Kicked off Craigslist twice for Les Paul Goldtop Chinese Copy.

epi56ebony

• Members

The chinese were making porcelain "stuff"...when Europeans were eating out of cast iron..

As an interesting piece of perspective, when King Henry 8th married any one of his many wives, the bride and groom wore no underwear, had not ever bathed in their lives and the wedding banquet was salted cold fish most likely eaten off plates made from coarse bread. Attendees would have worn bouquets of herbs and flowers to disguise the smell.

Simultaneously, the reigning Chinese Emperor was dining on a range of fish, fowl and meats, spiced and seasoned with pepper, on plates made from fine porcelain, dressed from head to to in silk, his wives and concubines also wore silks and were doused in perfumes from the Arabs. Everyone had been bathed, massaged and manicured on a daily basis.

I mention this simply to point out that evolution of societies is a complex business and it is unusual for every one to be at the same stage at the same time. The same is true of invention. And fakery.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As an interesting piece of perspective, when King Henry 8th married any one of his many wives, the bride and groom wore no underwear, had not ever bathed in their lives and the wedding banquet was salted cold fish most likely eaten off plates made from coarse bread. Attendees would have worn bouquets of herbs and flowers to disguise the smell.

Simultaneously, the reigning Chinese Emperor was dining on a range of fish, fowl and meats, spiced and seasoned with pepper, on plates made from fine porcelain, dressed from head to to in silk, his wives and concubines also wore silks and were doused in perfumes from the Arabs. Everyone had been bathed, massaged and manicured on a daily basis.

I mention this simply to point out that evolution of societies is a complex business and it is unusual for every one to be at the same stage at the same time. The same is true of invention. And fakery.

that is very interesting. Have you read Guns Germs and Steel? It talks about possible factors that caused certain areas of the world develop technology faster than other areas.

• Members

An interesting article I read in an English language, Chinese newspaper pointed out that the high points of chinese culture and influence coincide very well with high temperatures on Earth. Global warming increases rainfall in Mongolia and central China allowing rice and other food production to increas and the general prosperity of China rises dramatically.

• Members

An interesting article I read in an English language, Chinese newspaper pointed out that the high points of chinese culture and influence coincide very well with high temperatures on Earth. Global warming increases rainfall in Mongolia and central China allowing rice and other food production to increas and the general prosperity of China rises dramatically.

dangerously away from topic but....

It is interesting that when the basic needs of a people are taken care of (food, shelter, security, etc) then inventiveness prospers.

My wifes family come from Sichuan Chengdu in SW China. Surrounded by mountains, fresh water and very high grade arable resources, they have always been inventors and have a 7000 year history of such on the archaeological record.

They are also known nationwide for having a more shall we say "Spanish" attitude to work than other provinces and life has been relatively easy. The downside is that they have a Latin temperament to go with it.

• Members

First - I was referring to your possible misuse of the phrase "idealogical property" in place of the more common "intellectual property". It was a joke, but i forgot to put LOL after it so I apologise. It has nothing to do with my politics.

Second - I am not confusing anything. The origins of porcelain and its first range of products are firmly Chinese irrespective of many attempts to fake it centuries later.

Third - you are right - very popular to fake in the 19th century Europe. And yes, faking has gone on ever since the first man made something someone else wanted.

Yes my pun wasnt noticed -"idealogical" instead of "intellectual". Thats the risk you take with puns. My remark about the chinese faking of western "china" was directed at the use of the GIBSON logo. Gibson didnt invent the guitar. Does that mean any guitar they make is a "FAKE"?? Hardly.Theft of a brandname is intentional deceit. The chinese fake a plethora of stuff and use the brandnames.

• Members

Yes my pun wasnt noticed - Gibson didnt invent the guitar. Does that mean any guitar they make is a "FAKE"??

Research is now inclined that the Chinese actually invented the stringed instrument that would later become the guitar. It seems it was either them or that it has middle east origins.

The world is a curious place.

• Members

Sometimes it's fun to just read the first and last pages in a thread like this to see where things end up, but not neccessarily how.

Like from this thread, I can now surmise that it's OK for the Chinese (and assumably the OP) to sell a counterfeit guitar because the Chinese may or may not have invented stringed instruments, but definitely invented porcelain, which the Europeans then stole.

• Members

Sometimes it's fun to just read the first and last pages in a thread like this to see where things end up, but not neccessarily how.

Like from this thread, I can now surmise that it's OK for the Chinese (and assumably the OP) to sell a counterfeit guitar because the Chinese may or may not have invented stringed instruments, but definitely invented porcelain, which the Europeans then stole.

thats a pretty good summary.

• Members

I can't be bothered to look. It doesn't make any difference to me. If it does to you, then look for yourself.
:wave:

If it doesn't matter to you, why did you post then? It doesn't matter to me and I doubt very highly it's ever happened. Regards, Steadfastly

• Members

You could maybe put electrical tape over gibson and list it as a Chinese Les Paul style guitar if you still want to sell it?

Let a buyer play it before they judge it based on where it was made and what it says on the headstock.

I've already put too much money into it now to sell it, at least for the moment.

Cost of Fake = $400, Cost of upgrades = $370

Still thinking of putting on a bone nut, better tail piece and better tuners

• Members

My this does get heated.

If one were to get this guitar, the honorable right thing to do would be to take it down to an engraver and have them do a nice job of engraving the word "counterfeit" under the Gibson name on the headstock.

BTW those fake LPs with made in USA can be had over here for $330 or less.....

• Members

My this does get heated.

If one were to get this guitar, the honorable right thing to do would be to take it down to an engraver and have them do a nice job of engraving the word "counterfeit" under the Gibson name on the headstock.

BTW those fake LPs with made in USA can be had over here for $330 or less.....

Sorry not honorable...I'm an OUTLAW!

"To live outside the law you must be honest"

• Members

im pretty sure youd need an expert to determine if it is fake. for all we know its a USA Gibson.

there was a case on the peoples Court recently where a guy bought a chinese 56 goldtop from a pawn shop sold as a usa gibson, the guy lost because he didnt bring an expert to say it was a fake. He said he knew it was fake because his friend who owns a music store looked at it and knew, but he didnt bother to get a statement from the guy so he lost. she said thats all he needed and he would have won, but he was sol. even the store reciept said Gibson USA on it so clearly they were in the wrong.

• Members

I bought one out of curiosity.. I'm keeping it. I changed out the pups and had a pro setup. It's a player and nothing else.Oh, I have 380 bucks invested in it. The pups were free.

Join the club.

Should I start a Fake "Gibsun" Les Paul club Thread?

• Members

Yes, there is an ENTIRE division of the police force just WAITING for things like this to come up so they can make their arrests. Because trademark infringement is a BIG problem that affects millions!!!

SOPA, PIPA, and it's 100 other names agree: the law should be more concerned with the rights of the few than those of the majority.

They'd just be sitting around writing traffic tickets otherwise.

Archived