Kicked off Craigslist twice for Les Paul Goldtop Chinese Copy.

epi56ebony

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fender needs to buy Gibson and open a plant in Mexico that makes low-cost Les Pauls with real Gibson headstocks. Put the counterfeiters out of business. You dont see nearly as many Chinese Strats.

Psssst. That's because they make chinese strats!!!!

(wanna buy one?)

• Members

^^You know what I mean. . .Or maybe not. . let me explain. I meant Chinese copies of high end USA Strats like John Mayer Sigs or something, that say Made In USA on the headstock but that are actually made in CHina. Basically the Fender equivalent of the fake LPs.

Its seems to me people dont mind the lower quality of the LP fakes. Everyone knows they're not as good as real Gibsons. They just want that almighty Gibson open-book headstock without paying an arm and a leg. Is that too much to ask Gibson? A line of import Gibsons for poor people pLease?

P.S. I download illegal copies of movies and TV Shows. Whats the jail sentence for that?

• Members

Did you actually read the Illinois law I posted verbatim above? In Illinois, it most certainly IS illegal to own and buy a counterfeit. It's right there in black and white.
:facepalm:

Horse pucky.

"A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale" Says nothing about owning one.

Yup right there read it. You guys got your panties in a huge wad over nothing, LOL!

Go arrest Slash and Gibson for marketing his guitar as a real Gibson. You guys have PMS or something.

• Members

Horse pucky.

"A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale" Says nothing about owning one.

Yup right there read it. You guys got your panties in a huge wad over nothing, LOL!

Go arrest Slash and Gibson for marketing his guitar as a real Gibson. You guys have PMS or something.

The next two words of your partial quote are significant.

• Members
Did you actually read the Illinois law I posted verbatim above? In Illinois, it most certainly IS illegal to own and buy a counterfeit. It's right there in black and white.

What if I decide to create my own Les Paul Goldtop chinese copy totally inside my garage? Will I go to jail in Springfield or will I go to jail in Beijing?

• Members

I used to live in Taiwan and wanted to buy a road bicycle, but all the bicycles sold there were too small. Trek bicycles are made there, but they export all of the XL frames. After talking to my bike shop a couple of times, an XL frame magically appeared, with an export only sticker on it. ;)

I had a friend who lived in Quingdao and he bought a couple "Gibsons" from the Quingdao Epi plant.

Lunchtime and after hours specials.
:thu:
Happens a lot in the toy world as well..

Not sure if they still do make them or if another factory is doing it now, as this was a couple years ago.

But, there is at least a few factories doing this in the Beijing area.

• Members

What if I decide to create my own Les Paul Goldtop chinese copy totally inside my garage? Will I go to jail in Springfield or will I go to jail in Beijing?

A good clean bisection would provide a piece for each location to have some business.

• Members

Again. Gibson has adds with a player in them posing with a fake Les Paul, logo and everything, to hock their Les Pauls. If it is making them money, they dont care. Guess Slash has them logo's put on to fool himself? If Gisbon doesn't care then why should I?

1. Your not Slash

2. Don't believe everything you see in adverts.

• Members

You missed the important part. 100 items with a total value of $300 or less makes it a misdemeanor.. My money says section (b) of that law defines what they consider a felony. Why don't you post that one and finish making the point? Or, does it not support your case?

(a) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses fewer than 100 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $300 or less is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor and shall be fined at least 25% of the retail value of all counterfeit items but no more than $1,000, except as follows:

(1) A person who has a prior conviction for a

violation of this Act within the preceding 5 years is guilty of a Class 4 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(2) A person who, as a result of the offense,

causes bodily harm to another is guilty of a Class 3 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(3) A person who, as a result of the offense, causes

serious bodily harm to, or the death of, another is guilty of a Class 2 felony.

(b) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 100 or more but fewer than 500 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of more than $300 but less than $10,000 is guilty of a Class 3 felony and shall be fined at least 25% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items, except as follows:

(1) A person who has a prior conviction for a

violation of this Act within the preceding 5 years is guilty of a Class 2 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(2) A person who, as a result of the offense, causes

serious bodily harm to, or the death of, another is guilty of a Class 2 felony.

(c) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 500 or more but fewer than 2,000 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $10,000 or more but less than $100,000 is guilty of a Class 2 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items, except that a person who has a prior conviction of this Act within the preceding 5 years is guilty of a Class 2 felony and shall be fined at least 100% but no more than 300% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(d) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 2,000 or more counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $100,000 but less than $500,000 is guilty of a Class 1 felony and shall be fined at least 50% but no more than 100% of the retail value of all counterfeit items, except that a person who has a prior conviction of this Act within the preceding 5 years is guilty of a Class 1 felony and shall be fined at least 100% but no more than 300% of the retail value of all counterfeit items.

(e) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses 2,000 or more counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $500,000 or more is guilty of a Class 1 non-probationable felony.

(e-5) For the purposes of determining the number of counterfeit items under subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e), the service marks or trade marks need not be an aggregate of identical marks but may be the aggregate of all counterfeit items offered for sale, held for sale, or used by the defendant.

(f) Unless otherwise specifically provided, a person, including a corporation, convicted of violating this Act shall be fined at least 25% of the retail value of all the counterfeit items. In addition to any fine, the court shall order that restitution be paid to the owners of the trademark, trade name, or service mark, and to any other victim of the offense.

A manufacturer of counterfeit items is guilty of a Class 3 felony for a first offense and a Class 2 felony for second or subsequent offenses and may be fined up to 3 times the retail value of all counterfeit items produced by the manufacturer.

(h) A person having possession, custody, or control of more than 25 counterfeit items or counterfeit marks shall be presumed not to be simply in possession of such, but to possess said items with intent to offer for sale, to sell, or to distribute.

(i) A state or federal certificate of registration of trademark is prima facie evidence of the facts stated therein.

(j) The remedies provided herein shall be cumulative to the other civil and criminal remedies provided by law.

(Source: P.A. 96-631, eff. 1-1-10.)

• Members

The Slash ads did take a bite out of Gibson's credibility. How can they say counterfeits hurt their business while using a fake to promote sales? Advertising gets more ludicrous everyday. How many TV commercials have next to nada about the ACTUAL product or service these days??? In an odd way the fakes help create the mindset that the original product is more desirable.

• Members

The Slash adds did take a bite out of Gibson's credibility. How can they say counterfeits hurt their business while using a fake to promote sales? Advertising is more ludicrous everyday. How many TV commercials have next to nada about the ACTUAL product or service these days??? In an odd way the fakes help create the mindset that the original product is more desirable.

Good God.. Is someone putting moron juice in the water cooler again? How many of you people are going to ask this very same question? Slash gets a free pass because a) He's SLASH! and b) most people don't know that 25 years ago, the Les Paul they saw him with was a fake. More than likely, that guitar is in a nice safe vault and hasn't been seen for years. Gibson has undoubtedly given him many NON-fake Les Pauls to play with.

• Members

Horse pucky.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering, but I'll try one more time:

Illinois law:

(a) A person who knowingly sells, offers for sale, holds for sale, or uses fewer than 100 counterfeit items or counterfeit items having a retail value in the aggregate of $300 or less is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor and shall be fined at least 25% of the retail value of all counterfeit items but no more than $1,000, except as follows:

Lordy, are you playing thick or really that illiterate?

• Members

Good God.. Is someone putting moron juice in the water cooler again? How many of you people are going to ask this very same question? Slash gets a free pass because a) He's SLASH! and b) most people don't know that 25 years ago, the Les Paul they saw him with was a fake. More than likely, that guitar is in a nice safe vault and hasn't been seen for years. Gibson has undoubtedly given him many NON-fake Les Pauls to play with.

yup

guitares00.jpg

http://slashsnakepit.chez-alice.fr/materiel/guitares/guitares.php

The fakes are right up front.

• Members

I know no one cares but today I put a bone nut and improved tailpiece on my Chinese Fake Les Paul.

This change has really improved the guitar. There was "pinging" with the old nut, tuning and with bends.

The last thing I'll do is put schaller tuners on but apparently they are backordered. My tech says these would be the best ones and would fit right into place.

So here are my upgrades

1. Classic 57/Classic 57 plus pickups

2. switchcraft selector switch and jack

3. improved bridge

4. improved tailpiece

5. bone nut

6. upgraded pots and caps

• Members
yup

guitares00.jpg
http://slashsnakepit.chez-alice.fr/materiel/guitares/guitares.php

The fakes are right up front.

Probably traded the "real" LP's for china white.....:cop:
Giving Slash a free pass is BS .. he should be held to a higher standard if he's a Gibson endorsee.
@ epi56--the tuners were the weakest link on the fake I had... changing the pots and caps will help too.

• Members

Probably traded the "real" LP's for china white.....
:cop:
Giving Slash a free pass is BS .. he should be held to a higher standard if he's a Gibson endorsee.

@ epi56--the tuners were the weakest link on the fake I had... changing the pots and caps will help too.

oops just edited my post, I did upgrade the pots and caps

also wasn't Slash just a poor musician when he got his fake? Just couldn't afford a new one so he had someone create the guitar of his dreams until he could afford the real thing.

From what I understand, his fake was custom made by a respected luthier and was a really fantastic guitar.

Gibson should at least tell the truth and say that the Les Paul Signature is based on a Les Paul Copy. I don't think I've ever read that in the press releases.

• Members

How can they say counterfeits hurt their business while using a fake to promote sales?

Because few people know he played a fake.

It'd hurt their credibility if anyone was aware outside of huge nerds on some forum.

As far as making the real thing more desirable, I agree. I've bought a number of SX, Agile, etc guitars only to have that make me eventually pick up the real thing. Everyone wins.

• Members

I've bought and sold many NEW Gibsons over the years. Gibson, The Late Don Weir's Music City, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend and Music 123 have all made money off me. No regrets either, in fact great happiness!

I bought one fake Chinese counterfiet from a guy who was taken in and trying to raise money to buy the real thing.

My conscience is clear.

• Members

I've bought and sold many NEW Gibsons over the years. Gibson, The Late Don Weir's Music City, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend and Music 123 have all made money off me. No regrets either, in fact great happiness!

I bought one fake Chinese counterfiet from a guy who was taken in and trying to raise money to buy the real thing.

My conscience is clear.

Well, as long as your conscience is clear, it's all good. No problem...

Archived