J.Backlund design announces new Korean made models!

Bruce Bennett

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mistersully

View Post

right down the bottom it says ..... Current planned color options are - Black, White, Red, Sea Foam Green, Pink, Butter Yellow, Light Blue and Natural Satin.

Clearly you read the articles wereas I just look at the pictures. icon_lol.gif

redface.gif

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bennett

View Post

no, the factory we have chosen is called "Unsung" they made some of the very best guitars through-out the 80-90s

and we have a seasonsed pro in there getting the job done for us. I'm not really allowed to give names.

but this guy is from a company that EVERYONE in the states has heard about.

That's good. I hope this factory has higher standards and treats it's workers fairly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt

View Post

best of luck getting the cash to get this moving! If they go into production, I'd purchase one of these!

9f40d50c46a80d349c507472253c26ba_large.J

This color isn't offered for the $500, is it? It appears that the blue offered is a baby blue, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt

View Post

Pretty much no drive-by advertising and no spamming. Spam=deceptive; people who are promoting a product subversively.

Drive-by advertising...someone whose only posts are those promoting their product of a device that locks a tremolo.

Spam...the owner of a banjo company who posts under a pseudonym about discovering a great six-string banjo that guitarists can play, then posts the website and a clip of an endorsing artist.

Bruce, Jim Soloway and others who actively participate in the forums have are typically allowed to discuss and promote their own companies and products, because they are amongst friends who have an honest interest in supporting them. Watching some forumites start and run (and often discontinue) their music-related business is of interest to many who consider trying to incorporate their hobbies into their careers. In the last 17 years, many business owners, industry professionals, and even some "named" pro players have come through for little more than talking gear and music with people of similar interests. What is the difference if Bruce posts his own news release versus anyone else posting a heads up about a new product they found?

Besides, sometimes we get great entertainment like Doug Roccaforte's famous melt-downs....classic!

This is how I see it.

And I wish you guys the best of luck. Those designs made at as good as or better than Reverend quality are absolutely history making and I'm proud so much of it came through our forum.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by John Backlund

View Post

I'm a little embarrassed by the Leo comparison, Bruce.....maybe I'd be more properly paired up with Orville Redenbacker, or those Bartles & James guys...but I probably play a guitar a bit better than Leo did...though ironically....on my/his Telecaster.

I agree, I think the comparison with Leo is stretching it a bit.

John/Bruce, I'd be interested in hearing what you feel is nnovative about these guitars apart from the very cool shapes and form.

What do they have that others don't, and what will wow me if I pick one up?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scolfax

View Post

I'm this >

I was just told that rosewood and maple boards were an option.

we have 57 days. so there will be a little bit of a wait before I can answer some of your questions.

I wish that was not the case...

just know that like everyone here, I'm rabid for guitars too and that I will be doing everything I can to build what you guys want. but not everyone will be made happy on this first run. unless of course this thing were to blow up and we hit 200K or some crazy number.

but there has to be some limits here..

If we are successful with just this one.

then on the next run, we can address the different versions.

this is all about getting a very BIG snowball to start rolling. once its rolling, then ANYTHING is possible.

And to John backlund.. OK maybe the Leo comparision is over the top..

But I will say this,

There has been many guitar designs since 1959 that were not as cool or as ergonomic as your designs. and having studied hundreds of those designs and even built quite a few, I can say without reservations that

John Backlund broke a design barrier.

and having now seen dozens of NEW designs by guys that are now COPYING John Backlund. I feel its important to remind the public that John was the first and the original.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

View Post

I agree, I think the comparison with Leo is stretching it a bit.

John/Bruce, I'd be interested in hearing what you feel is nnovative about these guitars apart from the very cool shapes and form.

What do they have that others don't, and what will wow me if I pick one up?

First thing people notice is the playability of the neck and fretwork, the neck is very comfortable and fast. the 12-16 compound radius makes both chords and Lead playing easy and fast.

the body shape feels like an old friend, even more comfortable than a strat, with much better upper fret access.

the balance is better too, it naturally wants to hang in playing position, something no Gibson has ever done.

the control layout is also well thought out and accessable as well as the electronics, simple yet versitile was what everyone kept saying, and thats what we built.

the weight is a big feature as they feel very solid but not as heavy as other designs. the carveing of the body removes a great deal of weight even from woods like solid mahogany.

I built one for Joe Walsh out of a nice light weight piece of swamp ash and spanish cedar for his neck, and even WITH the stainless steel control plate, his guitar was only 3.9 lbs

the bridges string angle and the headstock and locking tuning keys were all taken into the design process to optimize the strings downpull in order to increase tuning stability.

the headstock angle is only 7 degrees as well as the bridges. this gives more than enough downward string pull, but too so much that the string binds in the nut or saddles.

it also helps with tremolo as well. and this guitar with an LSR roller nut and locking keys, is as good as any Strat Plus or Ultra I've ever played when i comes to staying in tune, Plus string changes are quick, easy and require no tools of any kind.

the neck joint is fully carved and very comfortable and allows great upper fret access with very little extra wood in your hand.

and the body shape also places the guitar in a better playing position so that your left elbow is NOT digging into your ribs when playing leads in the upper register.

in the end, a guitar is a guitar and many of the details I've given here are subtleties, but isn't it those same subtleties that drive us crazy.

We have worked hard to try to truly improve the art of Guitar design as well as the mechancs.

• Members

View Post

as of right now.. no its not..

but that CAN change, we still have 57 days to go.

that guitar in that color with the maple board and inlays is a thing of beauty (even with the trem that I would sink the claw screws so far into the body that it wouldnt move anyway!)

*keeps an eye on thread, $500 investment spots open for hard tails, and color availability*

give you $100 for the proto icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt

View Post

that guitar in that color with the maple board and inlays is a thing of beauty (even with the trem that I would sink the claw screws so far into the body that it wouldnt move anyway!)

*keeps an eye on thread, $500 investment spots open for hard tails, and color availability*

give you $100 for the proto icon_lol.gif

the prototypes are for sale.. but they are all handmade and so will have 3K price tags

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD

View Post

Very sad to see another American manufacturer feel the need to go overseas to find cheap labor.

RavenCAD,

I worked for 5 years solid for less than 2 bucks an hour... how much cheaper did you expect ME to go?

• Members

View Post

Very sad to see another American manufacturer feel the need to go overseas to find cheap labor.

Vote for politicians who will give us single-payer health care and lift the burden of health care costs off of American employers.

• Members

View Post

+1 - especially if they're just spamming online forums instead of actually purchasing advertising.

HC is for private, non-commercial use. Spamming of members, collecting email addresses for soliciting business, and similar activities are prohibited.

Except as permitted in areas designated by HC or its agents (such as mentions of gear for sale in member signatures, or designated "Spam" threads within forums), you may not engage in advertising to, or solicitation of, other Members to buy or sell any products or services through the Service.

Non Commercial Use by Members. The Website is for the personal use of individual Members only and may not be used in connection with any commercial endeavors except as noted in section (5f) below.

• Members

View Post

RavenCAD,

I worked for 5 years solid for less than 2 bucks an hour... how much cheaper did you expect ME to go?

Sadly, as a fellow artist, that sounds about right when working on a pet project someone didn't commission ahead of time. Sigh. I can't count how many times my employees made 5x more than me as the owner.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scolfax

View Post

Talking about guitars is way more on-topic than arguing about politics and economics. Obviously some of us are interested in these guitars so can the haters please move to another thread?

Hater - one who acknowledges the rules.

Nothing against the guitars. They look kind of cool and if they were American I may even consider buying a couple. Hopefully more manufacturers will come here and start peddling their wares. It seems to be something that people don't mind.

Just to clarify, it's now acceptable for manufacturers to join and start threads promoting their products, correct?

I know several manufacturers and distributors who I would bet are very interested in joining up if that's the policy over here.

• Members

View Post

I don't see all JBD models heading overseas, keep in mind that the Retronix brand was conceived from the beginning to be separate from the 'J. Backlund Design' guitars, though directly derived from them. I cannot visualize that there will not always be JBD guitar models built in the U.S. as long as Bruce can make them for those who are willing to have their JBD custom guitar 'master built', if you will. which is essentially what they have been for over five years now. I make my day to day living outside the guitar business so don't have to depend on it to pay the mortgage and put gas in the car, but Bruce does, and it's a tough haul. It's ridiculous that someone with his experience, skill, and building tallent...not to mention raw perseverence and determination can't make a better living doing this stuff. Perhaps the Korean connection will be the foundation for much better things to come for those who've put years of sweat into this project.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

Hater - one who acknowledges the rules.

Nothing against the guitars. They look kind of cool and if they were American I may even consider buying a couple. Hopefully more manufacturers will come here and start peddling their wares. It seems to be something that people don't mind.

Just to clarify, it's now acceptable for manufacturers to join and start threads promoting their products, correct?

I know several manufacturers and distributors who I would bet are very interested in joining up if that's the policy over here.

There are American made versions of these. Buy all you like.

If you'd spend more time here actually reading instead of just stirring up {censored}, you'd know that these started off as nothing more than john's art. It has grown from there and many of us are interested in hometown boy does good.

John and Bruce have both been contributing members here a long time. I imagine if one of us scored big with a recording deal and a bit record and shared it, that would be spam, too?

Lighten up.

Archived