo.

If theres no counterfit logo, then you arent breaking any laws by selling it.

Its not the instrument thats going to put you in jail selling it, its the counterfit logo.

Wrongo.

Illinois law:

(a) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses fewer than 100 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $300 or less is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor and shall be fined at least 25% of the retail value of all counterfeit items but no more than $1,000, except as follows:

• Members

Actually, the 'open book' headstock is covered by a trade dress trademark, or whatever it's called. That's why Agiles got their gumby-stocks.

not everywhere. That's why greco's tokais burny's etc....all have open book headstocks...gibson never protected it in japan.

• Members

Wrongo.

Illinois law:

(a) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses fewer than 100 counterfeit items or counterfeit items
having a retail value in the aggregate of $300 or less
is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor and shall be fined at least 25% of the retail value of all counterfeit items but no more than $1,000, except as follows:

You missed the important part. 100 items with a total value of $300 or less makes it a misdemeanor.. My money says section (b) of that law defines what they consider a felony. Why don't you post that one and finish making the point? Or, does it not support your case?

• Members

Whatever the law is in whatever state or country, is there anyone who thinks counterfeiting is a good thing?

I think my feelings on that subject have been made very clear in recent threads. For my money, there isn't a hole deep enough or a hell hot enough for people that make/buy/sell fakes.

• Members

You missed the important part. 100 items with a total value of $300 or less makes it a misdemeanor.. My money says section (b) of that law defines what they consider a felony. Why don't you post that one and finish making the point? Or, does it not support your case?

Geez, RavenCAD, you back on this sh_t again?

FWIW, this time I agree with you 100%.

To the OP: you knowingly bought, and are now trying to sell at a profit, a counterfit guitar. I would expect you'd catch plenty of {censored} for it.

In fact, it suggests a bigger trend - and that is: people who are buying counterfits, making some authentic upgrades (thereby making them even more difficult to distinguish from the real thing) and then flipping them for profit.

Guys/Gals: if you want to own a counterfit, that's on you. You should eat that loss. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig and feeling you should be justified to recoup some/all/a little extra on the cash you dropped in doing so.

• Members

Well, most counterfeits are >$300 in original value, but it's your internet, so:

(765 ILCS 1040/8)

Sec. 8. Sentence.

(a) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses fewer than 100 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $300 or less is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor and shall be fined at least 25% of the retail value of all counterfeit items but no more than $1,000, except as follows:

(1) A person who has a prior conviction for a

violation of this Act within the preceding 5 years is guilty of a Class 4 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(2) A person who, as a result of the offense,

causes bodily harm to another is guilty of a Class 3 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(3) A person who, as a result of the offense, causes

serious bodily harm to, or the death of, another is guilty of a Class 2 felony.

(b) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 100 or more but fewer than 500 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of more than $300 but less than $10,000 is guilty of a Class 3 felony and shall be fined at least 25% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items, except as follows:

(1) A person who has a prior conviction for a

violation of this Act within the preceding 5 years is guilty of a Class 2 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(2) A person who, as a result of the offense, causes

serious bodily harm to, or the death of, another is guilty of a Class 2 felony.

(c) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 500 or more but fewer than 2,000 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $10,000 or more but less than $100,000 is guilty of a Class 2 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items, except that a person who has a prior conviction of this Act within the preceding 5 years is guilty of a Class 2 felony and shall be fined at least 100% but no more than 300% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(d) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 2,000 or more counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $100,000 but less than $500,000 is guilty of a Class 1 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items, except that a person who has a prior conviction of this Act within the preceding 5 years is guilty of a Class 1 felony and shall be fined at least 100% but no more than 300% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(e) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 2,000 or more counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $500,000 or more is guilty of a Class 1 non-probationable felony.

(e-5) For the purposes of determining the number of counterfeit items under subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e), the service marks or trade marks need not be an aggregate of identical marks but may be the aggregate of all counterfeit items offered for sale, held for sale, or used by the defendant.

(f) Unless otherwise specifically provided, a person, including a corporation, convicted of violating this Act shall be fined at least 25% of the retail value of all the counterfeit items. In addition to any fine, the court shall order that restitution be paid to the owners of the trademark, trade name, or service mark, and to any other victim of the offense.

A manufacturer of counterfeit items is guilty of a Class 3 felony for a first offense and a Class 2 felony for second or subsequent offenses and may be fined up to 3 times the retail value of all counterfeit items produced by the manufacturer.

(h) A person having possession, custody, or control of more than 25 counterfeit items or counterfeit marks shall be presumed not to be simply in possession of such, but to possess said items with intent to offer for sale, to sell, or to distribute.

(i) A state or federal certificate of registration of trademark is prima facie evidence of the facts stated therein.

(j) The remedies provided herein shall be cumulative to the other civil and criminal remedies provided by law.

(Source: P.A. 96-631, eff. 1-1-10.)

Highlight the part where it says it's fine to own one guitar. :facepalm:

• Members

Well, most counterfeits are >$300 in original value, but it's your internet, so:

Highlight the part where it says it's fine to own one guitar.
:facepalm:

Hang on now, I think we're exchanging friendly fire here.. I agree about it not being fine to own one. I thought you were saying the laws against it were minimal. As expected though, part (b) says:

(b) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 100 or more but fewer than 500 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of more than $300 but less than $10,000 is guilty of a Class 3 felony and shall be fined at least 25% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items

Much more substantial than a misdemeanor..

and Terry, I'll ALWAYS be on about this {censored}. Whenever it comes up around here, you can bet I'll be there. Think of me as HCEG's Batman.. A big black bird looking thing that that kicks the ever loving {censored} out of fakers when the crawl out of their holes.

• Members

Hang on now, I think we're exchanging friendly fire here.. I agree about it not being fine to own one. I thought you were saying the laws against it were minimal. As expected though, part (b) says:

(b) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 100 or more but fewer than 500 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of more than $300 but less than $10,000 is guilty of a Class 3 felony and shall be fined at least 25% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items

Much more substantial than a misdemeanor..

and Terry, I'll ALWAYS be on about this {censored}. Whenever it comes up around here, you can bet I'll be there. Think of me as HCEG's Batman.. A big black bird looking thing that that kicks the ever loving {censored} out of fakers when the crawl out of their holes.

Ah, didn't catch that vibe, and glad to know it.

FWIW, I was presenting the 'minimum' standards just to prove it was, indeed, ILLEGAL in my state. People go on and on about how 'your property' is always legal to own, and it's only selling it that's a legal issue. I wanted to show that (in this state, at least) that is absolutely not the case.

Archived