J.Backlund design announces new Korean made models!

Bruce Bennett

I don't see all JBD models heading overseas, keep in mind that the Retronix brand was conceived from the beginning to be separate from the 'J. Backlund Design' guitars, though directly derived from them. I cannot visualize that there will not always be JBD guitar models built in the U.S. as long as Bruce can make them for those who are willing to have their JBD guitar 'master built', if you will.

I am glad that you are finding a way to make quality guitars more affordable. You have answered the desires of many forumites who have enjoyed your designs. I am also glad that since both you and John have been contributing members and have shared your guitar travels along the way with us, that you have seen fit to continue to share the latest installment of your journey. I would ask that people who have a political agenda to please head over to the political forum. This is neither the place or the time. PM Bruce if you'd like.

For those who are having troubles with the TOS and spamming, I do not see this as spamming but as a sharing which in all fairness would have been started by another forumite had Bruce not shared. Neither Jim Soloway nor Gregg Bogoshian were ever treated with this kind of disrespect here. You may report to the powers that be but I can promise another thread started by yours truly announcing the fabulous news about two of our forumites and Retrotronix Guitars.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am glad that you are finding a way to make quality guitars more affordable. You have answered the desires of many forumites who have enjoyed your designs. I am also glad that since both you and John have been contributing members and have shared your guitar travels along the way with us, that you have seen fit to continue to share the latest installment of your journey. I would ask that people who have a political agenda to please head over to the political forum. This is neither the place or the time. PM Bruce if you'd like.

For those who are having troubles with the TOS and spamming, I do not see this as spamming but as a sharing which in all fairness would have been started by another forumite had Bruce not shared. Neither Jim Soloway nor Gregg Bogoshian were ever treated with this kind of disrespect here. You may report to the powers that be but I can promise another thread started by yours truly announcing the fabulous news about two of our forumites and Retrotronix Guitars.

taxidriver.gif

• Members

Hater - one who acknowledges the rules.

Nothing against the guitars. They look kind of cool and if they were American I may even consider buying a couple. Hopefully more manufacturers will come here and start peddling their wares. It seems to be something that people don't mind.

Just to clarify, it's now acceptable for manufacturers to join and start threads promoting their products, correct?

I know several manufacturers and distributors who I would bet are very interested in joining up if that's the policy over here.

allow me to make this VERY SIMPLE for you..

its a thread about J.Backund Design Guitars.

some folks here would Like to know about them.. some would not..

those that don't

SHOULDN'T OPEN THE DARN THREAD!

I just placed you on my ignore list, so I can never see anything you post ever again..

your welcome to do the same and magically any thread I start, will simply not appear on your screen

Have a nice day.

• Members

+1 - especially if they're just spamming online forums instead of actually purchasing advertising.

HC is for private, non-commercial use. Spamming of members, collecting email addresses for soliciting business, and similar activities are prohibited.

Except as permitted in areas designated by HC or its agents (such as mentions of gear for sale in member signatures, or designated "Spam" threads within forums), you may not engage in advertising to, or solicitation of, other Members to buy or sell any products or services through the Service.

Non Commercial Use by Members. The Website is for the personal use of individual Members only and may not be used in connection with any commercial endeavors except as noted in section (5f) below.

You weren't around here in 2005 were you? One of my first memories when joining this forum was this thread about a guitar for the 21st century. It was all started by John (he was called BigFun then) with some of his pencil renderings. Bruce brought the concepts to life and the rest is history. Without Harmony Central these guitars would very likely NOT exist. It's been explained to you how this is different. You choose to ignore the explanation and whine about the rules. Seriously dude just climb off your high horse or ride away quietly please.

• Members

Very sad to see another American manufacturer feel the need to go overseas to find cheap labor.

From the sound of it, not one American lost his job because of this move... actually it could very likely bring more money into our economy. If you want one of the MIA boutique jobs, this won't stop you.

• Members

You weren't around here in 2005 were you? One of my first memories when joining this forum was a little thread about a Tele for the 21st century. When I get the time I will post a link. It all started by John with some of his pencil renderings that floored those who participated in the discussion. Bruce was one of them, and the rest is history. Without Harmony Central these guitars would
very likely
NOT exist. It's been explained to you how this is different. You choose to ignore the explanation and whine about the rules. Seriously dude just climb off your high horse or ride away quietly please.

He was here, but under a different name claiming to live in Hawaii with his wife Pat Benatar.

• Members

during my foray into Deletelng BG76 I noticed he started a thread about Elliot Easton from the Cars

It probably won't interest him to know, that I'm currently building Elliot Easton a Mosrite sounding J.Backlund JBD-800 in candy Tangerine

AND we used BML inc. partner Kevin Maxfield's hand signed by Semi Mosley, serial 002 Mosrite to compare it with.

we nailed it tone wise.

I'm working on the inlays and frets right now.

• Members

I know I'm an abrasive personality, and I can tick people off with my very presence sometimes,
thats my own personal curse and I think I bear it pretty well.

But Johns Designs deserve a serious consideration from anyone that claims to be a guitar player.

and Thats all I set out to do. I'm not trying to become a millionaire,

it would be a very nice thing just to be able to pay my bills on time.

but I'm happy just to build and enjoy the work.

so me telling everyone here about the work I enjoy doing. if thats spam. then so be it.
I still see this as Guitar History.

who amoung us wouldn't have loved to be there when Leo Fender and Doc Kaufman created K&F
or when Leo Broke off from Doc and Started Fender Muisical Instruments?

ya know these "events" went unnoticed in their day.

but it doesn't have to be that way anymore. we have the internet to let us see things happening in real time. and even become a part of it.

THAT, IMHO is the epitome of COOL!
but you have to be quick to be able to see a situation for what it is in order to be "in " on it.

I can say I was lucky enough to have "been there" when the first Bixonic Expandoras first arrived in the USA. I was there when Billy Gibbons came to a little shop in Chattanooga TN to play one of these cool little "tuna cans" as he called it.
I was there when the Tobias shop was moved to Nashville and I saw all its growing pains in those first 2 years.
I was there when Warrior came into being. I was there when it fell apart too.

and Now I'm in the middle of it again and its just cool as heck.

no matter what people say or believe. all you REALLY ever get to keep in this life are the memories.

• Members

Hater - one who acknowledges the rules.

Nothing against the guitars. They look kind of cool and if they were American I may even consider buying a couple. Hopefully more manufacturers will come here and start peddling their wares. It seems to be something that people don't mind.

Just to clarify, it's now acceptable for manufacturers to join and start threads promoting their products, correct?

I know several manufacturers and distributors who I would bet are very interested in joining up if that's the policy over here.

BG76

Hall of Fame Member

Dec 2008

John Backlund

Jan 2006

Bruce Bennett

Mar 2001

Looks like you were the last one to the party {censored}stick:thu: If you don't like the taste of the punch, get the {censored} out:wave:

• Members

Very sad to see another American manufacturer feel the need to go overseas to find cheap labor.

Raven, we see eye to eye on many subjects, but I for one, cannot afford one of the American made versions of these, nor could my level of playing ever justify it. If I were to ever own one, it would have to be the Korean made one. I buy American whenever I can, but even the Buy America Act says that the US Federal government doesn't have to buy American if the object is made somewhere else for similar quality but significantly less money. Trust me, I run into that ALL of the time in my job.

• Members

Raven, we see eye to eye on many subjects, but I for one, cannot afford one of the American made versions of these, nor could my level of playing ever justify it. If I were to ever own one, it would have to be the Korean made one. I buy American whenever I can, but even the Buy America Act says that the US Federal government doesn't have to buy American if the object is made somewhere else for similar quality but significantly less money. Trust me, I run into that ALL of the time in my job.

We realized this too, and believe me, I didn't want to just "run overseas and make cheap guitars " so to speak. we could have done that 5 years ago..

and we won't stop building the American made J.Backlunds here in the shop in Chattanooga.

these designs deserve everything I can do to get them in players hands.

• Members

good luck, you guys. this is watching a dream in the midst of becoming reality. thank you for including us here. what kind of hardware (pickups, pots, tuners, etc.) should buyers expect to get on these guitars? is it manufactured and assembled overseas, or shipped to the states for assembly here in the US?

hey Bruce~ can you get back to me (and a few other forumites apparently) on my questions above; particularly regarding the hardware? the kickstart site is really light on details with respects to specs and component type/quality.

• Members

hey Bruce~ can you get back to me (and a few other forumites apparently) on my questions above; particularly regarding the hardware? the kickstart site is really light on details with respects to specs and component type/quality.

Yes, more details would be great. I'm currently in for a Tremolo model but spending on specs I might change to a hard tail.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

Yes, more details would be great. I'm currently in for a Tremolo model but spending on specs I might change to a hard tail.

• Members

FWIW I thought BG76 was just being BG76, hence my post about the spam thread referring him to Harmony Central Spicey Meat Products Thread (HCSMP). Then I thought the advertising got a bit much and ended up posting a spoof car ad, with free guitar. I withdrew that post immediately after reading Wayne's explanation on page 3. This is a different case from normal spam. Nice guitars, good project good luck. I am happy to take a black one on extended trial for the UK market. smile.gif

• Members

Specs. specs. specs. How you guys tease.

I'm going to have a little chat with the wife, but if I can, I'm going to go for the double trouble pledge of guitar and bass. I'll need to sell the Heritage to pay for it (no income right now - I'm trying to get my own business going) but I've always wanted a Backlund design.

Any more info about the bass too - neck style, active or passive, same colour options as guitars etc?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Elias Graves

View Post

He was here, but under a different name claiming to live in Hawaii with his wife Pat Benatar.

Otherwise known as GretschGuy.

He's an ass in most threads he posts in and I discount pretty much everything he says.

I would put him on ignore but I find his posts entertaining in an annoying sort of way.

Archived